Ann3x

What is the #1 thing you hate about Tamiya?

3 hours ago, Peter_B said:

Are there any magazines any more? I haven't found any sign of any.

First one I ever bought, when I first got into RC as a kid, was the Nissan King Cab edition of RCMC.

Yeah I subscribe to RC racer! I think it's the only one left in the uk!

0000.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, moffman said:

Yeah I subscribe to RC racer! I think it's the only one left in the uk!

0000.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought a copy of the August issue from WHSmiths. I don't often go in there but went in on the off chance.

Shameless Tamiya fanboy that I am, there's not much I hate about Tamiya. Well, nothing actually as hate's too strong a word. But another thread made me remember something that I think is a bit poor; not removing the mould

lines on expert-built ABS bodies. I mean really! For some of the complex paint-jobs that can take many hours, and they can't spend 5 minutes with a sanding stick. It makes me wonder what the point of making

such beautiful detailed moulds is if you're going to leave the flashing on the finished shell.

11 hours ago, Fuijo said:

Shameless Tamiya fanboy that I am, there's not much I hate about Tamiya. Well, nothing actually as hate's too strong a word. But another thread made me remember something that I think is a bit poor; not removing the mould

lines on expert-built ABS bodies. I mean really! For some of the complex paint-jobs that can take many hours, and they can't spend 5 minutes with a sanding stick. It makes me wonder what the point of making

such beautiful detailed moulds is if you're going to leave the flashing on the finished shell.

Mould lines, I hate 'em with passion. Nothing a piece of sand paper can't solve. I often see super nice paintjobs here and all of a sudden, oh, no they have not prepared the bodyshell properly, ugh. 

Now back to topic. I don't know, the new ABS bodies seem to come with much more mould lines than the ones that were made in Japan back in the day. Still, if I had to mention something I hate about Tamiya then that would have to be their PRICES!

Mechanical speed controls.

I just got a new build King Blackfoot from Germany that had all the mechanical speed control stuff in it and I was excited to drive it. The truck came with a stick radio and I just cannot get used to driving it with the MSC. I have almost crashed it I don't know how many times because for one I'm not used to stick radios, as I don't like them in general, and it is really funky and touchy with the MSC. As soon as we can afford it, I'm getting a ESC to drop in it. I may rip the stick radio out of it as well and just get another 2.4 GHZ receiver for my Tower Hobbies pistol grip radio.

Lynn

I understand how important was California in the development of offroad motorsports like desert races, but c`mon why on earth all of the license plates in Tamiya RC models have to be from that specific state?? Why can't I have one from GA, SC or NC instead?? I'm working nowadays on a couple of vintage Scorchers and a Sand Rover and I am not excited about the CA lic plates. Also it's pretty much impossible to modify the ABS made lic. plate. <_<

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

I understand how important was California in the development of offroad motorsports like desert races, but c`mon why on earth all of the license plates in Tamiya RC models have to be from that specific state?? Why can't I have one from GA, SC or NC instead?? I'm working nowadays on a couple of vintage Scorchers and a Sand Rover and I am not excited about the CA lic plates. Also it's pretty much impossible to modify the ABS made lic. plate. <_<

You could always make your own...

fuzzbox23.jpg

• Like 4

After a weekend of Schumacher cat xls building:unsure:, Tamiya just continue doing what ya doing I have no complaints;)!

• Like 3

On 07/08/2017 at 5:51 AM, mongoose1983 said:

Even staying with the desert racers, a good part of the Mint 400 was in Nevada. So at the very least some Nevada plates would be nice. I guess at the time it was just that California was somehow "cooler".

Agree with the notion of some more modern, cutting edge mainstream vehicles would be really nice - Use the grasshopper or Blackfoot fame to make a cool 1/8 scale RTR basher or something the average hobbyshop browser would get excited about and buy on a whim.

4 hours ago, Driveforfun said:

Agree with the notion of some more modern, cutting edge mainstream vehicles would be really nice - Use the grasshopper or Blackfoot fame to make a cool 1/8 scale RTR basher or something the average hobbyshop browser would get excited about and buy on a whim.

Yes this is something I would like to see. Onroad has it sorted, TT02, TA07 then TRF419, a nice progression of skill, quality, price etc. Buggies have been neglected though, you go for TT02B or TRF, the mid range DF03 and DB01 are old and getting hard to find now. They need to offer updates of the DB01 and DN01 as a mid range offering like the TA07, which can be the entry into club racing or just a more capable basher.

• Like 2

Oh that's easy.  There's no front-motor RWD M-chassis in existence.  They have made a dozen FR bodies for 225mm & 239mm. 

Don't get me started on the M05 MX-5 kit.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, firefoxussr said:

Don't get me started on the M05 MX-5 kit.

THANK YOU!!! I never understood why they put the MX-5 on a FWD chassis! I kept quiet about it, thinking I was the only person that this stuck out to as odd. Being a 1:1 MX-5 owner and M-06 owner, there was only one thing I could do.

MX-5 body on M-06 RWD chassis. The way it should be.

36508577402_872b5cbd53_c.jpg

(Stickers pending)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/19/2017 at 7:31 PM, Kingfisher said:

THANK YOU!!! I never understood why they put the MX-5 on a FWD chassis! I kept quiet about it, thinking I was the only person that this stuck out to as odd. Being a 1:1 MX-5 owner and M-06 owner, there was only one thing I could do.

MX-5 body on M-06 RWD chassis. The way it should be.

36508577402_872b5cbd53_c.jpg

(Stickers pending)

Very pretty, I like the color choice.  I too own a 1:1 MX-5 (1999) and a M06 which I went full scale on and made a 911 GT2.  I do have some NB & ND bodies to build one day.

There are a few M06 MX-5 ND shell builds exist on RCtech, couldn't find any links.

Someone made one on a MF01x as well:
31067906820_f9327f515f_o.png
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/885710-tamiya-mf01-x-chassis-thread-6.html

• Like 1

12 hours ago, firefoxussr said:

Very pretty, I like the color choice.  I too own a 1:1 MX-5 (1999) and a M06 which I went full scale on and made a 911 GT2.  I do have some NB & ND bodies to build one day.

There are a few M06 MX-5 ND shell builds exist on RCtech, couldn't find any links.

Someone made one on a MF01x as well:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/885710-tamiya-mf01-x-chassis-thread-6.html

That Calsonic themed MX-5 looks good.

I agree with most, my two complaints are lack of bearings with the kits and die cut decals.

Outside of that I like the need to do hop ups, its half of the fun right there.

Oddly bearings doesn't bother me. I'm quite happy to buy seperately with metals shielded in the gbox and rubber shield on axles/wheels. Having stripped a neglected truck with metal shielded bearings apart from being disgusted with myself for the neglect, putting it away dirty meant they were really badly seized. It dawned on me that Tamiya have it right on entry level kits designed for kids and minimal maintenance. I've never had a bush fail and only bitd did I have plastic ones worn sufficiently to need replacing. Cleaning and regreasing is easy and they can sit on a shelf forever and not be an issue. They don't cause any running issues and although less efficient it's not like they melt (not with silver can at 7.2-7.4 volts anyway!

My biggest gripe is the included esc. It's great that the new esc is brushless and brushed compatible, but the lack of lipo lvc option is very bothersome. Means I have to ditch the esc and the default and excellent 1060 hobbywing unfortunately does not run brushless which would really make it a winner.

Cutting out shells in particular and less so graphics is also a pet hate. The former really delays me finishing kits.

The kit screws don't bother me, with the Jis drivers they are fine, if not I'm happy to pay to upgrade, same with the pinions. I'd rather they didn't up prices to allow for upgrading these things. 

I do hate the modern throw the kit randomly in a box packaging which quite often sees decals/shells getting damaged by kit astics protruding into them. They used to present them really well, even after the blister pack days they had that nice divider in the box. 

Cheers

Nito

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Kingfisher, I have seen them, I meant an esc that does both brushed and brushless that looks like it's BL only. If Tamiya added lipo lvc to their esc's you'd have the option to upgrade to lipo and or brushless as well as running brushed, currently something that no other esc at that price range does. Add waterproof and it would be a winner. I'd much prefer Tamiya to provide that than all the other parts mentioned above. Now I've made the move to lipo, Tamiya esc's don't feature on my rigs anymore. A lipo comp and waterproof tble02 esc would be great!! :)

Well not Tamiyas fault really but where I live (Helsingborg in Sweden) we dont have any hobbystore nearby.

That means that ever little thing I need must be ordered. Like now I found that I needed one of the X colors, to finnish my build, and its like 3,50 dollars and the shipping is 4.90

20 minutes ago, Jorgen said:

Well not Tamiyas fault really but where I live (Helsingborg in Sweden) we dont have any hobbystore nearby.

That means that ever little thing I need must be ordered. Like now I found that I needed one of the X colors, to finnish my build, and its like 3,50 dollars and the shipping is 4.90

I am in the USA and while there are misc LHS, I order everything online globally.  I honestly can't remember the last time I actually went to a brick and mortar in the USA.. all my paints are ordered online too.   I think the only thing I get locally is superglue..I ask my wife to pick one up from time to time at the supermarket.  :lol:

So you're not alone!  :blink:

• Like 2

I can't stand that Tamiya would re-release the Egress without the one thing that actually made the Egress unique..... It's front lower shock mounts.

Also that they would take established names like super-avante and Egress-black-special and repurpose them for lazy cash grabs.

Both cases are insulting to fans of the original products.

Since it's already been brought back from the dead,

I hate the fact that a Third Gen Camaro (82-92)body was never offered. The 1987 IROC Concept would have been cool.

-RC Perspective

(The other stuff I can live with LOL)

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I am in the USA and while there are misc LHS, I order everything online globally.  I honestly can't remember the last time I actually went to a brick and mortar in the USA.. all my paints are ordered online too.   I think the only thing I get locally is superglue..I ask my wife to pick one up from time to time at the supermarket.  :lol:

So you're not alone!  :blink:

Oh I'm the opposite now! I used to order all over from stella models in Japan to tamico in Germany and others but that all stopped when boris had a wonderful idea  (where is he now) but as a stroke of luck a very local rc shop opened pretty much the same time as I was getting hammered for import tax and duty when my items arrived in the UK and the likes of tamico stopped taking my orders under a certain amount of value:( so now I'm just loyal to my LHS and he's been super reliable!

• Like 2