I started building my Subaru XV TT02. I got it to the point of being able to test drive it, and thought I would start a thread before it progressed any further. Plans are to do a rally build for bashing on dirt trails. 

Hoppups are:

• Tamiya TT02 CVA dampers
  • Tamiya High Speed Spur gear 
  • Fast Eddies sealed bearings
  • YR aluminum driveshaft.
  • YR steering kit
  • YR diff locker in the rear

Also included, are GPM aluminum battery posts. Unnecessary, but I originally robbed the Tamiya battery posts from this kit for my Neo Scorcher Truggy. I found these on eBay cheaper than another parts tree, and went for these. To be honest, I don't like them and wish I would have gotten the whole parts tree just for the Tamiya parts. The reason being is that it's much easier/faster to pull a pin out to change the battery, than it is to unscrew two little knobs.

The wheels came from eBay. I don't know the brand, and chose them just for the chunky tires. I will be putting the tires on the Subaru kit rims.

34667173454_f1e4495fbf_b.jpg

35122011110_2d434debba_b.jpg

34667172024_ebffc78fda_b.jpg

34667170644_e6402e39c4_b.jpg

35122009790_f608679177_b.jpg

• Like 6

You should consider coming to Waco once I get the body painted up on my TT-02R rally car (I just trimmed it up last night).  We could hit the trails at Cameron Park and take some pics of our TT-02 rally siblings!  :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Effigy3 said:

You should consider coming to Waco once I get the body painted up on my TT-02R rally car (I just trimmed it up last night).  We could hit the trails at Cameron Park and take some pics of our TT-02 rally siblings!  :)

That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm only 3.5hrs away slightly South of Houston. It could make for a fun day. In time, I could show up with more cars as I have a few un-built kits and 2 more on the way. I wonder how many Tamiya's I can fit in the trunk of an MX-5? 

Also, today, I removed the notch from the rear control arms like you did. It made for a big difference in rear suspension travel. With the chunky tires, I have 24mm of ground clearance. Thanks for that tip.

• Like 1

I cut, masked, and painted the body. The masks for the side windows are weird. I had trouble figuring out exactly where they were supposed to be placed. I must have taken the side windows off at least 6 times before I finally got it to look right. Luckily, the stickers will hide the lines.

I used PS-39 Translucent Light Blue as the first layer of paint. I then backed it with PS-41 Bright Silver. Once that was dry, I backed that with PS-5 Black. This was my first time using Translucent Light Blue, and even though I had used half of the can in the process, it was hard to tell if I had an even coat. In the end, I used the entire can of Translucent Light Blue before moving onto the Silver. Adding the Silver really made the paint stand out. 

35579862106_9e21d64b0e_b.jpg

35579860416_263d6b68bd_b.jpg

35619326115_0b3fe92093_b.jpg

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

I cut, masked, and painted the body. The masks for the side windows are weird. I had trouble figuring out exactly where they were supposed to be placed. I must have taken the side windows off at least 6 times before I finally got it to look right. Luckily, the stickers will hide the lines.

I used PS-39 Translucent Light Blue as the first layer of paint. I then backed it with PS-41 Bright Silver. Once that was dry, I backed that with PS-5 Black. This was my first time using Translucent Light Blue, and even though I had used half of the can in the process, it was hard to tell if I had an even coat. In the end, I used the entire can of Translucent Light Blue before moving onto the Silver. Adding the Silver really made the paint stand out. 

35579862106_9e21d64b0e_b.jpg

35579860416_263d6b68bd_b.jpg

35619326115_0b3fe92093_b.jpg

I'm not a great fan of blue but that really works well. Nice job! 👍

4 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

I had trouble with the window masks as well.  In the end I used extra masking but in doing so I also over masked.  Like you, the window stickers covered the mistake well enough.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Effigy3 said:

I had trouble with the window masks as well.  In the end I used extra masking but in doing so I also over masked.  Like you, the window stickers covered the mistake well enough.

Yeah, it's confusing on how they're supposed to line up. 

6 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I'm not a great fan of blue but that really works well. Nice job! 👍

I really like the light blue color of the 1:1 Subaru XV's, but then again it could just be that I am partial to blue Subaru's. I used to have a dark blue '86 DL and a light blue '90 Loyale wagon.