jlcox7

Yellow Plastic Coverup

I haven't tried yet, but was thinking of trying to paint all the yellow plastic pieces on a Boomerang or Falcon with paint. Anyone have any tips as to what kind of paint, preparations, and is it even worth the time to paint the shocks with the springs going over them? Would it be better just to replace them with allow?

thanks for any advice or input

Not related to Boomerang or Falcon...  But who else hates the yellow shocks?!?  Of all the colors to pick, why yellow?!?

Terry

Not sure what colour you had in mind but I used Rit dye to change all the yellow parts on one of my Falcons to black and it worked brilliantly........

For the shocks you can replace with black or probably just about any colour if you go aftermarket.............

Rit - the dye you use on clothes? how long did you let it sit in the dye?

Powder coated yellow shocks were common on off road vehicles of the 70s and 80s, and to an extent still now.  So I guess it's a scale hangover.  Personally I love the yellow shocks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LongRat said:

Powder coated yellow shocks were common on off road vehicles of the 70s and 80s, and to an extent still now.  So I guess it's a scale hangover.  Personally I love the yellow shocks.

There are a lot of things about the 80s I'd like to leave in the 80s...

688afc3cc652fe52f1314e5ee75f9a78.jpg

4 hours ago, jlcox7 said:

I haven't tried yet, but was thinking of trying to paint all the yellow plastic pieces on a Boomerang or Falcon with paint. Anyone have any tips as to what kind of paint, preparations, and is it even worth the time to paint the shocks with the springs going over them? Would it be better just to replace them with allow?

thanks for any advice or input

Matt enamel works fantastic over the type of plastic. Here's what I did years ago with the exhausts of the 1986 BIGWIG buggy:

resizer.aspx?uid=23692&w=1100&h=&pic=img23692_26012011220159_2&ext=.jpg&c=Y

Now dying them would be even better. If you do it, I would like to see how the buggy looks afterwards.

4 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Not related to Boomerang or Falcon...  But who else hates the yellow shocks?!?  Of all the colors to pick, why yellow?!?

Terry

As it has been said before in here, those shocks looked awesome back in the 80's. I know I loved that look myself, but nowadays it's a complete different story. And to be honest, it's not just the yellow shocks that look off but most those buggies from the second half of the 80's doesn't look right anymore, you know the "Shot" family and the others. But of course that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

Holy crap - I did not even know this was a thing . But I will be giving this a run on one of the kits I am working on. Black Rit dye, hotplate and a pot.

Seen some pics and videos on line - will post some photos for sure when I am done. thanks guys!

yellow shocks are great for rere models, instantly signifying the era to some degree, similar to how white has become popular recently

with different coloured parts and chassis its odd Tamiya haven't done any cva v2 shocks in blue, red or green??

come on Tamiya, let's see more colours!

• Like 1