Jason1145

Tamiya Formula 1 cars... what cars are available/best choice now?

For the F103RS, is the rear pod exchangeable with the later ones?  The ones with offset insert for ride height.

- Found answer, there appears to be a Hop up available.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:36 PM, Jason1145 said:

Can anyone in the lovely Umerica possibly quote me a shipping price to the UK (London - please message me for postcode if you can look into it)... it's free shipping within the USA but I would then seek someone to post it on to me... this is my only option for this gorgeous F104W Black Wolf model.

57 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

would it be possible to fit the taller F103 tyres on to an F104 to gain the ride height?

I'm hoping so!! 

1 hour ago, Jason1145 said:

OK I'm leaning towards either an F104W or a F103GT, I've almost ruled out the F103 due to the lower ground clearance, although would it be possible to fit the taller F103 tyres on to an F104 to gain the ride height?

Standard F104 tyres are taller than standard  F103 tyres, so fitting F103 tyres to a F104 would make it lower, not higher.

And since the F104W achieves it's low, wide stance by using F103 wheels, it ends up with the same ground clearance options as the F103.

I say "options" as the ground clearance on the F104 is adjustable, as is the ground clearance on the F103 if using the later motor pod plastics or their alloy hop-up equivalents.

Like most RC F1s, the F103 and F104 use a 14mm hex fitting at the rear and bearing-in-wheel fitment at the front, unlike the F103GT which uses 12mm hex all round. Of course you could use F103GT parts to allow 12mm hex touring wheels to be fitted to a normal F103 or F104 should you wish.

• Like 1

Looks like F104 are about 65mm tall, and F103 are 55mm tall.

Thanks Turnip

Oh boys...I understand you

This is one of my latest purchases

IMG_20170423_115301.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mastino said:

Oh boys...I understand you

This is one of my latest purchases

IMG_20170423_115301.jpg

Well that's just rude posting that here!

Is it an empty box per chance?!

Please please measure the width and diameter of the front and rear tyres buddy.. happy for you yes, jealous only a little :)

technically we can't speak about an empty box...

F104Pro_002.jpg

F104Pro_003.jpg

and a first hopup supplying

F104Pro_004.jpg

I learned that this is a special version. The chassis is supplied with sponge tyres but the measures ( of the tyres) doesn't respect the "sponge standard" and match the slick rubber type.

If you are interested about tyres dimension I can do measure in the afternoon. Actually the box is stored on the highest shelf. :)

• Like 1

not so easy take a diameter on single sponge tyre, but more or less F & R are 60 mm. Width 28.5 F and 35.5 R. 

• Like 1

Very helpful Mastino thank you, that is the F104 Pro Chassis so I'd assume it is special in some way over a normal F104.

Did that come with a Bodyshell?

• Like 1

yes in the left upper side of the picture. All the parts included to match as in picture below.

top.jpg

I was not aware that foam-clad 190mm wide F1 cars was a thing. I know of 200mm (wide) F1s running foam, and 190mm (narrow) F1s running rubber. Funky!

So my scanning on the internet has revealed a second type of F1 car that's caught my eye, not so dissimilar from my original hankering of the (84124) F104W Wolf WR1 - I have now found the...

(84122) Lotus 79 - F104W

https://www.rcjaz.co.uk/tamiya-84122-110-rc-lotus-type-79-f104w-chassis-p-90019905.html

This RCJaz purchase looks tempting at £105 but add on their cheapest shipping of £44 makes it £149... I just don't like paying excessive shipping like that :( 

Within the UK the cheapest I can find is £151 (This price doesn't include VAT!)

http://shop.classicteamlotus.co.uk/tamiya-84122-lotus-type-79-radio-controlled-kit-110-scale-207-p.asp

@Jason1145 Its £144 from the lotus shop inc VAT + shipping so £151 all in. 

They show 6 in stock and I was looking at one of these yesterday.

3 hours ago, Prescient said:

@Jason1145 Its £144 from the lotus shop inc VAT + shipping so £151 all in. 

They show 6 in stock and I was looking at one of these yesterday.

Get one too Prescient! 

58 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

This is what turned up for me today.

WP_20170612_16_53_28_Pro.jpg

When I get my F1 car I will definitely want this type of shell for it, are they called LeMan type? Where to buy such shells?

The body is a Toyota GT-1 TS020.  Bodyset:  84233 (Good Luck) or 58229 (Pictured)

The original ones are getting rare and expensive.  I have found about 4 sites that show it in stock.

There are options available from Protoform and other manufacturers, if the original is too expensive.

Consider the aftermarket bodies, as these cars are going to be thrown down the road.

24 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Get one too Prescient! 

I have my eye on a couple at the mo. 

I had a Williams F201 back 12 or so years ago. Once built I found the lack of ground clearance wholly disappointing so sold it.

Road and carpark conditions aren't great here. 60% is taken up by sea and sand.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, M 800STD said:

The body is a Toyota GT-1 TS020.  Bodyset:  84233 (Good Luck) or 58229 (Pictured)

The original ones are getting rare and expensive.  I have found about 4 sites that show it in stock.

There are options available from Protoform and other manufacturers, if the original is too expensive.

Consider the aftermarket bodies, as these cars are going to be thrown down the road.

What's the keywords to use in searchs to get these type of shells?

They are usually listed under the F1, Formula cars, Pan cars.

The Tamiya items are listed for about 45 euro, without shipping, and in Europe.

http://www.rcmart.com/body-light-c-438_883.html

http://www.rcmart.com/body-light-200mm-c-438_1319.html

http://jethobby.com/_shop/product/product.php?path=67

The above links are for inspiration, not prices.

• Like 1

Awesome M 800STD, thanks for the inspiration, I'll be sure to hit you up for more help once I get one in hand, some gorgeous shells there.

Dammit, just won a F104W Pro Chassis on Ebay with 2 bodies and spare wheels all boxed nearly new and the seller then cancelled it whilst I was making Paypal payment so the next screen I saw after payment was sale cancelled! So he got payment too which I'm now trying to get back -

He had the cheek to say :

"sorry price is small ..not enough for sale..no pay...

New message from: ivamajst (106)

sorry price is small ..not enough for sale..no payment

Rc 1:10 Rtr Tamiya Formula 1 (Formel 1) F1 F104 Pro full carbon complet tuning

What a treat he is! Beware this seller .. he then said:

"ok no problem send me your mail ..paypal refund i will get ,i send you mail before you pay this is not ok ,130dolars is not enough END NEXT TIME READ TEXT (SHIPP TO EUROPE ) UK IS NOT ANYMORE EUROP"

Total idiot! She said in advert he would post to U.K. Specifically mentioned! Now he saying he wouldn't!

24 minutes ago, mastino said:

BREXIT excuse... a genius! :)

A European genius yep