Granddad Stinky

Granddad Stinky's Monster Truggy.

3 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Grandad, what equipment do you have in your workshop that allows you to weave such sorcery? You seem to magic components out of thin air at will...! :D

I have a small lathe and a couple of bit i’ve made but my friend has a milling machine and bandsaw. I was a toolmaker/machinist.

The new shocks arrived today. They’re the correct length and much stronger springs. Surprisingly, for a Chinese set, the damping seems a bit hard, it must be set for jumping. I’ll test it out on the road before I make any changes.

Just one gripe, the top mounts are solid, parallel ones, so I’ll have to make some nylon ball sleeves. I need to make some 5mm longer spacers anyway, so the springs don’t rub on the shock towers.

p0kyBSf.jpg

DKk1EWa.jpg

EfgS5ib.jpg

I’ve done a quick comparison.

This is holding them just off the end of travel, a healthy increase.  😁VRxSx89.jpg

oumczqE.jpg

• Like 1

Here they are. I’m keeping the bottom mounts to the outside for maximum available shock movement and adjusting by way of shock tower holes.

These shock towers are a bit shabby now, through the development phase, i’m still waiting for the aluminium plate to make replacements. The new ones will have the line of mounting holes 10mm outside of the body pins, that will give a much better 25-30 degree angle from vertical.

However! Let me put this how my 15yo granddaughter would say it.

”Oh my god, I just can’t believe how much difference it’s made already, right? and I haven’t even like adjusted the dampening or anyfing yet, already, yeah?”

This will definitely stand up to lumps and bumps. Using an array of top holes, it will go lower than this for the flat stuff and another 15mm higher for off road.

kquOUZm.jpg

• Like 1

I’m on a lathe session now, catching up on my list of parts to make.

These are the bolt sleeves that came with my new shocks. They’re parallel and don’t allow for any angled movement.

MmaX2p6.jpg

I made some split bushes, they form a pillow sleeve, you can just make out the relief angle. The aluminium parts are new stand-offs, so the springs don’t foul the shock tower.

ZO4PlPi.jpg

Ready to be fitted.

7fwLfTq.jpg

• Like 2

Nice seeing the parts you are making.  As I do my build I will be paying attention to those areas you have addressed.  I may follow suit on some things.  I too am a toolmaker/machine builder, so the fabrication and machining parts are fun for me.

• Like 1

The material for the new shock towers has arrived. 2mm 6061 aluminium. Now the shocks won’t be at such an angle.

QPBU1FI.jpg