Granddad Stinky

Stinky Goes OCD Over New Optima.

Just arrived, a set of replacement stainless fittings. Of course, I'll keep all of the original parts.

IMG_1876_zpskugr4hsc.jpg    IMG_1877_zpsg5n5bhqc.jpg

They are tempting.

Really really hoping for a re re ultima....🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Why re-re? Re-released?

The guy that sold mine said they only made 500. He was limited to 15 and I had the 2nd to last one. He kept the last one for himself. He had 20 Turbo Scorpions and 20 of the Buggy. The all sold out in a day or so of listing. 

There were another couple of guys after my one, this is 1530 on the day, I said can you hold it for 65 minutes. Of course, he wanted to know why, I told him that's how long it would take me to go to the cash point and drive to his place.  At around 1700 i walked out with it. I had a bonus as well, mine is one off the 200 that were made in Japan, the others were made in Malaysia.

It'll come out on sunny days and have a run but not on the OE wheels, I'll buy something cheap for that. This is my jewel in the crown. I doubt whether I'll ever be able to afford that kind of money again.

I don't think I've mentioned it, but I'm disabled, on crutches, with degenerative disc disease. My income is ESA, PIP and my wife gets carers allowance.

The Ultima was a joint anniversary and birthday present, so it's very very special.

• Like 2

I don't have a motor or ESC for this yet. It'll never be bashed or thrashed, so I'm quite happy to buy a really good quality, matching, brushed motor and ESC rather than a lower grade brushless. I'd prefer the drivability of a brushed motor as well.

I've had a few original Ultima's over the years, but just down to one now, and a load of spares, (still trying to track down my original!! ), I would love kyosho to re release the Ultima, but without 2.2" wheels though! 🙄

Never owned an original optima, although I've had a few optima mids, I just didn't like the chain drive optima setup . The belt drive option on the re re optima does make it more appealing though!! 🤔 

• Like 1

With my newbie hat on....

Why not the 2.2 wheels? A looks thing? A larger diameter means a bigger contact patch. 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

With my newbie hat on....

Why not the 2.2 wheels? A looks thing? 

Yeah, they just look plain wrong! I'm just not a fan of the 'donk' look.

5 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

A larger diameter means a bigger contact patch. 🤷‍♂️

I didn't think the contact patch altered, that much,that was more to do with the width?

What it does alter is the smoothness of the ride, larger wheels smooth out smaller stones etc giving the suspension less work, one of the reasons car manufactures are increasing 1:1 size wheels (fitting bigger brakes another) as the bigger the rolling radius, the worse the road surface can be.

I've seen 19 turn brushed Kyosho motor I like for the Optima. I'm still adjusting to this turns thing, how will that run?

BOO!  Photobucket you stink!  -lol   :)

I just got a Kyosho Optima at a garage sale. Or at least I think its an Optima as it has chain drive 4WD. I'll get a picture to post when I get a chance. But its missing everything. So I put a new old stock motor on it, and a set of Tamiya rally wheels and rally block tires since they fit the wheels hexes. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet, as I was not looking for one when I found it.

• Like 1

So I added a motor, pinion, sledge hammer shocks, and Tamiya rally wheels/tires. But today I'm thinking I might just pull all that back off and go a different direction. I don't know.... Here's 2 pictures one with no flash. As you can see its REAL DUSTY!  -lol  God only knows how long its been in storage.

IMG_20170719_192453.jpg

IMG_20170719_192433.jpg

6 minutes ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

So I added a motor, pinion, sledge hammer shocks, and Tamiya rally wheels/tires. But today I'm thinking I might just pull all that back off and go a different direction. I don't know.... Here's 2 pictures one with no flash. As you can see its REAL DUSTY!  -lol  God only knows how long its been in storage.

IMG_20170719_192453.jpg

IMG_20170719_192433.jpg

NOOOO!!!

Don't spoil an icon. 😭 Sell it to me instead of chopping it! 😁

7 minutes ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

No I won't chop it up. I might strip off the parts I put on it and sell it. But no I would never destroy it. I value RC's more than destroying them.

I think it needs a new home in UK. 😉😉

Here's the rescue job on the Optima body. The inside is all white but the stickers were a nightmare.

I'm quite pleased with it so far.

QA7YxDi.jpg

Dsdeups.jpg

5qPbzKx.jpgDE2XCOH.jpg

kwSQbT9.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TeaMonster said:

Looking very good, really like the colour scheme

Thanks, I'm sticking to one livery now, it's a hero worship thing and you don't end up with half tins of paint.

OlVe9TF.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Thanks, I'm sticking to one livery now, it's a hero worship thing and you don't end up with half tins of paint.

OlVe9TF.jpg

Gorgeous bikes and a legendary rider

Some more detailing.

Aluminium roll cage instead of black and rear vents.

And yes, they are all individually cut pieces of vinyl. 😖

z4IwQD8.jpg

xmPwh6a.jpg

1UfSk2s.jpg

• Like 2