Sign in to follow this  
nowinaminute

Have you ever regretted selling to someone you had a feeling would be trouble?

I had an old Nikko mini land cruiser up on ebay recently for £55. It was in good used condition and I added loads of photos and described it thoroughly. The only problem it had, which I disclosed fully, was the the electronics were a little jittery when I first tried it but they settled down after a few minutes.

It had about 15 watchers after a week when someone asked if I would be willing to sell it for £35, the car didn't owe me much so I though why not and agreed to the sale.

The guy instantly triggered alarm bells because he kept simultaneously saying he was eager to close the deal but then kept asking question about things I had already answered in the description. Does it work, are the gears ok? Are the tyres ok? Is drive goin to all four wheels? I answered all the questions and I even went to the effort of going into my work on my day off (where I was storing the truck) to make a video of it driving around which I uploadedto youtube for him to see it working:

I sent him the video and he said it looked good and he would pay that night! Hang on mate, you were keen to seal the deal, I've come into work on my day off to make a video, packaged it all up and then you say you'll pay tonight?

So the night comes and no payment, then a message saying he will pay the next day day so muggins here goes back into work on his day off AGAIN to go post it but nope, another text message, he's having "Internet connectivity issues" he then also has the cheek to stipulate which courier he wants me to use and tells me to "pack it well" he hasn't even paid yet!

He finally pays on Monday and I have it picked up by the courier on Tuesday.

The following are the last 3 text messages in have recieved from him:

7AZYGvX.jpg

Complete and utter nonsense, not only did I make a video showing it working fine but I took plenty of photos of every inch of the trick before I pit it on ebay.

This is the part that he claims is cracked and allowing the wheel to fall off:

7g8lMbv.jpg

Nothing cracked at all!

I can't even begin to explain how much I knew this was coming, if ever there was a time I should have gone with my gut instinct this is it!

I don't even know if I'm going to respond and if I do I don't even know where to start! 

Luckily we did the transaction outside of eBay so he can't open a case although he could still open a paypal one if he wanted.

Anyone else been in similar situations?

• Like 1

Offer him a full refund upon return and move on. eBay is full of such idiots unfortunately...

• Like 1

i had a prat like that,he bought a partital tl tree,then gave me neutral cos he bought full tree for same price days later,,,,,sorry not my fault you had the choice to buy mine or not

how do you know hes not wacked it into to something while turning?   stick his name in your ebay block list

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tam-trucks said:

how do you know hes not wacked it into to something while turning?   stick his name in your ebay block list

It worked fine when I sent it, you cant get any more obvious than a video of the thing driving around! Then he says he's very pleased with it then 24 hours he's "not pleased"

He's either after getting some of his money back, he's broken it or he had a broken one already and he wants to try and send that to me and keep the good one.

The truck is over 30 years old, it survived fine all that time, I've had it a year and driven it around multiple times with no issues and then within 24 hours of falling into his hands it's supposedly falling to bits!?

I'm trying to bite my tongue, for starters he got it for £25 less than it was up for, then I went into work on my day off TWICE, dragging my daughter behind me who I only get to see on weekends just to have my time wasted, I took a video of it driving around and he knows for a fact that the ebay listing has a high res photo of the very part he claims is broken. I've bent over backwards for a paltry sum of money and he has the nerve to lie to me. The use of the word crap annoyed me too, I'm the last person to be offended by swearing but I found the context to be really condescending and rude, I don't appreciate being spoken to like that one bit.

I think he realised he was taking the mickey a bit too much, that second text message definitely has an element of backtracking to it even though it's dressed up the same as the first.

The last time I had to deal with someone like this was when I sold an old vintage camera lens and in one of the photos it was shown attached to a camera with the caption "camera is shown for demonstration purposes only - not included) and the clown opened a case saying he received his lens but not the camera, what camera mate? No mention of a camera anywhere so what camera did he think he was buying? Which make? Which model? You could literally only see a few centimetres of the camera, it could have been one from 2017 or 1817.

6 minutes ago, nowinaminute said:

It worked fine when I sent it, you cant get any more obvious than a video of the thing driving around! Then he says he's very pleased with it then 24 hours he's "not pleased"

He's either after getting some of his money back, he's broken it or he had a broken one already and he wants to try and send that to me and keep the good one.

The truck is over 30 years old, it survived fine all that time, I've had it a year and driven it around multiple times with no issues and then within 24 hours of falling into his hands it's supposedly falling to bits!?

I'm trying to bite my tongue, for starters he got it for £25 less than it was up for, then I went into work on my day off TWICE, dragging my daughter behind me who I only get to see on weekends just to have my time wasted, I took a video of it driving around and he knows for a fact that the ebay listing has a high res photo of the very part he claims is broken. I've bent over backwards for a paltry sum of money and he has the nerve to lie to me. The use of the word Sh%t annoyed me too, I'm the last person to be offended by swearing but I found the context to be really condescending and rude, I don't appreciate being spoken to like that one bit.

I think he realised he was taking the mickey a bit too much, that second text message definitely has an element of backtracking to it even though it's dressed up the same as the first.

The last time I had to deal with someone like this was when I sold an old vintage camera lens and in one of the photos it was shown attached to a camera with the caption "camera is shown for demonstration purposes only - not included) and the clown opened a case saying he received his lens but not the camera, what camera mate? No mention of a camera anywhere so what camera did he think he was buying? Which make? Which model? You could literally only see a few centimetres of the camera, it could have been one from 2017 or 1817.

You went above and beyond. The kind of seller we all hope to by from going in in your days off twice etc. Some people in this life are just bad news and go through life being bad news. Never had a selling experience as I've never sold anything on eBay. Had a bad buying experience this week off amazon. Plasti dip didn't turn up. Ten days over due from delivery date. Contacted seller, no response within the time frame. Easily sorted as filed a claim and instant refund from amazon. 

Don't these people get on your nerves it makes you wonder if they deliberately go through there pointless lives just getting up people's noses!, I must admit I have only had normal people buy the rc's I've sold on eBay (thankfully!) But I did have one stupid chump when I put a special edition scalextric set on eBay kept on email me to offer me £15 for the scalextric if I drove to his house and delivered it! Even though it was 3 days into the listing and it was at £65?, It's frightening to think that these sort of idiot's live among us!

Not to get too far off topic but I'm growing tired of dumb offers on ebay myself.  Had something listed at I think 125 plus shipping last week and 2 days into the auction some guy offers me 100 if I pay shipping.  I tell him no and he gets tweaked with me, telling me he would pay more if it was complete.  Just move along, you know.  Same auction, another offers on it and wants to drive 2 hours both ways to pick it up.  I tell him no local pickup but I'll eat the cost of shipping to him.  His response to me was why should he pay for shipping when he wants to pick it up!  Um, I just offered to pay for it!  Definitely not the same market it was in the past.   

Twice I have regretted a sale, Lucky for me though, After no response / payment from the buyers I cancelled the order before things really went south. I see Ebay now automatically opens non payment cases after 48 hrs, Although I like this It does annoy me that they state it is the seller who has opened the case, When in fact it is an Ebay automation. Of course they are just trying to insure they get their bit...