ALEXKYRIAK

Racing Fighter Build

EDIT: this thread has been rebuilt, having transferred the photos from photobucket to Flickr (12.01.2017)

Ok, so this started out as a 'build an alternative to the Mad Bull in the form of a monster buggy' concept, using a Racing Fighter DT-03 as a base (inspiration: see @ThunderDragonCy DT-03 build, it's awesome).

What actually happened was I kind of fell in love with the Racing Fighter and decided to build it as per the original design, albeit with a range of hop-ups, and an odd personalised mod here and there....  Here goes.

So this little badger turned up in the post. An absolute steal from Tamico, CVA dampers and Torque Tuned motor included.

IMG_3848

Love the design and format of the chassis and frame:

IMG_3855

First move is to connect the two halves of the chassis. Quite like this design, 3 screws to hold this together:

IMG_3879Dt03

Front suspension brace attached. Hop up coming here soon:

IMG_3884

On to the servo build. Savox Digital SC-1251MG is servo of choice here:

IMG_3887

To be paired with a GPM Racing Products servo saver. Looks more like just a servo steering piece to me, not sure how this constitutes a saver:

IMG_3893

Servo saver mounted with ball studs to receive the steering arms:

IMG_3892

Hop up item. GPM servo mount. Couldn't find silver for love nor money:

IMG_3893

IMG_3894

First time I've used a dedicated servo mount. This is awesome, the servo feels rock solid on the chassis. Tight fit of the servo to the mount also:

IMG_3896

Servo saver mounted to the servo, using my trusty servo tester setup to ensure servo saver is mounted at absolute centre steering on the servo head. Awesome little piece of kit for very little outlay:  

IMG_3901

IMG_3902

From servo to steering. I plan to install the DT03 turnbuckle set. First time using these:

IMG_3903

Turnbuckle steering arms fixed to the servo:

IMG_3906

And installed into the chassis. Love the central design of this, with the angled position of the servo:

IMG_3907

And on to the front suspension. Another hop up here. This is the GPM front aluminium suspension mount, replaces the plastic piece:

IMG_3910

IMG_3911

With lower front arms mounted:

IMG_3912

Installed to chassis:

IMG_3914

And cover by front skid plate. Love the design of this front suspension mount assembly:

IMG_3915

IMG_3917

IMG_3916

Next, on to the front wheel c-hubs. A hop up here, aluminium hubs from GPM:

IMG_3919

Beautiful looking piece of kit. Have gone for silver all round where possible:

IMG_3920

And not forgetting the front knuckle arm hop up, also GPM:

IMG_3922

Installed ball studs for steering:

IMG_3924

The completed assembly at the end of the front arms. Also shown here is the turnbuckle upper "arm" hop up, which adjust wheel camber:

IMG_3946

IMG_3942

These turnbuckle steering link things can hurt thumbs when assembling, get some good pliers and a flat faced  plier, makes it real easy:

IMG_3940

• Like 3

On to the rear gear box. Decided to try out AW Grease as recommended on this forum, to achieve a semi limited slip differential affect:

IMG_3997

Applied to the differential gears (reverse callipers recommended..!)

IMG_3998

Installed in the main differential gear case:

IMG_4007

And with counter gear, all ball raced:

IMG_4002

Installed in gear box housing:

IMG_4005

Completed gear box:

IMG_4010

On to the motor. A brushless sensored speedpassion 13.5t.

IMG_4011

IMG_4012

Mounted into gearbox, motor set to the 17t pinion orientation:

IMG_4016

Spur gear fitted to gearbox, and 17t steel pinion fitted to motor:

IMG_4019

IMG_4018

Gearbox fully closed up:

IMG_4021

Rest of build to follow tomorrow night.

• Like 7

Lower arms mounted to the rear gearbox. Upper arms not required as these will be replaced with the turnbuckle arms:

IMG_4023

IMG_4025

Said arms from the DT-03 Turnbuckle set. These are a right pain to tighten up equally! I like the way the screw direction is opposite at each end to allow the arm to get longer or shorter:

IMG_4026

Next item to install, hop up Gear Box joints. This metal part replaces the plastic part N2. This is the main drive from the gearbox:

IMG_4028

Metal driveshaft replacement part for N3, 3 inch dogbone.

IMG_4034

The drive shaft links between the gear box joint and this part, the TG10 Wheel axle:

IMG_4033

The wheel axle sits in the GPM aluminium rear knuckle arms which carries the rear wheel:

IMG_4032

So here you can see the gear box joint mounted to the gearbox on the right, and the wheel axle and the rear knuckle arm on the left. Driveshaft not yet installed:

IMG_4035

Getting the driveshaft installed requires you to hold the knuckle arm in place and slot the shaft in....

IMG_4036

With some grease, I used molybdenum grease (not kit standard but used on the HotShot for example), got this from Tamico. Applied to the gear box joint and the wheel axle:

IMG_4030

So putting that lot together looks a bit like this:

IMG_4037

Again, the stock plastic upper arm is not required, turnbuckle arm replaces it, providing adjustability for camber.

(will have to post rest of build tomorrow.... Tamiyaclub website and photobucket website are playing up big time tonight, taking ages to post stuff - and I just lost a big bit of the post.... :(  )

• Like 3

Looks great! Following along. I just ordered the Chrome version, been waiting forever for it to get back in stock....What a great looking piece of art!

Ok so all suspension arms on, front and rear:

IMG_4045

IMG_4047

So now onto the shock towers - sorry, "damper stays". Another hop up here, carbon damper stays. Mmmmm.... lovely carbon:

IMG_4050

Front is top, rear is below:

IMG_4052

Front damper stay:

IMG_4065

Rear stay:

IMG_4079

Another nod to ThunderDragon, I checked out the DF-03 spring set, very nice hop up pack indeed. These are to go on CVA 2 mini (front) and short (rear) shock bodies.

IMG_4053

IMG_4058

IMG_4057

^^^Very useful diagrams, these ^^^

When building the shocks, I went with three hole pistons front and rear in the end:

IMG_4060

Black springs front (stiff), gold rear (medium).  

IMG_4062

• Like 1

Ball studs mounted to damper stays: this is the top of the rear:

IMG_4075

Long ball stud screw goes into rear lower arm:

IMG_4074

Rear shock installed:

IMG_4083

IMG_4079

Front shocks:

IMG_4078

IMG_4084

IMG_4085

Wheels and tyres, tried ThunderDragons Schumacher CAT block tyres mounted onto the kit standard wheels, because they look awesome on stock wheels...!:

IMG_4090

Installed to chassis:

IMG_4111

IMG_4109

IMG_4112

• Like 2

Front wheel inside detail with front C-hub and knuckle arm:

IMG_4119

IMG_4120

Rear inside hub detail:

IMG_4123

Time to test fit body:

IMG_4162

ime to

About to paint.... still can't decide on a bl**dy colour scheme.... only had a month to choose....!

IMG_4177

Went stealth black in the end....!

IMG_4219

IMG_4225

IMG_4257

IMG_4224

IMG_4220

IMG_4235

IMG_4237

IMG_4230

IMG_4248

IMG_4252

IMG_4255

IMG_4251

Will sticker it up at the weekend....!

• Like 8

One minor mod you'll see in the pics above is the angle up of the rear wing, to give it a bit more of an aggressive, more old-school buggy feel:

IMG_4222

This was achieved using this piece, the stock rear gearbox bracing arm, part C3. This was a left over as I replaced this with an aluminium hop up as mentioned earlier in the thread:

IMG_4184

Made some holes in the rear wing bracket, traced the C3 holes onto M5, shown in two white dots below:

IMG_4185

And drilled M5 and M4 at the same time (vice used to hold them together), and then fixed the C3 part to it:

IMG_4187

IMG_4205

This pushes the wing part upwards when mounted to the wing mount:

IMG_4258

IMG_4259

Just used a 3mm drill to create the two holes in parts M4 and M5, and two m3 bolts and two m3 nuts to connect the two pieces. Nice uplift at the rear end...!

IMG_4250

• Like 7

Looks good, i wish i could find the gpm front suspension arm mount. One of the only upgrades i dont have for my dt03t

• Like 1

Thanks guys, really enjoyed building it. Big thanks to Thunder's detailed build thread, learned a lot from him. 

Will need to give it some stickers.

I also have a second body I'll try in an orange colour. 

Then I will run it...!

I'll try to create a consolidated list of the components and hop ups used in this thread soon. 

• Like 3

I quite like the look of these. Not had a 2wd buggy since my first which was a Hornet.

Best leave it til after I get my boys some cars though.

Or I could go for red body, silver roof, white wheels, a few number 3 stickers, and make it 'project RacingShot'....!

Excellent looking DT03, just as good looking as that new chrome version they released!

• Like 1

Thanks Sellig and Jason. Hmmm, chrome you say.... interesting.... !

23 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Looks good, i wish i could find the gpm front suspension arm mount. One of the only upgrades i dont have for my dt03t

Yeah, I searched high and low for that component; Europe, US or Asia, no joy however. Sometimes you can't let one hop-up hold up the whole build, so I had to ignore it on this one. In a mad irrational burst of purchasing insanity,  I sort of ordered another Racing Fighter kit right after finishing the paint job of this one on Sunday night ...

Nice build I've broken or bent quite a lot of my gpm aluminium parts and replaced them with the kit plastic parts again. The aluminium servo mount makes a big difference to the stiffness of the front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gary1365 said:

Nice build I've broken or bent quite a lot of my gpm aluminium parts and replaced them with the kit plastic parts again. The aluminium servo mount makes a big difference to the stiffness of the front.

Have you broken the gearcase where the arms connect? I have broken it four times since january, prior to that went a year with no issues. 

I have all the tamiya hop ups with no issues. GPM parts i have rear knuckles, hexes, c hubs and front rocker arms never had issues. I had the gpm dogbones but changed to tamiya universals. 

I can vouch that jazzride aluminum is junk

Fingers crossed I've had no rear end breakages. I bent the front hubs and broke the shock tower mount.

20170428_190135_zpsuyl1wclm.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:31 PM, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Ok, so this started out as a 'build an alternative to the Mad Bull in the form of a monster buggy' concept, using a Racing Fighter DT-03 as a base (inspiration: see @ThunderDragonCy DT-03 build, it's awesome).

What actually happened was I kind of fell in love with the Mad Fighter and decided to build it as per the original design, albeit with a range of hop-ups, and an odd personalised mod here and there....  Here goes.

IMG_3848

Ok, the second Racing Fighter kit turned up. Now I can start my Mad Bull Alternative project in earnest! 

• Like 1

Will do the Mad Bull alternative on a separate thread to keep this one simple. Looking forward to that one...!

On this car, I made a small adjustment to the rear shocks: I replaced part X1 with X2 to make the shocks longer- I think I overtightened X2 the first time around and damaged it, so had to make do with installing X1 until I could get more X2s. 

Went from top top to bottom:

IMG_4525

This X2 part was troublesome as I wasn't sure how much thread was supposed to be left visible. See below, this feels like I haven't installed it correctly but it doesn't seem to go on further than this:

IMG_4527

With the longer shock, the rear of the car now has a lot more clearance. Have subsequently corrected the amount of thread that goes into the plastic.