iluvmud

Konghead... build thread and mod thread

Well guys, it finally arrived!!! Had a couple people mention a build thread and I thought "why not" ...... so here we go. I will not only be building the Konghead but also modding it as I go along as funds become available to buy said mods. As of right now Im on the fence about building it completely to stock then updating as parts come in or leaving off the parts I plan to mod and let it sit while waiting for mods to come in.... Opinions?

For now, on to the build!!

Tower has sent me my goodie :)

IMG_2419_zpsshrvmnqr.jpg

Beauty of it is that although there is an obscenely large amount of gears in the tranny/chassis it's pretty straight forward...... did I mention that there are LOTS of bearings needing for this thing?? You read the number but it doesnt translate until you see the bag of plastic bushings that come with the kit... dont worry, I already replaced them all with rubber sealed bearings (turns out I'm 2 bearings short... I'll just have to have a shelfer without a front wheel for a bit).

IMG_2420_zps0uay26z0.jpg

i guess for speed of production they dont make any special concessions for this kit as there are A LOT of spares from all the part trees needed for one/two pieces so if you have a TL01/TL01B you'll be set for spares :) 

IMG_2421_zpsc5qhbkfp.jpg

Not ALL of these items are spares but about 90% of them are.

IMG_2435_zpsumcykasq.jpg

Again once the gears all go in and the halves are put together with the funky center arm mount pieces the rest is pretty straight forward (that and the weird center upper shock mount setup)....

car already mostly assembled...

IMG_2423_zpsehzpxr9d.jpg

IMG_2425_zpspxpwalnj.jpg

Now for some of it's 1st mods.... since I have a ton of TL01/B parts lying around I had some cool stuff to switch out... 1st being this spare CF brace piece Ive had sitting on my desk for quite some time.

IMG_2426_zps6r26jj1f.jpg

Also some spare reinforced parts that I had left were front end and middle pieces, but didnt have enough for the rear steering so that stays stock

IMG_2430_zpsy9lrpbmp.jpg

IMG_2429_zps3hjp7ejw.jpg

For steering duty I went on the cheap........ but still a good servo for the money which is a Tactic TSX47 digital MG servo for the front and I didnt think about the rear but luckily I have a spare MG Spektrum servo that'll handle the back side.

IMG_2434_zps8qjumgfw.jpg

Current state of my office/man cave/storage/workshop- Ignore the mess

IMG_2431_zpsoohh637q.jpg

IMG_2433_zpsbvq5tiqu.jpg

Plans for the build-

I abhor chrome wheels so these will never get mounted (anyone want to buy some spare wheels??)  as I have already ordered another set of wheels which will set the tone for the paint scheme... as for other mods it will get the important GF01 mods (steering mods etc.) and any new ones that become available specifically for the GF06 and of course eventually....... a new body!!

Hope you enjoy the pics and there are more to come as I got this far assembling while watching some Shameless :)

MUD

• Like 9

I would totally buy one ........but this ugly shell ....OMG IS THIS THING UGLY

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emperor said:

I would totally buy one ........but this ugly shell ....OMG IS THIS THING UGLY

To each his own :) it's not my favorite body, but I've seen worse and it also might not even make it on this rig... 

The Kong Head reminds me of the old movie "Rolling Vengeance". Any of you guys remember that one?  -lol

5 hours ago, iluvmud said:

To each his own :) it's not my favorite body, but I've seen worse and it also might not even make it on this rig... 

I'm interested to see what body you find that will fit on this thing. The extra wheel wells are the puzzling aspect since I can't think of another body that is setup for 6x6 use. But I agree with above, this body leaves a lot to be desired. But the truck is pretty cool beyond the weirdness of the body. I also always thought the Bullhead was pretty weird as well... but it was pretty fun to drive!

if you want weird, then how about Tamiya release a lexan steam train body for g6-01? Smoke generator optional!

(we have had f1 style buggies and fighter plane inspired but not trains yet! 😀)

• Like 2

We need a 6x6 boat with paddle tires.

Also, I don't mind the body of the Konghead or Bullhead.

5 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

The Kong Head reminds me of the old movie "Rolling Vengeance". Any of you guys remember that one?  -lol

I'm interested to see what body you find that will fit on this thing. The extra wheel wells are the puzzling aspect since I can't think of another body that is setup for 6x6 use. But I agree with above, this body leaves a lot to be desired. But the truck is pretty cool beyond the weirdness of the body. I also always thought the Bullhead was pretty weird as well... but it was pretty fun to drive!

Well, the body will be custom I just have to verify that I can get the body mounted like I want 

• Like 2

IMG_2420_zps0uay26z0.jpg

So I was looking pretty close at these pictures and I had an outside the box thought. Most of us like to modify our RC's and seeing how this gear box is laid out. It appears that one could do a couple cuts and add separate motors to drive this thing. Or if steering was an issue. Then you could remove the drive from the fronts pretty easily to make them turn farther, while keeping the 4WD in the back. I guess the point that I'm making is that there's more you can do with this setup than some other RC's from its modular design. Plus its only a matter of time before parts retailers mod this thing to become insane crawlers.

9 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

IMG_2420_zps0uay26z0.jpg

So I was looking pretty close at these pictures and I had an outside the box thought. Most of us like to modify our RC's and seeing how this gear box is laid out. It appears that one could do a couple cuts and add separate motors to drive this thing. Or if steering was an issue. Then you could remove the drive from the fronts pretty easily to make them turn farther, while keeping the 4WD in the back. I guess the point that I'm making is that there's more you can do with this setup than some other RC's from its modular design. Plus its only a matter of time before parts retailers mod this thing to become insane crawlers.

Fantastic view of quite a unique a chassis that is actually a gearbox in itself. This new vehicle reminds me a lot of the "King of the Road" monster truck:

eAYLuin.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

Fantastic view of quite a unique a chassis that is actually a gearbox in itself. This new vehicle reminds me a lot of the "King of the Road" monster truck:

eAYLuin.jpg

I was thinking of KING Hauler type of body .  This would be the go .  Could all so cut the wheel archers off the kong body & it

would be close to this as well ??.  Will be an interesting build MUD , to see what you will be using .

so far no major updates.... It is sitting waiting for mod parts to arrive. I did put on the stock shocks as the budget is tight with me buying the body project, and mod parts which include....

-hi-torque servo savers X2

-aluminum servo saver arms X2

-front aluminum servo lowering bracket

-front aluminum steering arm

-different wheels

-frp battery plate

so shocks will have to wait for a bit.

as it sits now

IMG_2453_zpswnto8kai.jpg

• Like 2

I know you said that you were going to use a different body, but will you still be completing the body that came with it?

8 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

I know you said that you were going to use a different body, but will you still be completing the body that came with it?

thought about it.... it would/could be painted to tie into the custom body... but then again the body mounts would need to be moved per body change. So now thinking about it, It'll probably go on Ebay once I can confirm what I want to do is doable. 

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:20 PM, Prescient said:

Any chance of some pics of the body against other Tamiya trucks for scale?

here this will probably help you with the perspective..... 

same width as the Lunchbox, little bit longer.

IMG_2456_zps3bprhq0a.jpg

IMG_2457_zpsx0osaqcc.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, iluvmud said:

here this will probably help you with the perspective..... 

same width as the Lunchbox, little bit longer.

Oh wow, I would have never guessed that the KH was sized so close to the LB body. It looks SO MASSIVE on the pictures. It makes you expect it to be a bigger version of a Clod Buster. Yet really its not that big at all.

Now I'm imagining an extended body Lunch Box! Or maybe a 4 door Midnight Pumpkin!

10 minutes ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

Now I'm imagining an extended body Lunch Box! 

.............. imagine that..... :) 

speaking of, while waiting on my parts, I broke down and bought a set of shocks and fell bad theyre not Tamiya..... :(  I decided to start putting the rear steering together since there is no aluminum replacement for it, and upgraded the servo mounts to aluminum but noticed in a video someone posted that the rear steering was really lacking and could see the problem with the steering and think I can improve it a little. Will have to wait for parts to come in to start working on it.

IMG_2459_zpsjzrhchld.jpg

IMG_2461_zpscweqrhm7.jpg

More to come!

MUD

19 minutes ago, iluvmud said:

.............. imagine that..... :)

Backstory, I was given a couple Lunch Boxes that have been sitting in my shop floor for a couple years. I've been hoping to find a project to use them on. You know how it is, you don't want to throw them out since they are prime Tamiya fodder. Thus you are being inspirational for others even if you don't realize it.

28 minutes ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

Backstory, I was given a couple Lunch Boxes that have been sitting in my shop floor for a couple years. I've been hoping to find a project to use them on. You know how it is, you don't want to throw them out since they are prime Tamiya fodder. Thus you are being inspirational for others even if you don't realize it.

Hah thanks!!!! Once the bodies come in I'll start snapping picks and learning how to cut and combine the two bodies into one stretched one.... I would rather have dual rear wheel wells, but we'll see if it's possible, looking at the KH's rear wheel wells it might not be but we'll see!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Is that the Hobbyking waterproof servo?

Nah old Spektrum MG servo Z590 I'm guessing (sticker is gone)

Well these showed up today.....

IMG_2493_zpsyvo1buu4.jpg

now to figure out how to mod them....

• Like 5

22 hours ago, iluvmud said:

now to figure out how to mod them....

Measure once, cut twice.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Measure once, cut twice.

HAH.... Im going to go see a friend about helping me cut these.... guys a master wood worker so Im hoping he has some type of Jig to get perfect cuts on these to reduce and king of filling :)