guitarman

Cheap Wheel Radio Question

Ever since my flying days I have always used a stick Tx and my Pajero is no different using a Core R/C Code

3 channel which I do like.

I see most people use a wheel Tx for cars and I was wondering if I should get a cheap

wheel radio just to see if I could get used to it but which one and how cheap do I go before I buy rubbish.

I had my mind set on this https://www.modelsport.co.uk/absima-4-channel-radio-cr4t-ultimate-2-4ghz-incl-receiver/rc-car-products/396837

mainly because it can be changed to left hand operation and its 4 channel.

No point spending that amount if I don't like the feel of it.

So thoughts recommendations appreciated.

I have the cheaper 2 channel version on my kids buggy. They love it. Seems fine for the money. Instructions for binding to the Rx aren't the clearest but it works. 

My two go-to budget brands are Tactic and FlySky. 

The Tactic TTX300 is quite nice for the money, but I think they're more readily available in the US. I have a few and they all work flawlessly.  I particularly like the wicked small, antennaless receiver. 

41D8cDvfRjL._SX342_.jpg

FlySky gear can be had for like $30 for a GT2B or GT2E transmitter with receiver.  Their receivers are equally small but do sport a short 2.4Ghz antenna.

414jDatJ4vL._SY300_.jpg

FlySky has a new i3 Red that I think looks pretty nice:

FlySky_Red_i3_3ch_24G_R_C_with_rx_A3.png

Flysky GT3C

Cheap, very light in weight (which is nice if you do long runs and also for kids a real benefit), loads of options, very good radio.
Option to modify it end expend the channels. You can even get it ready modified.
Lipo battery operated, so no AA batteries.
Available in several color schemes, black, orange, grey and green.
You can buy one somewhere in the region of 40 euro / 44 dollar / 35 pound. Around double for a ready modified one extended to a 6 or a 8 or 10 channel radio.
There are also kits available to modify it yourself.

Receivers are really cheap. Several options there. Prices for the receivers are in the region of 6,50 dollar / 6 euro / 5 pound. If you extend the channels, the receivers for that purpose are still dead cheap. Only a couple of dollar/euro/pound over the price of the standard receivers. Hobbyking also does a whitelabel Hobbyking version of them. The standard receiver is the Flysky FS-GR3E, the Hobbyking version is the HK-GT2R. Plus, these are some really small receivers and the weight is like nothing compered to some other brands. And easy to bind.

Extra Lipo batteries for them are available in 2 different types, a 800mAh and a 1700mAh. They kinda look like mobile Phone batteries.
Charging is simply done with a profided USB cable.

I tested the range of them, it is so far out, you will not be able to see your car anymore.
I have 4 of these, I love them.

For buying on look at Banggood, Ebay, Amazon, Hobbypartz.com or maybe even a LHS.

There is a ton of information concerning this TX on this forum, other RC forums and on YouTube.

-font-b-Flysky-b-font-FS-font-b-GT3C-b-f

fly-sky-gt3c-2-4ghz-transmitter-and-receiver-with-lipo-battery-and-charger-28.gif

SKU056497-5.jpg

hk-gt2-24ghz-3-channel-receiver-3ch-for-hobbyking-imax-reciever.jpg

Cesco

Many thanks for the reply and the info.

I was interested in these but trying to find one is proving difficult as most places are out of stock.

I can get one from asiatees but by the time I add post and packing it comes to more than

I can get a radio for in the UK and if it goes wrong it goes in the bin.

I will keep looking.

@guitarman try looking on ebay. There are some on there shipping from the UK.

I went and had a look after reading @Cesco recommendation - I'm after a couple of small, simple radios to put in cars for my lads.

To be honest I am at a crossroad.

I don't want to buy an expensive wheel in case I can't get used to it........but.

If I did take to it I would be sorry I didn't buy the more expensive one I like.

I suppose the question is what would the advantages be of using the wheel Tx

against the stick version.

I've a flysky one you can get a lend of to try? 

I've got the Absima CR3P... Really cannot fault it, I don't have any other radio experience other than my original 90's stick ACOM, however it is faultless for my bashing.

Multi vehicles, digital adjustments for end point, trim, curve etc.. range is further than I dare test it to, light in weight, but feels strong enough to comfortably give the wheel firm instructions... 

Yeah I'd recommend it and the CR4T surely can only be better..

IMG_20170606_213944267-585x1040.thumb.jpg.d238fd08f0639632e9990d4e6c4af1f3.jpg

9 hours ago, guitarman said:

Cesco

Many thanks for the reply and the info.

I was interested in these but trying to find one is proving difficult as most places are out of stock.

I can get one from asiatees but by the time I add post and packing it comes to more than

I can get a radio for in the UK and if it goes wrong it goes in the bin.

I will keep looking.

Guitarman, Banggood offers free shipping to every country in the world including the UK.

https://www.banggood.com/search/flysky-gt3c.html

Thanks Cesco

Still need to add import duty and VAT @ 20% which takes the price

to UK shop prices.

I have found a model shop not too far from me and they have wheel Tx radio so I will

make time to go and try some.

That will take away the uncertainty.

4 hours ago, lentner3 said:

I have this. Its a rebadged fly sky I believe. Lots of hacks etc. And cheap receivers. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-gtx3-afhds-2-4ghz-3-channel-radio-system.html

That's right, it is a rebadged Flysky GT3B. The GT3B and GT3C are almost identical in functionality, the GT3C is the newer model.

https://www.banggood.com/search/flysky-gt3b.html.

In the end what works for me might not work for you. Why I chose Flysky is because I needed to replace all the 27MHz TXen of my 3 sons and one for myself at the same time.
Also with around 10 RC cars it is kinda nice to give everyone their personal TX and bind every car with every TX. So choosing a TX that can bind several cars was one of my wishes.
Flysky offering the RX for so little money, made this possible.
I can buy several Flysky RX for the price of one of let's say Spektrum, Futaba or some other A brand. And even compared with a lot of B brands, the are cheaper and pretty much for bashing do the same.
Buying 4 TX and enough RX for all my cars kinda adds up and frankly, I rather spend the money on a new car. My kids love how lite these are (coming from 27MHz Traxxas TX with 8 AA batteris in them).

As said, look at what your wishes and your budget are and chose one of the given options.

For the left handed option I have a crazy suggestion / advise. Now I'm right handed myself, but looking for you at other possibilities as in left hand TX options, I came across the Traxxas forum. Someone there posted a very cheap mod/solution his daughter uses... Use the TX up side down and flip it over worked for her. It is such a simple sollution and even more, gives you a whole lot more TXs to chose from. Bit of a crazy suggestion, but who nows, It might be that simple.

Again, good luck with chosing one.

1 hour ago, Cesco said:

That's right, it is a rebadged Flysky GT3B. The GT3B and GT3C are almost identical in functionality, the GT3C is the newer model.

I have a Turnigy GTX3 from HK, and I did the firmware mod as available for the FS GT3B/C. If you have some soldering skills it is not that hard. You just need to get a programming device. (Info can be found on the internet) Even if you are not going to use the extra channels, it gives you lots of extra capabilities like proportional 3rd channel, sub-trims, more than 10 model memories, adjustable battery low alarm etc. Quality-wise it might be less than the A-brand suppliers, but hey: where else will you find a Tx with these capabilities for such a low price. And if it breaks, just get a new one as they are dead cheap.

Other mod I did was a change in the battery wiring and compartment to take a 3S lipo. But I kept the battery tray so I can also use AA batteries instead. Just need to remove the brace in the tray, so a 3S Tx lipo drops in.

And as said before: the Rx's are extremely cheap and range is beyond average. They even come with a programmable fail-safe mode! Just be sure to get the right type, as there are different protocols and Rx type names are quite similar.

I think the Absima CR3P is based on the same internal hardware too, it uses the AFHDS protocol and the symbols on the the screen are much alike. Just cannot confirm it, maybe someone else on the forum?

Mate, if your in or around Bolton any time soon, you can try my Flysky GT2, I've got a new one in box that I've not got round to using yet, so your more than welcome to give it a test run.

I have a Futaba 3prka and a cheap goolrc radio for my 2 cars. The Futaba is a really nice feeling controller and has great response. I like it a lot more than the goolrc which broke after a couple weeks and required some modification to get it running reliably again.

I've tried the flysky gt2b and a couple of Spektrum radios. The Spektrum are top notch but I seem to recall they lacked a couple of features (throttle limiter comes to mind). I really like the flysky as well. Packed with features, cheap and performs well. If my next car isn't a rtr I'll probably go flysky.

On 6/7/2017 at 7:42 AM, guitarman said:

To be honest I am at a crossroad.

I don't want to buy an expensive wheel in case I can't get used to it........but.

If I did take to it I would be sorry I didn't buy the more expensive one I like.

It's smart to think like this because once you are into a radio system it can get spendy to switch out to another brand.  FlySky is great for the price but they aren't as nice as my Futaba or my kids Spektrum.  If you're concerned about getting into the wheel style controller (and I think you will) then maybe consider getting something like the Spektrum DX2e ( https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM2330 )  It's a bit more than the cheapest FlySky but about the same price as the i3.  The upside is that if you find you do like the wheel controller you have lots of ways to "move up".  To be honest, I think my favorite controller out of all the ones I own or seen at the track is the Spektrum DX4C.  It just feels really good in the hand, has a 10 model memory, is 1/4 the price of the top-of-the-line models, and the interface is by far the easiest to use.  I always have to fiddle about with my Futaba 3PL to get to the setting I want.

On 7 June 2017 at 5:38 PM, Cesco said:

SKU056497-5.jpg

On 7 June 2017 at 9:17 PM, guitarman said:

Absima CR2S is great, feels solid & less tacky than any Fkysky.

Mine will sync to GR3E so extra RXes are easily available.