ThunderDragonCy

Rising Fighter - Grasshopper 2 - Super Hornet DT02-3 4 bar front suspension mod

I have a Rising Fighter I bought for my kids. It's had a couple of hop ups with my old CVAs and AMPRO rear shock mounts and transmission stabiliser but I have hunkered after a 4 bar front suspension. What can I say? I like tinkering.

As much as the AMPRO kit is cool as this is my kids basher I really didn't want to move away from ABS plastic. That and not wanting to cry each time 22 bucks worth of AMPRO wishbone snapped in a big shunt!

I also have a load of DT03 front suspension leftover from my upgrades to my Grasshopper3 DT03, and I saw some cool double wishbone mods on grasshoppers on YouTube which got me thinking......

First thing I needed was to make a plate to mount the DT03 central wishbone mount (DT03 part C2). I used some 3mm aluminium and the Rising Fighter parts as a template for holes.

Rising Fighter DT02/3 front suspension modRising Fighter DT02/3 front suspension mod

Hand made and a bit rough. Holes in the DT03 part are 20mm lateral and 21mm longitudinal. I drilled 4mm holes to give me some wiggle room then some 12mm m3 machine screws and nuts to secure

Rising Fighter DT02/3 front suspension mod

I bought a pair of DT02/3 wishbone sprues Part No 10004254 on eBay for £6.

Mount them reversed to clear everything. I used screw pins to mount them but 48.5mm shafts would also work. You need to open out the holes in the central mounting with a 3.1mm drill. They don't have a pivoting shaft on the DT03 so are a tight fit otherwise. 

I used the DT03 c-hubs (part B1) and uprights as I upgraded my DT03 to GPM metal c-hubs and blitzer uprights for truck wheels so I had them spare. The Rising Fighter uprights would also work but you need the c-hubs.

I mounted the 64mm eye to eye CVA shocks in the outer position. 

Rising Fighter DT02/3 front suspension mod

For the top arms I used part 5 from the DT03 wishbone sprue

Rising Fighter DT02 front suspension mod v2

Into the end of this I threaded a ball screw from the CVA shock kit

I then lined up the part with the top of the chassis, backed up against the stiffening rib on the front suspension mount

I used the hole in the part as a template for a 2.5mm drill to put a hole in the tub. I used m3 x 15 self tappers as they were spare but 12mm would work.

I then drilled a second hole through part and tub and installed a second self tapper.

Rising Fighter DT02 front suspension mod v22017-06-02_08-41-14

The top arms and steering arms were all made using the DT02 turnbuckle set. I mistakenly bought this for my DT03 but the steering turnbuckles didn't fit. They are perfect here. All the longer steering arms and top arms can just as easily be made using M3 threaded bar and the tamiya ball ends and ball connectors. 

2017-06-02_08-44-41

And finished. Really good geometry.

No bump steer here

Bit of fun with some spares really. If you add up the cost of parts all together I am not sure I makes sense but it works REALLY well. Maybe one for you GH2 ReRe buyers?

Hope you like. 

Cheers!

• Like 6

Hummmm... I already saw something like this somewhere... :D

Good job! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sellig said:

Hummmm... I already saw something like this somewhere... :D

Good job! 

Ha! Indeed! Yours definitely helped with some details. I also saw an original Grasshopper on YouTube with TA06 suspension which gave me the idea for the central plate.

I was surprised the CVA shocks went straight in with no shortening, but the wider stance of the DT03 front end must just put them in the right place.

I don't have any plans for rear wishbones like yours though. 

• Like 1

Needed something printing at Shapeways for work so knocked up a solid version of the lower wishbone mount. Got it today and works really nicely. Handling is so fun now the front end sticks to the floor.

20170619_20060120170619_200619

• Like 4

Wow ThunderDragonBody, good job!

Defiantly the next thing I do to my Rising fighter!

Owain

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwainP said:

Wow ThunderDragonBody, good job!

Defiantly the next thing I do to my Rising fighter!

Owain

Thanks. I did a 3d printed wishbone mount after this. It is in the TC Designs forum.