ThunderDragonCy

Is is possible to fit geared diffs to a DF03?

Slightly odd one this I know, but looking at getting a modern 4WD kit to build. The on road thing didn't really stick so I'm selling the TA01 I fixed up. Been looking at TT02B or DF03. There's £50 price difference between the two but it looks like I'd need to spend at least that on the TT02B to get it how I'd like it (bearings, driveshafts, steering arms, metal diff set etc) and it has ****** all ground clearance which I don't like. DF03 looks ace but I'm not racing and I can't be bothered with slipper clutches and ball diffs. So, does anyone with a DF03 know if the fitment is similar to other buggies with geared diffs? Could you drop the DF02 metal diff set in there?

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't believe its possible to fit a DF03 with gear diffs. Its an entirely different platform than the DF02 or TT02B. If I recall correctly, one of the stock ball diffs is integrated into a crown wheel/bevel gear making the possibility of some kind of gear diff retro fit especially hard. I'd likely hunt down a used DF01 or grab the Top Force re-re. IMO, the DF01 was a superior buggy to the DF02 and TT02B. Metal dogbone/outdrives, tough gear diffs in the base models, no slipper clutches and good ground clearance are all part of the DF01 package. Parts are still readily available too.

• Like 1

I swapped my TA02 rear ball diff out for these:

• SP-602 Diff Bevel Set
  • SP-529 Touring & Rally Gear Set

The cost was nothing noteworthy and it gave me better performance from the gear diff. I bet its possible for your car as well. You just have to figure out which gear set has the correct diff gear to put the bevel gears in. Worst case you buy a couple from different models until you find the right one. Then share your results with the group. I'd also do some searching both on this site, and online. I'm sure someone somewhere has done that swap. Because Tamiya reuses a lot of parts between their RC's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

I swapped my TA02 rear ball diff out for these:

• SP-602 Diff Bevel Set
  • SP-529 Touring & Rally Gear Set

The cost was nothing noteworthy and it gave me better performance from the gear diff. I bet its possible for your car as well. You just have to figure out which gear set has the correct diff gear to put the bevel gears in. Worst case you buy a couple from different models until you find the right one. Then share your results with the group. I'd also do some searching both on this site, and online. I'm sure someone somewhere has done that swap. Because Tamiya reuses a lot of parts between their RC's.

I have done a lot of searching and came up with nothing hence asking here. It is a 55t diff so if anyone knows of any other tamiya 55t diffs that would be a start. DT03 is 45t as I have already checked.

5 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Unfortunately I don't believe its possible to fit a DF03 with gear diffs. Its an entirely different platform than the DF02 or TT02B. If I recall correctly, one of the stock ball diffs is integrated into a crown wheel/bevel gear making the possibility of some kind of gear diff retro fit especially hard. I'd likely hunt down a used DF01 or grab the Top Force re-re. IMO, the DF01 was a superior buggy to the DF02 and TT02B. Metal dogbone/outdrives, tough gear diffs in the base models, no slipper clutches and good ground clearance are all part of the DF01 package. Parts are still readily available too.

Interesting feedback.  I am selling my TA01 because I don't like on road but also because the cost of converting it to DF01 spec was more than the cost of a whole new buggy. I will look for DF01 though. Thanks.

I've had zero bother with the ball diffs on my DF03,nitride balls in the rear and ceramic in the front.

4 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I've had zero bother with the ball diffs on my DF03,nitride balls in the rear and ceramic in the front.

How often do you have to rebuild them? Or maintain them? Or sacrifice a squirrel to them or whatever witchcraft is required to keep ball diffs happy?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

How often do you have to rebuild them? Or maintain them? Or sacrifice a squirrel to them or whatever witchcraft is required to keep ball diffs happy?

I've not rebuilt the df03 diffs since I did the ball upgrades in around 2012! 

I may strip it down and check them though and see if I need to pinch parts off my other.

The RB5 on the other hand....

• Like 1

Still a little concerned about the ball diffs, but I currently have a couple of options, similar money for a DF03 or a DF01. DF01 will need some parts (about £30 worth), so will end up more expensive than the DF03. However, it will then be pretty set. Ceramic diff balls will be about £20 so all in looking at similar money. Looking for bashing fun without constantly maintaining it. What do we think?

1 hour ago, Wooders28 said:

I've not rebuilt the df03 diffs since I did the ball upgrades in around 2012! 

I may strip it down and check them though and see if I need to pinch parts off my other.

The RB5 on the other hand....

Don't need any of that fancy rubbish just to build a balldiff, stock steel balls works fine. 

Main trick is to make sure the diff never slips (balls skidding on rings) so err on the side of tighter rather than looser.

Squish down the tension spring with pliers before installing, so there's less need to keep retightening after spring beds down after building. 

Diff rings I like to hone with sandpaper on glass/flat surface; shiny smooth is no good, I like to add a crosshatch pattern. 

DF03 diff outdrives are usually moulded pretty ok, but sometimes it's worth buying a set spare (they're cheap) just in case your diff builds notchy, then just try with another pair of outdrives.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

Don't need any of that fancy rubbish just to build a balldiff, stock steel balls works fine. 

I got told they were a weak point, so swapped over when I went to brushless, had no bother with the stock set up with brushed motors either. Diff balls are cheap enough (schumacher ones are about a fiver), to try anyway.

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Looking for bashing fun without constantly maintaining it. What do we think?

Bashed mine with the 5700 castle and 3s without mechanical issues, (crash damage excluded).Upgraded as I've broke stuff (snapped a wheel clean off, replaced with 3racing shafts, bent shocks - 3 racing shocks, etc, you know how it goes! lol).

I'll give you a shout in a few weeks after I've had a chance to go through the speed run df03, and maybe part with my spare car.

Schumacher balls work then? Seen those for reasonable money, which means the DF03 is cheapest option.

Thanks fellas. Sounds like I should be brave and get the DF03 and see how I go. To be honest, with the Thunder Dragon too, the DF01 is only a generation later so getting something quite different would be cool.

3 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Schumacher balls work then? 

That's what is in mine!

3mm if I remember right, but I'll check the manual. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I have done a lot of searching and came up with nothing hence asking here. It is a 55t diff so if anyone knows of any other tamiya 55t diffs that would be a start. DT03 is 45t as I have already checked.

If you were going to do a gear diff swap, use the manuals linked off this forum. They show you actual drawings for the parts, thus you could dig around them to find one with the right number of teeth. But it sounds like you are leaning towards rebuilding the ball diff. Either way works.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

If you were going to do a gear diff swap, use the manuals linked off this forum. They show you actual drawings for the parts, thus you could dig around them to find one with the right number of teeth. But it sounds like you are leaning towards rebuilding the ball diff. Either way works.

I have dug through a few manuals and only come up with smaller. I think I will get the DF03 and give it a go

Yeah, go for it. I like the DF01 and DF03. OOple.com did a nice review of the Keen Hawk which was the 2nd DF03 buggy released after the Dark Impact.