Quailane

TT02 Type-S

This is my TT-02 Type-S build. I bought the kit in early January and I've slowly put it together using upgraded parts. It took so long due to so much experimentation going on. In the end, the only parts from the kit that I ended up using were some of the bearings, the differentials, and two bumper support brackets. I guess you live and learn.

Some interesting things about this build:

1. It uses the same 0 degree toe hardware front and rear. I got rear toe by using 3racing 2 degree rear uprights. Their shaft hole is 3mm vs Tamiya's 2.7mm, but with the grub screw tightened it doesn't matter. I plan on running this chassis in VTA and I thought 2 degrees of rear toe would work better than 3.

2. It has a 64p 70T spur gear and 52T pinion. The motor fits as closely to the center of the chassis as possible.

3. I kept the same style suspension arms but in CF. These were expensive and hard to find! The short reversible arms are much more common, but I wanted to keep everything as close to stock as possible. One thing I don't like is that the long reversible suspension arms in both fiberglass and carbon fiber are a lot more loose on the suspension shafts and have slop that is impossible to shim away. The short reversible arms fit tightly on the suspension shafts, so force the motion to the shaft mount points but can be shimmed to have almost no slop.

4. C hubs are 2 degrees instead of the stock 4 degrees.

5. I first installed a front spool, but then changed it to a gear diff because I wanted to run front aluminum CVD's.

There is a lot more I am not remembering off the top of my head. I've been tinkering with everything so long to get it as close to perfect as possible. I want to build this car again in the near future, but already know what parts to use and how before I build it. One thing I have grown to love is 3racing's 3mm and 5mm shim sets that offer .05mm adjustments.

20170613_200859_zpsobgwql9p.jpg

20170613_200836_zpsctroukyv.jpg

20170613_201101_zpshruego29.jpg

20170613_201403_zpszsejgx7e.jpg

20170613_201008_zps5gtxfhll.jpg

20170613_201030_zpszlur9jny.jpg

20170613_200924_zpsdldznmna.jpg

20170616_002454_zpsfe4jfwgg.jpg

20170616_002437_zpscqvxounj.jpg

20170615_221923_zpsrt8zq69d.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice! I didn't understand most of what you said though. (I used to just do boats) You've obviously put a lot of effort into it. What's a spool?

I was very tempted by all the white bits for my build, as the bottom half of my truck body is white. But then I'd nearly have enough bits to build another.

Hmmm.........?

Thanks! A spool is something that locks both shafts of the axle together as opposed to a differential which allows them to turn at different speeds.

There are a lot of things I don't know either and this build has been a learning experience for me. It would have been easier and cheaper to buy a TRF419X, but that isn't the objective here. Due to experimentation and not knowing what I was doing before hand, I am left with a lot of spare parts I don't have a use for.

This is my first racing build. I've never even owned a LiPo battery before, just NiCad, NiMH, and LiFe.

Oh yeah, I've seen them, never heard them called that before.

Totally agree with your attitude, I bought my Kyosho and it'll always be standard, but I'm starting to love the TT-02 and the versatility.

Where are you? I can negotiate for the bits you don't want, I'll be pleased with any TT-02 bits, for future projects.

14 hours ago, Quailane said:

Due to experimentation and not knowing what I was doing before hand, I am left with a lot of spare parts I don't have a use for.

That's how it is from building my Neo Scorcher. With so many hopups, I had so many left over stock Tamiya parts. I ended up finding another chassis tub, a parts tree, and some screw bags, then started building another TT02B, lol. Nice build, btw.

I'm sorry I never posted anything about this car afterwards. A couple of weeks later I took it to a local track. It was a new car set up for racing, the track is pretty high-speed, and I'm a novice driver. I'm also used to using LiFe batteries and not Lipo! I also forgot to glue the tires to the wheels. I wrecked the car pretty badly. The chassis was fine, nothing that I couldn't fix at the track with some time and some superglue, but the body was rashed up pretty badly. After draining the battery with tons of lap time, I really didn't like the feel of the car and I wasn't sure what to do to it to improve the setup. Too many options for someone like me. I boxed up the car and didn't touch it for two years. I pulled it out of storage and I'm thinking about what to do with it. I'm not sure if I should use it again, build something else using some of the parts, or just sell the chassis as-is. I'll post some pictures tonight.

Something you can always do if you head back to the track, is have a competent driver run a battery pack's worth of time with your car and provide you some feedback.  That can help point you in a good direction.

I found about 3 laps was enough to leave with a load of feedback.

I had to use a dremel to grind away the outside of the spur gear adapter in order for it to fit. I used the largest pinion and smallest spur I could get my hands on.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d83.jpg

I had to remove the motor and encountered stuck screws. I had to use a dremel to made slots in the heads in order to get them out.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d89.jpg

For the steering, I spent a lot of time getting rid of as much slop as possible.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d88.jpg

I mounted the front and rear shocks as closely as possible to the shock towers and lower arms. I made sure there was absolutely no contact between any of them at any point of travel. I'm not sure if it was a good thing or if I should have followed the directions.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d85.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6d87.jpg