Sign in to follow this  
jonboy1

Scania R470 to R620?

Hi,

so im painting up a mates Scania R470 for him, and we were chatting about colours and trim etc and I said half jokingly that it would be nice if it was the R620, and he said he did too but when he bought it (about 10 years ago!!!) they didn't do it.

So I've got to wondering, what would be involved in making it an R620? I'm guessing new chassis rails, middle axle, springs, wheels and mudguards and a link driveshaft. Does this sound about right or am I missing something hugely obvious?

any thoughts appreciated 😀

2 hours ago, topforcein said:

tbh it prob will be cheaper to buy the kit

^^^ THIS ^^^

By the time you have bought all the bits to do the conversion you could pretty much have bought a complete kit !

• Like 1

I did a bogie drive conversion on my Mercedes 1838LS, and it didn't cost that much, and wasn't that difficult to do..

Obviously if you wanted a 6x4 truck, you wouldn't buy a 4x2 and then convert it, but if you already have a 4x2 it is worth considering..

Axle.  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-1-14-Truck-Dual-Drive-Rear-Axle-Suits-Man-Scania-/192215969977?hash=item2cc0f6f0b9:g:JikAAOxyeZNTUntA

Have a talk to Gareth from prices model trucks (the eBay link that I posted) and see if he can help you with the other bits that you need..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Backlash said:

I did a bogie drive conversion on my Mercedes 1838LS, and it didn't cost that much, and wasn't that difficult to do..

Obviously if you wanted a 6x4 truck, you wouldn't buy a 4x2 and then convert it, but if you already have a 4x2 it is worth considering..

Axle.  http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tamiya-1-14-Truck-Dual-Drive-Rear-Axle-Suits-Man-Scania-/192215969977?hash=item2cc0f6f0b9:g:JikAAOxyeZNTUntA

Have a talk to Gareth from prices model trucks (the eBay link that I posted) and see if he can help you with the other bits that you need..

Brilliant - thank you very much!! :)

I used the original 4x2 chassis rails on my Mercedes, and just re-drilled them to suit the bogie rear suspension.. I'm not sure if you can do that with the Scania though.. It may depend on if you want to keep the side skirts, or have the sides exposed like we see here in Australia..

Here is a pic of my Mercedes 1838 (now 2650) 6x4 conversion..

Shorty.jpg

• Like 2

If the kit was still unused it would be cheaper to sell it off and buy the r620.

Nothing wrong with the 4x2. The single axle trucks fit the trailers better anyway, as the fifth wheel is closer to the cab. They are also a bit easier to reverse with the shorter wheelbase.