iluvmud

What would you guys give for this?

always heard how "awesome the Marui Ninjas were and just saw this thing pop up.... but wonder what it is really worth.... ideas?

ce97ecf33dd34650abb7c9dfe68facb9.jpg5d01da90558043c0adc693fd2842f4fc.jpg

Awesome compared to what ? I seem to remember them being advertised at the same time as the Optima and Hotshot, etc, I.e. back in the 80s. It doesn't look like anything too special to me from a technical point of view, about the same sort of level as a thundershot but without the advantage of being mid engine.  If it was me and I was looking for a car from that era that I'd be looking for a belt driven Optima or a nice Hotshot II instead.

Not that outstanding as an RC goes, it's more of a nostalgia thing coupled with fairly rare (you may see one for sale every couple of months compared to one a day for say a hornet).

I'd say, going off those pics, I'd expect to see a winning bid on eBay for around £100 (having given it a clean) 

My friends ninja from brand new kept breaking (like the dt-03 does now lol) in the 80's, plus it's white instead of black, id say nearer £50....

On 20/06/2017 at 9:14 AM, MadInventor said:

Awesome compared to what ? I seem to remember them being advertised at the same time as the Optima and Hotshot, etc, I.e. back in the 80s. It doesn't look like anything too special to me from a technical point of view, about the same sort of level as a thundershot but without the advantage of being mid engine.  If it was me and I was looking for a car from that era that I'd be looking for a belt driven Optima or a nice Hotshot II instead.

Funny you mention those three cars, my best friend back then had a Ninja, I had a Turbo Optima and another friend had a Hotshot II running a Technigold with 8.4v. After having an indestructible Hornet before, I broke the Optima almost everytime I took it out. The front upright would break in the same place where it attaches to the lower wishbone everytime, it seemed to be made from a more brittle plastic. Despite being the best looking, I ended up trading it for the Hotshot II which was stupidly quick and as robust as the Hornet which suited me far better. 

On 20/06/2017 at 11:39 AM, taffer said:

My friends ninja from brand new kept breaking (like the dt-03 does now lol) in the 80's, plus it's white instead of black, id say nearer £50....

My friend Ninja also kept breaking down, it broke on his bday the morning he finished building it! Some electrical issue. I also have a DT03T now, despite really liking the way it drives, I’m not sold on its reliability, once again the tub it is made from a brittle plastic!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nitomor said:

Funny you mention those three cars, my best friend back then had a Ninja, I had a Turbo Optima and another friend had a Hotshot II running a Technigold with 8.4v. After having an indestructible Hornet before, I broke the Optima almost everytime I took it out. The front upright would break in the same place where it attaches to the lower wishbone everytime, it seemed to be made from a more brittle plastic. Despite being the best looking, I ended up trading it for the Hotshot II which was stupidly quick and as robust as the Hornet which suited me far better. 

My friend Ninja also kept breaking down, it broke on his bday the morning he finished building it! Some electrical issue. I also have a DT03T now, despite really liking the way it drives, I’m not sold on its reliability, once again the tub it is made from a brittle plastic!

Sounds like your driving style would be better suited with something like this ;)

img33435_10042013205251_3.jpg

Lol, hence all the monsterised models! I was 11 at the time, Lol, it sealed my loyalty with Tamiya though, I loved the Optima but it was a dissapointment, the school ground had tiny little kerbs and things that the Tamiyas would take in their stride and ride straight over, the Optima, er, didn’t.

For my 11th birthday my old man did something really cool, he gave the shell to the person who made my birthday cake and they used it as a mould, so my birthday cake was in the form of a Turbo Optima. Wish I had a pic, it was awesome!!

The car was black with 2 red pinstripes close together going down the side, the shop built it but the guy that worked there nicked the motor and gave me a duff, the owner of the shop clocked it when it went back in and promptly sacked the guy!

If they re re it, I will of course have to get one, just for nostalgia’s sake and do it in the same colours!

• Like 1

Putting a price on these cars is always a balance between "how much do I want it" and "what is its true value".
During the past year, I bought three of these old Marui cars. Maybe that can help as a guideline for future reference?

Type, state, price I paid.
Big bear, in running state complete with transmitter/steering servo/esc but worn with dry tires gearbox about half-way worn, 50 euros. (My first real RC car).
Samurai, a roller with small bits missing and no tires but otherwise OK given its age and use, 50 euros. (Always wanted one of these back in the eighties, but was to expensive back then).
Golden Eagle, in running state complete with transmitter/2 servos hardly used as the shell is 99% intact and barely scrapes on the chassis and tires have almost all of the original profile, 25 euros (cheap I think!).