Wooders28

2 into 1 Ninja

I've had 2 Ninja's for a while with the intention of getting a runner and one for the shelf.

20170606_002148.jpg

20170606_002249.jpg

20170606_002337.jpg

20170606_002340.jpg

First job, wheels off. Not a good sign when the hex's just fall off 😔

20170606_003538.jpg

Next job, get the old electrics out. Actually not too bad!?!

20170606_004503.jpg

20170606_004921.jpg

Well,turned out the resistor in one was badly damaged and just collapsed.

20170606_010412.jpg

Unfortunately, 75mhz is illegal in the UK, it's for military use, (maybe not the people to mess with!) So this is destined for the bin.

20170606_005920.jpg

Not sure if anyone has seen this before, all the suspension mounts have been removed from wishbones and they'd used a spacer behind the shock eyelet!?! For what reason, I've no idea!

20170606_005437.jpg

20170606_005603.jpg

The shock spring retainer has also had some butchering, ended up using these, as it did fit better!

20170606_013109.jpg

So, after stripping the shocks and replacing the oil (looked like engine oil, is that what mauri's shock oil looks like??) ,finding that the roughest looking of the 2, is actually the better one. I'm needing to order bearings, plastic bushes have had their day.

Doesn't look too bad though 

20170606_022226.jpg

Next, gearbox and modern elecs 🙄

• Like 3

The ninja is one of my favourite cars from BITD.  I never owned one at the time, but did manage to purchase one a couple of years ago that appears in pretty good shape, though I haven't stripped it down yet!

• Like 1

Having now felt the quality of the plastic and the state of the hex's  (may have to try and make some?) I think I'll just be sticking with the silver can!

Well the bearings arrived so a bit more done.

20170611_112755.jpg

Just a bit of play in the plastic bushes.

20170611_112737.jpg

Couldn't get the gear off the spines,a bit of creaking plastic, didn't want to break it and with an E ring holding the shaft, couldn't pull from the other side.

20170611_132822.jpg

20170611_122535.jpg

So made a wee puller, which worked quite well.

20170611_122950.jpg

20170611_122832.jpg

Think they needed changed!!

20170611_151451.jpg

Turned out the 4wd shaft was bent, but of tweek and it was fine.

20170611_133854.jpg

These defo needed changed

20170611_150137.jpg

New modern elecs in and the chassis looks empty!

20170611_160448.jpg

All done, 2S lipo and 2.4 gear.

20170611_160733.jpg

Only thing I want to do is change the colour of the motor wiring to black and red , and a black aerial.

She ran really well for the couple of mins i ran it, needs the shocks, cambers and toe in setting up, (major toe out on full shock compression?), but really happy 😁

• Like 2

Great stuff! Or perhaps, curse you! as I ended up buying a couple of ninjas inspired by this thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert5000 said:

Great stuff! Or perhaps, curse you! as I ended up buying a couple of ninjas inspired by this thread. 

Sorry! 🙄😁

Amazed you managed to find one for sale, never mind a couple! 

• Like 1

Yeah, well -they leave a lot to be desired to be honest. They're both missing the battery lids, and one of them might be a shogun or at least attempting to be. So there's quite a few bits and bobs that needs to be sourced, but from a distance they don't look half bad so for now I'm not going nearer than 5 metres. If they, or at least one of them, end up half as good as yours I'll be chuffed! @Wooders28

6 minutes ago, Robert5000 said:

Yeah, well -they leave a lot to be desired to be honest. They're both missing the battery lids, and one of them might be a shogun or at least attempting to be. So there's quite a few bits and bobs that needs to be sourced, but from a distance they don't look half bad so for now I'm not going nearer than 5 metres. If they, or at least one of them, end up half as good as yours I'll be chuffed! @Wooders28

Cheers!

I don't think Marui did that many different chassis, I've a Coors thunderbird too, and I'm thinking most of the parts would swap over.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Cheers!

I don't think Marui did that many different chassis, I've a Coors thunderbird too, and I'm thinking most of the parts would swap over.

Oh! That was a really good piece of information, as the guy I bought them from said he had a Coors thunderbird he'd part with if I wanted. I might take him up on that once I've made list of what I need and thrown it at ebay. 

• Like 1

I'll dig it out and have a check, but pics on Google, looks likely! 

Coors thunderbird 

dsc_0232.jpg

Shotgun

_86.jpg

Colour is obviously a factor though.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch! @Wooders28 I need to drop that fellow a line to find out what his asking price is for the Coors thunderbird. 

• Like 1

Coors Thunderbird, Shogun and Ninja did indeed all share a basic chassis. I always liked the Ninja BitD. My best mate had one and it although it didn't have much on it that you could change, it always seemed pretty sorted off-road, although the lack of dialability meant it suffered on tarmac a little. It was also very well packaged, although bulky 80s electronics meant that it was sometimes a tight squeeze in that slimline chassis.

• Like 1

I've not driven it as hard as some of my others, (lack of parts availability!) but seems ok off road 👍

Bit of a speed run.

Castle 3800kv motor

Castle Sidewinder 3 esc

3s lipo

• Like 1

Great looking car, the Ninja. Everything about it sits just so. Even the stock wheels and tyres look great.

Except the holes for the rear shock towers. Never, ever cut square holes in Lexan car bodies. It does not end well. And I know that they tell you to do it that way, too, as my friend's pale blue example had the same square holes and he showed me the instruction manual when I asked him about it.

Not surprised you had to mount the GPS unit on the roof, though, as there isn't much room in a Ninja at the best of times.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Yalson said:

Exceptďťż the holes for the rear shock towers. Never, ever cut squareďťż holes in Lexan carďťż bodiesďťżďťżďťżďťżďťż.ďťżďťż

Circles are much stronger, without the corner weak spots, but it came like that! 😂

• Like 1

The other wheels aren't the best, flat spots, or split and flat spotted! 

2019-03-18_08-08-29

Been offline for a while... love this thread :-)  

I have a brand spankingly new Ninja Shelf Queen, and also 2 other Ninjas that are in perfect working order, BUT they do not have body shells - that is the problem.  I don't have the cash to buy remoulds and spray even though I would like to!...

This was my first ever RC and it was THE most unreliable car known to man... years later of course I find out from research that the plastic used for all the gears etc was made of a much softer compound than the Tamiya plastic, hence why they all used to break down a lot more...  I guess that is why Marui slowly ceased to manufacture RC cars anymore :-(

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Malakite said:

THEďťż most unreliable car known to man..

One of the reasons I've sold these now. I think its a waste to have cars sat on the shelf, so I run all mine, but couldn't really enjoy running them, as I was always worried about unavailable parts breaking!

I think it's,  team blue groove, that have a repo body & wing, and MCI have the decals,  so at least they are available ,as and when funds permit.

2 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

One of the reasons I've sold these now. I think its a waste to have cars sat on the shelf, so I run all mine, but couldn't really enjoy running them, as I was always worried about unavailable parts breaking!

I think it's,  team blue groove, that have a repo body & wing, and MCI have the decals,  so at least they are available ,as and when funds permit.

Team Blue Groove?  Is that an online company, or someone on eBay lol?