Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

Rising Fighter - Grasshopper 2 - Super Hornet DT03 4 bar front suspension mod 3D printed part

So I did a 4 bar front suspension mod on my Rising Fighter a few weeks ago because I had so much DT03 stuff lying around due to hopping up that buggy. Thread is here if you are interested

I needed to get something from Shapeways for work so knocked up a solid lower wishbone mount for the conversion. It arrived today. Needed a bit of fettling but is pretty much there. Pretty happy with how it turned out. Rising Fighter is so much fun to drive now!

20170619_20060120170619_200619

• Like 1

Why has no one replied to this? This is freaking awesome! Just another awesome way to take some existing parts and bolt them onto a car that needed this kind of love! Can we see some running videos? I mean I know the answer to this question as I also have a double wishbone Rising Fighter but how is the performance improvement? I know when I upgraded mine it was a new car. Well, plus lowering the CG helped too. Well done! 

• Like 2

Nice! Will this be available on Shapeways?

Thanks dude. It drives really nicely with much more planted front end. Also coincided with 3 hole damper pistons going in the rear too so whole thing is much better. I just really like the stance of the car now with the wide front end and negative camber.

I'll get some running video some time. 

To be honest adding up new parts cost for doing this conversion isn't far off the cost of your AMPRO one as the c hubs come on a big sprue which is a shape which is a shame. Just worked nice here because I had spares. 

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thanks dude. It drives really nicely with much more planted front end. Also coincided with 3 hole damper pistons going in the rear too so whole thing is much better. I just really like the stance of the car now with the wide front end and negative camber.

I'll get some running video some time. 

To be honest adding up new parts cost for doing this conversion isn't far off the cost of your AMPRO one as the c hubs come on a big sprue which is a shape which is a shame. Just worked nice here because I had spares. 

Yeah, I find cost and love do not coincide. If you love something, who cares what it costs. Once, someone on a Facebook group took a look at my Hornet and told me that his full race (insert disposable modern buggy name here) cost about the same as SuperFly to build and all I had after all that time, money and effort was still a hornet. My reply was "You and I cannot be friends". The way I see it, if you put more money into something that it is worth, then you have done it correctly. Looking forward to those videos!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pintopower said:

"You and I cannot be friends". 

HA! I hear you. I don't think I could be friends with them either. 

You're right though. This actually worked out pretty well first time, but I must have spent about 60 bucks just on different iterations of my Thunder Dragon front shock mount before I got it right. I just love that old bus though. Had to have the front end right AND run the Thunder Dragon body. 

Not for this, for my Thunder Dragon. My other 3D print project is the perfect twin shock front shock mount which clears the Thunder Dragon body properly. Terra Scorcher wide mount hits the shell and the stock narrow mount isn't great either. Must have done about 4 different versions so far. Think I am there now

On 19/6/2017 at 9:53 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

20170619_200601

This is a nice idea but I believe you will break your chassis quickly. Please, follow my thinking:

- One of the weak point of the Hornet chassis is the front bottom brace mount. Not the side with two screws but the other side. Keep in mind that in the original design the front arms are placed on the chassis. Every force that arrives from the arms is discharged on the chassis so no problems from the arms.
Infact it is the brace itself that strips the screw and part of the chassis where it is fixed. This happen when you hit something very solid, the front end of the chassis bends and the brace scratches away the screw. One single screw is not enough to be really solid and strong.

- With your design you have a similar configuration, if the model hits something solid it is the same situation, your brace scratches the screw and breaks the chassis. In addition your design have a little but important difference: the front arms are mounted on the brace itself. The brace and its location are not designed to survive to a relatively strong impact. On this weak design you added more other forces. Every impact you have on the arms will be discharged on the brace instead of the chassis, every hit is discharged on that single screw. I believe that your design will not endure long time.

I suggest you to make come modifications.
Why you didn't used the arms locations where to insert your brace?
You could use the servo screws to fix the brace and have a 5 mounting points brace.
Just some suggestions.

Max

• Like 1

Good points well made @kontemax. To be honest this is a light runner my kids use for bashing about so I doubt in my case there will be too much trouble. However, I like your idea of using the original wishbone holes as a stronger anchor. I might well have a look at this a bit more. Thanks.

• Like 1

That's pretty cool! A more modern take on it.

8 hours ago, Tamiya80sBuggyFan said:

This is awesome! Where can I buy it?

Thanks. I don't have a shapeways store but I could order one for you. I am on holiday for 2 weeks now but PM me and I'll sort a price when I get back.

No. Everything else in the installation is tamiya. The tutnbuckle kit is the DT02 one. Fits straight on. The plastic blocks I screwed to the side of the chassis to mount the ball screws for the upper arms are on the DT03 suspension arm sprue. The tamiya C hubs end up expensive if you are doing it from scratch because they come single on each DT03 chassis sprue. I did it from spare parts. Grandad Stinky did a 12mm front hex conversion to his DT03 (search on here for it) usjng Kyosho parts. I think this would be the cheapest option for parts.

13 hours ago, Tamiya80sBuggyFan said:

Sorry I ment in particular what part was used to connect the ball joint to the body. Buy plasic block do you mean the Servo mounts? 

If you click on the topic in the first post it goes to the build thread where it is all in detail including photos. They look like servo mounts but they aren't DT03 servo mounts. As it shares wishbone parts with the DT02 it might be the servo mount from that buggy. 

I'm ordering the revised version of this part for a GH2 project I have on. I'll be placing the order tomorrow night (Thursday) so if anyone would like one of these convertor parts then let me know on here or PM me and I'll add to my order. Will save on shipping. Cost is £10 plus shipping to you from me. 

Cheers

Cy