hedge

Vintage racing SRB/Superchamp aka Taipan

The finished product showning the wheels and tyres, stretched holiday buggy rears and normal scorcher fronts. Just tweaks and tunning of the shocks now, then think about upgrading the motor. Due to the heatwave conditions I added a heat sink and fan to the teu-01, works a treat . Oh and it pops wheelies :-)

I think those stretched holiday buggy rears look just like the old RC10 rears... wonder if they got inspiration from them?

Oh yeah and needs a driver and some window mods...

IMG_4327.JPG

• Like 5

Yesterday I had the joy of running this at a 1/8th track. I had planned on running my 1/8th Losi 2.0 but fatefully it lost power after a couple of laps so out came the Tamiya. Of course on such a big track the little 540 was underpowered but equally given the handling of the car this was a good thing. Not to say the car handled badly - not at all - but it was at its limit. For those that track race you appreciate the need to set a car up, and fine tune it, where as I just turned up with this 1983 throw back and start doing lap after lap. As you can see from the picture the track is a monster! Jumps, drop off and whoops, non of which are an issue for a modern day 1/8th scale but this little thing needed caution - most of the parts are no longer available. The triangle jump on the right just before the right hander into the banked turn must have been 3-4ft high! The car was a delight to drive, no hairy over steer, no bad rolling tendencies, tracked straight, jumped clean and the damper systems just soaked up the lumps. Must have had a good 40 mins of run time and the only thing that stopped me was the plastic idler gear in the gear box chipped a few teeth, an issue I believe is down to not having a slipper clutch and not controlling my throttle when jumping. Anyway I will be back again and have ordered a set of metal gears from HK so hope they are well made and manage to stand up to the abuse. Along with these and a few tweaks to the suspension I will also be adding the diff back in as the track is quite high grip. Not racing just running :)

track.png

• Like 4