iluvmud

Konghead... build thread and mod thread

More complicated way that would help keep it straight.

Im no graphic designer.

Both my options may be slightly trickier, but thats what I would do.

20170812_002517.jpg

The reason I suggest this is it looks like the whole shell reduces in height in the rear 1/4?

I own the uk version of the real van and they are not as square in the back as you think.

Whatever you do, measure alot first. A visible dip, ripple or seam wouldnt be great.

Its going to be awesome though.

Other option is to double cab pick up it. 

man........................ ill have to start looking at it and measuring. lol

interesting ideas, your 1st looks similar to my original thought, I was also concerned with removing just the fender flare pieces and reattaching them as it seems like it wouldnt be as strong vs being a whole piece that is being moved/reglued

I am just looking at it in the way id do it if I was doing the real van. No way id be cutting straight lines down it. Always stagger the joints and alway try and keep one joint sliding so the two original halfs always touch.

Obviously working on (relatively) thick plastic rather than thin steel has different issues.

Have you any big external calipers? The kind that just pinch like a big pair of fingers hinged like a compass.  If not you can make some very easily. Will make taking proper measurements alot easier.

Get some flared arches on it, and play with the acres of side space. Plenty of room for flake, lace, panel fogging and portholes.

dsc08538_orig.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, graemevw said:

Get some flared arches on it, and play with the acres of side space. Plenty of room for flake, lace, panel fogging and portholes.

That's a nice van!

I get what graemevw is saying about the curves and shape of the LB body. Have you seen @Vanspeed 's work? It's amazing. May want to ask him for suggestions or tips.

Looking awesome, admittedly I wasn't that into these until I just saw this video from Japan. These guys have made some awesome looking Kongs...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JNSD1 said:

Looking awesome, admittedly I wasn't that into these until I just saw this video from Japan. These guys have made some awesome looking Kongs...

That landing at 1:57. :o :lol:

23 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Ive not watched one run before. They do jump waaay better than I expected!

Going to be great with the van body.

36 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Ive not watched one run before. They do jump waaay better than I expected!

Going to be great with the van body.

Excuse screenshot images, my phone is being a proper pain!

Paint this one black and in a similar way to this one put a mural of mount rushmore or whatever its called on the side!

Screenshot_2017-08-12-16-06-28.png

Screenshot_2017-08-12-16-06-00.png

• Like 4

I think a custom Donkey Kong bannana rig body version would look cool..

Hi 'Mud - just a couple of quick questions if I may - since you are in the middle of this build...

1. With the bearing kit, did you get the Fast Eddie ones, or something else? The reason I ask is that the Fast Eddie kit seems to list 24 x 1150 bearings, whereas the RCbearings kit (UK) has 36 x 1150s - how many are actually required to fully ball-race this kit?

2. Regarding the rear steering set-up. Which parts are included (if any) in the kit, and what else do you need. I have a bunch of TL-01 and M-chassis plastic parts, so I'm confident I can put something together, but I'd be interested if there are any metal components etc. that might also be required.

Also, regarding the rear steering - the suggestion is you need an other channel on your Tx/Rc - but could you not just use a reversing Y-cable (like you'd use for plane flaps, or on my 4WS crawler for example) and run with two-channels? - or does the rear axle require a different ratio to actuate the linkage in your opinion?

Many thanks in advance... this kit has got me thinking!

Jenny x

2 hours ago, JennyMo said:

Hi 'Mud - just a couple of quick questions if I may - since you are in the middle of this build...

1. With the bearing kit, did you get the Fast Eddie ones, or something else? The reason I ask is that the Fast Eddie kit seems to list 24 x 1150 bearings, whereas the RCbearings kit (UK) has 36 x 1150s - how many are actually required to fully ball-race this kit?

2. Regarding the rear steering set-up. Which parts are included (if any) in the kit, and what else do you need. I have a bunch of TL-01 and M-chassis plastic parts, so I'm confident I can put something together, but I'd be interested if there are any metal components etc. that might also be required.

Also, regarding the rear steering - the suggestion is you need an other channel on your Tx/Rc - but could you not just use a reversing Y-cable (like you'd use for plane flaps, or on my 4WS crawler for example) and run with two-channels? - or does the rear axle require a different ratio to actuate the linkage in your opinion?

Many thanks in advance... this kit has got me thinking!

Jenny x

Jenny, you will need 36 of the 1150's for the Konghead. You can e-mail Fast Eddies to see if it's a typo. I just bought some of their 10 packs so I would have a couple spares.

All the parts needed for rear steering are included, all you need is a servo and a standard y-cable. The servo mounts on the opposite side of the chassis, in the opposite direction as the front one, so they turn correctly.

It's a fun truck. Since mine was built, it's the only one my 11 year old wants to take out. I'd love to see what you can do for a custom body for it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Biz73 said:

Jenny, you will need 36 of the 1150's for the Konghead. You can e-mail Fast Eddies to see if it's a typo. I just bought some of their 10 packs so I would have a couple spares.

All the parts needed for rear steering are included, all you need is a servo and a standard y-cable. The servo mounts on the opposite side of the chassis, in the opposite direction as the front one, so they turn correctly.

It's a fun truck. Since mine was built, it's the only one my 11 year old wants to take out. I'd love to see what you can do for a custom body for it!

Excellent news! - sounds like it's even easier than I thought then - thank you so much!

You guys are just trying to make me spend more money aren't you?!

Jx

7 hours ago, JennyMo said:

Excellent news! - sounds like it's even easier than I thought then - thank you so much!

You guys are just trying to make me spend more money aren't you?!

Jx

On that subject, you might also want to spend a little more money on 4 X 850 bearings - then you can ballrace both steering bellcranks too.

Given your previous builds, I too can't wait to see what you do in terms of the shell! I'm guessing Willy will be at the wheel?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

On that subject, you might also want to spend a little more money on 4 X 850 bearings - then you can ballrace both steering bellcranks too.

Given your previous builds, I too can't wait to see what you do in terms of the shell! I'm guessing Willy will be at the wheel?

Hi Turnip' - yes, it appears the bearing kit from Stella models has 40 bearings in total, so I'm presuming 36 x 1150s and the 4 x 850 you suggest...

As for the body, well, you got me thinking* over on the STUMPkamper thread didn't you ;o)

Jx

*Although I'm still tempted to buy a King Hauler hard-body and build a rusty old homage to Timothy Dalton...

• Thanks 1

any update on this? looking forward to seeing the finished product!