Sign in to follow this  
guitarman

CC-01 Turning Circle

Well I took my Pajero out for its first run in the garden today and besides thinking I had broken it (One of the motor

leads became unplugged)

I find the turning circle is enormous.

Apologies if I have asked this before  but could someone please tell me how to make it smaller.

Thanks

This is typical of any trail rig with locked diffs. You can always unlock the front diff for a better turning radius but it won't climb over anything then lol.

Not necessarily. If you unlock the front diff but slow it's action significantly with a really thick, sticky grease, you gain turning ability with very little in the way of offroading penalty.

Ah. In that case, try locking the front one and drive it like that for a bit. Your current turning circle will seem brilliant by comparison! :)

• Like 3

On a more serious note, have you fitted universals up front? If so, you can trim off the travel limiting pegs from the C-hubs for more steering throw. Some people also carve away part of the upright or fit aftermarket uprights that allow more throw.

yep front steering needs some adjusting on the CC01, have a look at some of the crawler forums that are around loads of tuning tips there.

the bits to lock the front should be the same as for the rear diff

There are also little nubs on the front hub carriers you can cut/grind off that will give you a little extra steering throw. I'll see if I can find you a photo later. Be aware that if you do this in conjunction with raising the front suspension, you will need universals for the front or you will be forever popping out the front dogbones.

Thanks everyone.

As far as I know I built the chassis stock so I don't even think I locked the diffs.

A picture would be good thanks.

The steering is really the weakest point of the CC-01 but they are loads of fun. Once you get the mod bug there is lots you can do to them, check out rccrawler and some of The builds in the CC-01 section, tons of info there. 

I am not unhappy with my Pajero and I don't have a problem with

the sloppy steering that the cc-01 is famous for in fact because this is my first

car having to reverse out of certain places is good for getting used

to which way to steer the car.

I think the cost of the upgrade parts will be best used put towards my next model

but I will check out rccrawlers anyway.

To get the best steering angle on CC01 I need to bolt in GPM steering rack and change to CVDs before trimming off the lock-stop nubs on the c-hubs.

If you try trimming it with stock dogbones, they start clicking at full lock = bad. 

My SWBs have a turning circle of about 4'. 

I have read so many negative comments from people who have

installed the GPM steering mod I don't think I would bother.

As I said previously better to put the upgrade cost to a new kit.

The steering mods is the one I liked best on my Pajero, big improvement, that and the rear damper and linkage mod. 

vhpKP9frHpK_DDA1hMHWz3FZmldBl_3Lf6N7yo1A

• Like 1

Yes the CC-01 turns worse than an oceanliner.

I also have the gpm steering, it was still slipping at the factory setting so threadlocked it and just wrenched as tight as I could, has stayed intact since.

This combined with a decent servo (and would recommend the alloy servo bracket too) makes the minimal steering at least do as it is told. Double locked diffs make it worse. 

Pretty sure as standard they come with two diff lock plates for the rear, you may have installed them via the instructions, but easiest way to check is to turn a rear wheel by hand.

20140823_155455_zpsn39yit28.jpg

No instructions provided with it but it's not simply plug&play - there are 2 tricks with the GPM steering set...

#1 I throw away all their screws and substitute my own hi-tens black steel or stainless; measure & use the longest possible

#2 nearly every recent set I've installed on a new XC tub, the shaft is just a smudge shorter than ideal. If you simply mindlessly crank it all down tight, you'll be crushing the 850 bearings with a sideload that they're not designed to bear & they'll fail prematurely. (Crushed bearings go notchy ratchety; once you've dented the balls/races they're junk)

I press in the 2 nylon bearing mounts making sure they're fully seated then dryfit the shaft & levers... usually end up filing down the inner coned edge of either lever by 0.1-0.3mm to give the 850s enough float so when I bolt them down its all still smooth turning.

On final assembly... IMHO it's more important to threadlock *between* the levers and the shaft where the flats are, than the screws itself. The screw just holds the lever on, it's not intended to key the shaft/lever together... so fill up any gap in the flats, it won't rock loose.

• Like 1

Do a Google search for "Tamiya CC01 steering mods"

Lots of hits come up, just work your way through them....ignoring the front mounted servo mod, and check out the others..

A lot of forum posts have been about the GPM kit being u/s, but with care and a bit of inginuity it can be made superb.....

I myself have watched youtube videos of cc01 mods, and have cut and shaved a lot off of the arms and knuckles, fitted CVD.s and tuned the steering.....it's still not good, but it is much better than standard....and I will soon be fitting a modified GPM kit to get more.

There is also the hilift crank mod (which mine had when I pilfered my cc-01 from a mate in our club), they use bigger bearings though which you need mod for.

You can also sand off some off the base nylon bush if using the gpm steering to get clearance so you can crank down the screws as much as you like to get it tight.

XC has been around for a quarter of a century :P there'll be more steering mods invented for it than there are Trump haters. 

There's many using various bits off other chassis eg hiLift but most involve a lot of unnecessary hacking & buying sprues where you only need 2 parts off it :( and glue... I HATE any hack mod involving glue.

Best DIY mod using 1150 bearings would be J.Anderson's I'd vote... but then again, don't really need bearings to be that big. (btw the orifice in the tub chassis is tapered, one end is narrower than the other)

So far GPM's set still the best value for price, quality & easy availability. Lately there's another mob "hot racing" offering similar but they're twice the price so I haven't tried theirs yet.

This rig don't turn in a small circle but this is what I did to mine and the steering gets better.