hedge

Vintage racing SRB/Superchamp aka Taipan

Does anyone know if the rear Monoshock for the Taipan was ever re-produced? I want to complete an old Taipan style model not the full kit, with parts Ive accumulated over the years and would really like to set it off with the rear mono set up. Don't see much chat about these anymore wonder if they have just fallen out of fashion or interest.

rear_mono.jpg

• Like 2

Awsome,the wonders of 3D printing :)

Ordered the white set

Be interesting to to see.

What shock will you be using with it?

44 minutes ago, Finman said:

Be interesting to to see.

What shock will you be using with it?

Ive a set of original used 1/8th Kyosho Landjump shocks - these are what most people used back in the day. I own the Landjump and recently managed to get the second set of new Shocks for it off the bay. So the ones currently on the Landjump - shelf queen -  will be replaced with these new ones. The only issue with the older set is all the red anodising has come off. That's said the "Taipan" will be a runner so I am not too bothered.

The donor vehicle looking good with new shocks

IMG_4310.JPG

• Like 3

Just took delivery of this (ugh can't upload, it's the mono shock mounts), super happy. Won't get time to work on it today but assuming the steering parts arrive it should be running by the weekend.

IMG_4316.JPG

• Like 2

Wow that Land Jump looks great - always wanted one of those when they first came out.

Is this a new SRB or an 'evolution' of your yellow bodied one?

That gearbox has had a light trim!!

20 minutes ago, Finman said:

Wow that Land Jump looks great - always wanted one of those when they first came out.

Is this a new SRB or an 'evolution' of your yellow bodied one?

That gearbox has had a light trim!!

This is a new one, or at least another one, it will use that yellow body though. The yellow lexan was for running the Rough Rider which now sits on a shelf with a period body on it - waiting to get painted :)

I was never sure I wanted to build this (from parts) Taipan when I was collecting all the bits because this was some few years back and believe me when I say it cost a fair amount of beer tokens to put these items together - seems the market has become a little more sensible than it was back then :). Fast forward a few years and I was thinking I fancy a running car again (mostly fly helis now) so I was nearly on the BIN button for a Wildone when I remembered this old set of parts. Add to the fact that a few months back I got the second set of new old stock shocks for the Landjump so thought why not stick the Taipan together- and fit those shocks on the Landjump!

Really looking forward to running it. however as with all these things its the little things - screws, bearings and bits that catch you out, hope Ive got it covered but we will see at the weekend.

This build is shaping up really nicely.

I see the shapeways seller has the front trailing arms. What ball cups are required to make these fit?

52 minutes ago, Static Age said:

This build is shaping up really nicely.

I see the shapeways seller has the front trailing arms. What ball cups are required to make these fit?

Not sure, I am using the RCH originals and they came with the ball cups fitted

• Like 1

Ok so I found a couple of hours today and put a few bits on. I realise a couple of points, first I need softer front springs and second I need to think about the rear mono shock mounts and how i fasten it together. I had to make 4 bushes, these where made from 4mm OD tube inside 5mm OD tube to fit the lower shock arms. This seems ok but the middle fixing is sloppy - it's just an m3 with a couple of washers, however I will think on it over night. Tomorrow I will collect (from the post office) what I hope is the super champ servo saver I bought and then I can finish the steering. Then add the esc, rx and we are ready to run :-)

IMG_4319.JPG

• Like 2

So its all together and running now. for those that are interested this is a highly modified SRB, so modified infact that the only unmodified part left are the steering knuckles, servo saver and front suspension tubes.

The cars raced like this from around 1983 - 1985 so only a short run, once the Associated RC10 was on the track it was blown away.

CRP extra long and extra wide butterfly chassis
RCH front upper and lower nylon arms
Hardenend front suspension axels
RCH front suspension uprights (note the suspension strengthening truss is a piece of pipe home made)
2.5m extra strong front steering rods (home made)
Superchamp front steering set up - servo saver
CRP SRB Kyosho front shock tower extenders
Kyosho Landjump 1/8th series shock absorbers and springs (front and rear)
JG Nerf bars
CRP rear gearbox cage
RCH rear suspension arms
CRP Anti rollbar
Replica RCH rear monoshock mount from shapeways
CRP extra wide rear axles with option for mounting Hex adaptor rear wheels
Rear Steel UJs
Differential Gear (made by a chap on this site a few years ago)
Cut down original rear gearbox
540 motor
TEU 101bk esc
Fast and heavy duty front steering servo (Align DS610 aka Savox 1258TG)

To build the front shock towers I had to modify the RCH front shock towers as per the instructions, this was a - no going back - step. The RCH rear arms have the socket for the rear anti rollbar all setup from the get go. Also, its interesting to note that the CRP rear cage has all the mounting locations pre-drilled and tapped for the JG Nerf bars. I know CRP did nerfs as well, but its clear that there was a standard followed by at least two companies.

Going to get better tyres front and rear, these where just a set I had handy.

Cheers

H

IMG_4320.JPG

• Like 1

I never raced or even owned an SRB when I was a kid, I did know people who had them and saw them at clubs I joined but none as modded as this.

It was this site that I first saw the Taipan and then started researching and finding parts, however of all the documents this one inspired me the most

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/article.asp?id=82

Small update on the build I managed to stretch my holiday buggy rears over the srb rims, the grip on grass is 10x better than with the old ranger tyres. I also removed the diff - for now. I have trimmed and mounted the body, added a couple of lexan dirt panels and made a couple of rear wing mounts for an old wing I bought. The buggy is running really well, next up is to tune the shocks correct oil and settting the piston holes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yellowcat said:

Yes, I do like the Rough Rider, there you have/had the CRP nerf bars, I like the way the aftermarket components all worked together. Also and this is something I am trying really hard to find, but you see the letters TC on the back plate with the switch mounted on it. These letters are printed on my butterfly chassis. I am sure I read somewhere that they mean or relate to the aftermarket manufacturer but I an struggling to find it again. Do you happen to know who it is?

BTW when I first saw it your RR pics where the inspiration for me to mount a wing :) Did you ever run them?

14 hours ago, hedge said:

Yes, I do like the Rough Rider, there you have/had the CRP nerf bars, I like the way the aftermarket components all worked together. Also and this is something I am trying really hard to find, but you see the letters TC on the back plate with the switch mounted on it. These letters are printed on my butterfly chassis. I am sure I read somewhere that they mean or relate to the aftermarket manufacturer but I an struggling to find it again. Do you happen to know who it is?

BTW when I first saw it your RR pics where the inspiration for me to mount a wing :) Did you ever run them?

You are right about the TC. That was a separate piece of fiberglass that I bought for my project. Yes, I ran the RR. It was fast but only last about 6 to 8 minutes for each run on the Team Checkpoint motor in the RR.

IMG_0016_zpskdlngrnx.jpg

Please check out my Ford F150 Ranger and my Kyosho Circuit 20 EXtra Racing Baja

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/74924-my-custom-ford-f150-ranger/#comment-565096

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/73612-kyosho-circuit-20-extra-racing-baja/#comment-546880

14 minutes ago, yellowcat said:

You are right about the TC. That was a separate piece of fiberglass that I bought for my project. Yes, I ran the RR. It was fast but only last about 6 to 8 minutes for each run on the Team Checkpoint motor in the RR.

IMG_0016_zpskdlngrnx.jpg

Please check out my Ford F150 Ranger and my Kyosho Circuit 20 EXtra Racing Baja

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/74924-my-custom-ford-f150-ranger/#comment-565096

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/73612-kyosho-circuit-20-extra-racing-baja/#comment-546880

Hi,

i got all excited by a google search only to find it was me 6 years ago  LOL...

It's a reference from an eBay auction about the letters tc - collectors would know???? 

Did you  buy that FRP as a sheet or as a part specifically made to fit where it is?

Do you still have the Landjump?

I bought the FRP as a sheet to cut out for the switch plate. I still have the Landjump. It  is still in the box with all the extra aftermarket parts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yellowcat said:

I bought the FRP as a sheet to cut out for the switch plate. I still have the Landjump. It  is still in the box with all the extra aftermarket parts.

Ok so definitely the FRP manufacturers mark and not an aftermarket company. Thanks for getting back. I need to do more digging but think based on the position and number of pre-drilled holesmy chassis is CRP not RCH.

5 hours ago, hedge said:

Ok so definitely the FRP manufacturers mark and not an aftermarket company. Thanks for getting back. I need to do more digging but think based on the position and number of pre-drilled holesmy chassis is CRP not RCH.

The one on my RR is a CRP.

Here is a picture of the original instruction sheet (31/2 X 3 inches) that comes with the chassis that compare to the one in the CRP packaging. The word SUGGESTED is the same and can be seen in the CRP packaging.

crp2_zpsm61ghu8g.jpg

chassis2_zpsyirtqmh5.jpg

You can also print out from the direct chassis scan of mine to compare yours. Just print it out and drop yours onto the print out to compare the predrilled holes.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/74484-srbs-butterfly-chassis-anyone/#comment-559582

That's the same as mine. The 4 smalllmscrew holes are in the same place. Can I ask... Does it have tc stamped underneath in multiple places like your back plate?

5 minutes ago, hedge said:

That's the same as mine. The 4 smalllmscrew holes are in the same place. Can I ask... Does it have tc stamped underneath in multiple places like your back plate?

NO tc stamped on my chassis.