Granddad Stinky

Servos (again?)

I'm sure this had been done to death, so please feel free to direct me to the right place.

A little while ago I bought some cheap servos from FleaBay. Guess what? Yup, they're cheap! 

They're fine on my boats, where they just move a rudder but I'm sure the one in my DT-03 is skipping teeth internally, leaving the servo saver at an angle.

What's a reasonable servo to handle Buggy life, that won't break the bank?

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Supercoolnothing said:

I like savox 0252's for my bashers bit more ex but really good quality although like all savoxs they can be a bit power hungry. 

Yeah I like Savox. I run a 0231 waterproof  in my neo scorcher. I wanted 2 in my truck but researched 2 of them running through one receiver port probably would be too much and cause a trip off.

I was running a 10kg Rage RC in mine. All metal gear, double ball bearing servo for about $10. Very nice unit to begin with. I came down hard and knocked one of the ic chips off the logic board. All 8 solder joints busted hahaha. Now I'm trying a 15kg Qunqi for $12. Same all metal gear and double ball bearings. So far so good.

I use an Alturn AAS700 in my F103, which has withstood a season of learning to race on a track, i.e. many, many collisions, with no issues whatsoever. It has nylon gears but is waterproof and ballraced.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have a £7.50 alturn in my dt03. No problems.

This sounds fine for me, I have to manage my disability benefits.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

I don't think it's stripping teeth, it's either not meshing properly and skipping one tooth, or one gear riding over the other. The amount that it moves is always the same.

1 hour ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I don't think it's stripping teeth, it's either not meshing properly and skipping one tooth, or one gear riding over the other. The amount that it moves is always the same.

Did you have the end points set properly? If the servo has to travel more than the steering allows, it can usually skip or strip a tooth and every time you turn the opposite way, it will veer to the other side. Also make sure there is nothing binding your steering.

I prefer Savox 0254 for non metal geared, or the 0352 for metal. Those are my go to servos. 7kg and 14s minimum.

On a light 2WD buggy like the DT-03, a Futaba S3003 does a reliable job from my own experience. I personally wouldn't go lower. Mind the numerous fakes on Ebay, though.

Also, mind that some servo manufacturers have hubs incompatible to Tamiya's Futaba and Acoms spline type servo savers. Hitec is one of those coming to my mind.

cheers, GregM

Is this for a racer or a basher? I tried a S3003 on my 4wd and it lasted 4 mins on the track, just couldn't handle the constant jumps and landings. I have found secondhand savox to be the best bet, they are pretty much indestructible, rebuildable, and its surprising how many of them are floating around having done half a dozen race meets for about 40% of the new price. If you are going to check out a club ask around, just pitch it along the lines of you know you need to upgrade, what do people suggest and there will be someone with a spare in their toolbox willing to part with it.

20 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Alturn US 770. Cheap as chips but really good

These must be really popular.

WheelSpin, ModelSport etc all sold out. A small model shop up north had two left, so I had them.

The guy said, with a ball raced spindle and being waterproof, he can't find enough of them to sell, even these were an order that was cancelled.

Who's a lucky boy then? 😁

• Like 1

These must be really popular.

WheelSpin, ModelSport etc all sold out. A small model shop up north had two left, so I had them.

The guy said, with a ball raced spindle and being waterproof, he can't find enough of them to sell, even these were an order that was cancelled.

Who's a lucky boy then? 😁

I usually buy mine off eBay. Where up north?

Are you sure it's not the splines on the servo slipping rather than the gears? Some of those cheapy eBay special servos have horribly weak splines!

2 hours ago, theRuggedMan said:

Are you sure it's not the splines on the servo slipping rather than the gears? Some of those cheapy eBay special servos have horribly weak splines!

Do you mean the servo saver slipping on the splines? I did check this with two TipEx marks, it's not that.

14 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I've had a cheap servo slip n the gears and not the splines. Ahhh good ol' Stoke on Trent, not north, Midlands ;-)

I'm a southern softie, anywhere above the M4 is up north! 😁

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

I've had a cheap servo slip n the gears and not the splines. Ahhh good ol' Stoke on Trent, not north, Midlands ;-)

For me it's always the splines and only after a large crash! Does my nut In sometimes!  Stoke on Trent!?!?  It's like another country to me! Anything past Stroud is north to me! Lol although I feel I'm in a strange land when I'm on the Mendips!

Do you mean the servo saver slipping on the splines? I did check this with two TipEx marks, it's not that.

Mute be those gears then!  These cheap servos can be false economy sometimes but there ok for shelfers!

18 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I'm a southern softie, anywhere above the M4 is up north! 😁

Yeah a suppose you have a valid point :-)