lee1980

Hot temps for NIB's

In Uk we are experiencing a heat wave hottest in a long time possibly since 1976 or something.  Around 28-30c and its hot in evening and early mornings to.  Some of my new in box and built kits and bits are in loft and i guess its even hotter there.

is this likely to do any damage to them? Will likely be a week or so this hot.  Main ones are NIB re-re egress and MB.

i have un-built lego to thinking might be better to keep them in loft.

I've been thinking the same thing but I just have new body sets not kits.

Not sure if the UK summer would get hotter enough to do any damage but saying that I've heard of vinyl records warping!

Hot hmmm, it hit 35 degrees on my way home in southern UK today.

The loft is an issue as is a conservatory in this temp. Direct sunlight a big no-no.

Biggest problem can be with sealed air tight shrink wrapped or cellphone/bubble wrapped kits though; where the air warms and expands inside with no escape deforming the box and worse case parts inside. 

My kits are in a temp controlled storage unit at the mo but I wouldn't like to have them at home. 

I asked my mate about this today. He spent some time in Africa, where temps such as the ones we are experiencing at the moment are considered quite ordinary. None of his cars suffered any ill effects from the heat, either as a result of running or being stored.

He said it is more likely that you'll suffer damage when building or running cars when it is too cold, as this makes the plastic brittle and more prone to cracking.

If anything, a good warming strengthens some plastics as it allows internal stresses from the moulding process to relax a bit. Apparently some people do this on purpose, boiling parts prior to fitment in order to strengthen them.

• Like 1

I would have thought you'd need some serious heat to start to cause damage, have people not boiled wheels in dye to change the colour without damage?

We managed to get some of your left over heat today, up in the 20's, almost 60 in the conservatory! Went in the loft to get some parts and it wasn't overly hot tbh.

Here in Australia it's  regularly near 40 degrees in summer in the shade so calm down guys! Your kits won't melt unless in direct sunlight or in a non ventilated box of a room, and even then i don't think 30 degrees ambient would worry them!

• Thanks 1

I had some vintage unused Tamiya pin spikes that cracked and split badly when they were left in the loft. They were mounted on vanquish wheels and huge splits appeared in the sidewalls on them, but this is the only problem I've had and they weren't in a kit, just some spares I bought from Ebay. If it's 35 outside it's going to be considerably hotter in the loft due to the insulation, especially if you have a dark coloured roof material such as slate.

• Like 1

I wouldn't anticipate any issues with plastic, rubber or other parts not being able to withstand our hot summers.

Might be a different matter in use tho - motors and speedos will need additional cooling.  Not been running my RCs recently due to lack of time, but yesterday my kitchen fridge decided 15 degrees C was as low as it could manage, and at the weekend my vibration sander overheated and seized while I was working with it in 30 degree heat.  Yesterday I had warm milk on my cereal.  Today I cut my losses and bought breakfast in a local shop.  Got a fridge repair company coming on Friday; we'll be living on cook-from-frozen foods until then, it's like being back in the dark ages ;) 

• Sad 1

Thanks, all will leave where is for now, as its likely by tomorrow it be back to around 20-25c.

Egress was from stella so most likely has extra polystyrene inside and don't remember seeing any bubble wrap.

Sure was warmer in loft imagine around 40c as our conservatory got up to 43c!!!

10 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

I wouldn't anticipate any issues with plastic, rubber or other parts not being able to withstand our hot summers.

Might be a different matter in use tho - motors and speedos will need additional cooling.  Not been running my RCs recently due to lack of time, but yesterday my kitchen fridge decided 15 degrees C was as low as it could manage, and at the weekend my vibration sander overheated and seized while I was working with it in 30 degree heat.  Yesterday I had warm milk on my cereal.  Today I cut my losses and bought breakfast in a local shop.  Got a fridge repair company coming on Friday; we'll be living on cook-from-frozen foods until then, it's like being back in the dark ages ;) 

Yeah my motorbike is like running super hot in this heat to!

Eeeek I was worried when our fridges got near 8-10c.

6 hours ago, lee1980 said:

Yeah my motorbike is like running super hot in this heat to!

Eeeek I was worried when our fridges got near 8-10c.

I had to ride into central Bath on my GSX-1400 on Monday.  Heading there in the morning wasn't too bad but getting back on to come home at 2pm was awful.  I abandoned my textile jacket to the back seat and rode home in a T-shirt, the air was still baking at 60mph.  The wife was furious that I would dare ride a bike without a jacket, but I figured I was safer riding while conscious than passing out in the town centre heat while trying to squeeze through tourist traffic.

I rode it through London a few weeks ago when it wasn't quite as hot as this, the heat coming up off the oil cooler when the fan kicks in is quite intense.  It blows right up over my thighs when I'm sitting in traffic.

Not best biking weather is it at all, i commute daily on a Ducati xdiavel awesome bike, not to bad on heat that comes off as so wide at front and is liquid and oil cooled does ok, though underslung exhaust means hot seat!

i ATGATT, all the gear all the time, if i dont guaranteed to come off lol.  

Since added a louder exhaust to, that actually runs cooler 

IMG_0437.JPG

• Like 1

Went in loft today its about 21c outside, but nearly 34c in loft with 44% humidity, put one of those remote weather temp things in loft.  I know at night it be opposite, badword we had snow only a couple of months ago.

I am thinking though maybe best to move out new in box kits egress, mb and numerous lego sets into the cool garage. Or am I overeacting lol!! 

Hits about 45-50degC Downunder under a hot tin roof for 2-3mths in summer... but what to do? Rest of house ain't much cooler :( kits just gotta bear it.

Snow & ice probably do more damage to your roof... ya really gotta watch out for water damage, from leaks or condensation/mildew. Worse damage than heat IMHO.

13 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

Hits about 45-50degC Downunder under a hot tin roof for 2-3mths in summer... but what to do? Rest of house ain't much cooler :( kits just gotta bear it.

Snow & ice probably do more damage to your roof... ya really gotta watch out for water damage, from leaks or condensation/mildew. Worse damage than heat IMHO.

True, yea this only be during the day noon, once it gets past 5pm temps drop. Now rising to 36c as just gone 2pm.

Roof is leak free so ok there! Think will see how hot it gets this weekend and maybe move down if can.

I think you might be over reacting. I’m sure the shipping containers moving tamiya kits around the world on ships get to pretty high temperatures. Much more than 50 deg C. 

Living in Australia I’ve never noticed anything untoward happening to my kits in hot weather. Either NIB’s or shelfers. Main thing is keep the sun off them. The uv is far worse than the heat! 

Juls

On 05/05/2018 at 1:57 PM, lee1980 said:

badword we had snow only a couple of months ago.

Crazy isn't it!?

Where I live in South Wales there was a night just 2 weeks ago where it got down to 3 degrees and I had the heating on all night. 2 weeks later and the fan is on instead!

Yea and now I have brought them down from loft temps dropped quite a bit lol! Just lego up there NIB now but sure that be ok more so.