Hi all,

I'm building a Bruiser for crawling and my  eldest daughter has caught the bug after cracking through her first Lunchbox build - now sporting a great Scooby Doo paint job ...

She's keen on a speedy LR Defender - Tomb Raider style - so I've ordered a quality 1/10 ABS shell with fittings etc from China. Decals, mud flaps and scale bits are coming from closer to home in the UK. 

My question is what chassis would best suit the build - likely housing a 10.5 or 13.5t brushless combo with ball race and steering hop ups. No need for crawling - I'll (maybe !) share my Bruiser when it's finished. 

That's clearly too much power for a CC01 gearbox and I wondered about heavily modified TT02B for 4WD ? 

Her sister already has a WT01 Blackfoot Extreme - in Fall Guy colours - and I think she'd prefer something different for the Defender !

Thanks in advance,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Hi all,

I'm building a Bruiser for crawling and my  eldest daughter has caught the bug after cracking through her first Lunchbox build - now sporting a great Scooby Doo paint job ...

She's keen on a speedy LR Defender - Tomb Raider style - so I've ordered a quality 1/10 ABS shell with fittings etc from China. Decals, mud flaps and scale bits are coming from closer to home in the UK. 

My question is what chassis would best suit the build - likely housing a 10.5 or 13.5t brushless combo with ball race and steering hop ups. No need for crawling - I'll (maybe !) share my Bruiser when it's finished. 

That's clearly too much power for a CC01 gearbox and I wondered about heavily modified TT02B for 4WD ? 

Her sister already has a WT01 Blackfoot Extreme - in Fall Guy colours - and I think she'd prefer something different for the Defender !

Thanks in advance,

I cannot answer the question but the WT01 in fall guy colours sounds interesting, any pics?

13.5T - that's close to a stock silvercan no?. I doubt that or a 10.5T would break the CC01 gearbox.

I would suggest an Axial SCX10. I had a brushless motor in one for a while and it was a blast. Very stable, actually turned pretty well, and that driveline will take just about anything. Plus, the size and proportions are already just about right for those Defender bodies. I think the wheelbase needs shortening a tiny bit, but that's all.

6 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I would suggest an Axial SCX10. I had a brushless motor in one for a while and it was a blast. Very stable, actually turned pretty well, and that driveline will take just about anything. Plus, the size and proportions are already just about right for those Defender bodies. I think the wheelbase needs shortening a tiny bit, but that's all.

ehhh. I have the SCX10 Wrangler Unlimited with a 55T - just upgraded to 3S and the Quicrun 1080 (can not recommend this enough btw.) (: That rig does not turn very well (Well, it does, to the point of tipping over like a drunk baby on stilts)

15 hours ago, TeaMonster said:

I cannot answer the question but the WT01 in fall guy colours sounds interesting, any pics?

This is my younger daughter's Fall Guy Blackfoot Xtreme. Its a weekend runner so carries a few knocks ...

The build was ball raced with HPI alloy shocks and Schumacher foam inserts but otherwise stock. 

Grunt comes from a Lost Xcerlorin ESC and Passion Ultra Sportsman censored 13.5t - which flies !

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

This is my younger daughter's Fall Guy Blackfoot Xtreme. Its a weekend runner so carries a few knocks ...

The build was ball raced with HPI alloy shocks and Schumacher foam inserts but otherwise stock. 

Grunt comes from a Lost Xcerlorin ESC and Passion Ultra Sportsman censored 13.5t - which flies !

FullSizeRender.jpg

That is very purdy! - but can you please switch the rear tires ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice guys.

The SCX10 would be a difficult build for my daughter - and I'm not sure its chassis was built for turns at speed.

Racing regs put a 21.5t brushless equivalent to 540 silver can stock - some cite 17.5t depending on gearing - but either way a 10.5t or 13.5t set up would put a lot more grunt through a CC01 box. 

I know they're pretty robust but that seems quite a step up for a rig thats (in part) designed to crawl ?

Thats why I wondered if I'm better cropping then raising a TT02B ?

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks for posting. That looks excellent perfect colours and the eagle on the bonnet finishes it off nicely.

Not sure if this helps but TL01s have been used as a basis for Bowlers using Kamtec shells. Don't know if they are right dimensions for what you are thinking of...

Mine is yet to have the body mounted but there is a finished example in this thread.

6 hours ago, Flerbizky said:

That is very purdy! - but can you please switch the rear tires ;)

Lol ! Quite right. Youngest is only 6 + can barely tighten the wheel nuts 😁 Duly swapped. 

1 hour ago, Badcrumble said:

Not sure if this helps but TL01s have been used as a basis for Bowlers using Kamtec shells. Don't know if they are right dimensions for what you are thinking of...

Mine is yet to have the body mounted but there is a finished example in this thread.

Totally agree. 

My go to Frankenstein chassis is a TL01B. Currently hosts either a Dukes of Hazard General Lee Charger or Smokey + The Bandit Trans Am body 😁

It's straight line, 4WD core - with multiple suspension / body mount points - makes it pretty much ideal for hacking.

I just wondered if the TT02B would be a step up and interesting (but not too challenging) build for my eldest daughter ?

Or CC01 if everyone agrees it could handle 10.5t brushless ? 

7 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Or CC01 if everyone agrees it could handle 10.5t brushless ? 

I do. Now I want a CC01 (:

2 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

My go to Frankenstein chassis is a TL01B. Currently hosts either a Dukes of Hazard General Lee Charger or Smokey + The Bandit Trans Am body 😁

Drool...Two great cars.

Can't comment on the TT02 I'm afraid.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Flerbizky's video won my daughter over and we've decided to test the CC01 to its limits !

Opted for alloy hop ups only in key areas, handling - hubs, knuckles, steering - and plastic or cheap transmission - shafts, dog bone, gears and diffs.

Also bagged the Junfac rear suspension upgrade, alloy tie rods / servo mount and a Savox high torque steering servo. 

Reason for dropping more than the kit on tweaks is we're going to really push it with power !

Currently considering our options and would appreciate views on suitable brushless / sensored set ups ?

Be gentle with the ambition but I'm thinking around 7.5T ...

Thanks in advance,

On 20/06/2017 at 10:52 PM, Badcrumble said:

Drool...Two great cars.

Can't comment on the TT02 I'm afraid.

Happy to share pics ?

The TV cars pulled serious air / drifting so the TL01 just wouldn't cut it !

43 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Happy to share pics ?

The TV cars pulled serious air / drifting so the TL01 just wouldn't cut it !

Would love to see some. Especially of the Trans Am!

Will this become a bike thread for the Land Rover? 

21 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Would love to see some. Especially of the Trans Am!

Will this become a bike thread for the Land Rover? 

Here you go !

Host for both is a heavily modified TT01B powered by a brushless Absima 3431KV motor combo. Fully ball raced with speed tuned racing gears and HPI alloy shocks. 

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you! They look great, sure they're lots of fun with that motor.

Love the Trans Am, my wife despairs -whenever one of the films comes on TV, I have to watch it! Unless it clashes with Convoy...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

Thank you! They look great, sure they're lots of fun with that motor.

Love the Trans Am, my wife despairs -whenever one of the films comes on TV, I have to watch it! Unless it clashes with Convoy...

Sorry man - but Smokey atB > Convoy ;)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Flerbizky said:

Sorry man - but Smokey atB > Convoy ;)

Convoy never really clashes with Smokey - they put it on late at night, Smokey on a Saturday afternoon!

• Like 1

Don't suppose you want to adopt an adorable son do you?

I'm fully house trained and can fix up RC cars already :)

13 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

Don't suppose you want to adopt an adorable son do you?

I'm fully house trained and can fix up RC cars already :)

Lol - it's taken 5 years to get my daughters hooked ! 

The youngest still puts tyres on backwards but she's keen + learning. 

Her big sister quickly overtook her Dad at quality paintwork  😁

Ok so the kit has landed and hop ups / body details arriving daily. All very exciting 😬

What does everyone think about a Castle Mamba MaxPro with NC5700Kv motor hooked up to 3S Lipos ?

The pinion is being upgraded to steel / 18t - ditto the rest of the drivetrain.

Ride height and camber are being lowered / tightened with similar alloy hop ups so the only real issue is the height of the ABS shell tipping over when pushing hard into corners. 

Adding low centre weight seems nuts after all the alloy and I'm not sure it's necessary given there's only a modest metal roll cage going on top of the lightweight ABS roof.

All thoughts and comments welcome  ?

Also considering adding assembly to the Build forum - if only because experts might pre-empt expensive mistakes !

Thanks in advance,

• Like 1