iluvmud

Konghead... build thread and mod thread

Speed control and receiver are in.... still waiting on *******in mods.... taking forever. Even the wheels that I ordered at least a week before some other mods is now apparently being sent in the same shipping container.... kinda *******ed they waited a full week to decide to ship them, wanted to a least have this thing standing on its own....

Found a tble02 I could switch from one of my cars (My lunchbox II build) and have added a 17.5T BL motor and a fan in case all the gears are too much for this thing... havent soldered the wires due to me waiting on the metal pinion I ordered (should be way faster as theyre in the states). but this is how it sits.

IMG_2528_zps0nr9meo6.jpg

IMG_2527_zpstm2vdxoo.jpg

• Like 2

Got some goodies for my Lunbox 3 (think that's the name Im giving it since itll be my 3rd- 2nd custom LB build).... sad that the crap that ships w/o tracking gets here before the crap that has it.....

IMG_2562_zpsvsx8im3p.jpg

and installed........ still waiting for the rest of the servo saver and parts........ (did I mention how much I hate waiting?!?!?!)

IMG_2563_zpsxwlfase1.jpg

That's all for now..... still hate waiting..... and hate not having the wheels at least so he can stand on his own!!

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Loving the bling.

Lol thanks! Honestly I'm not a fan.... it'd be way cooler if they sold satin finished stuff in gray or black :) 

15 hours ago, iluvmud said:

Lol thanks! Honestly I'm not a fan.... it'd be way cooler if they sold satin finished stuff in gray or black :) 

There's always flat paint, or you can get a plating kit from Eastwood to blacken the metal parts, if it truly bothers you.

On 7/12/2017 at 3:59 AM, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

There's always flat paint, or you can get a plating kit from Eastwood to blacken the metal parts, if it truly bothers you.

hah! flat paint will flake off, the blackening kit might not be bad but Im ok with it.... would be cooler if they made black/gray parts...

As for updates

got some parts in

IMG_2611_zpshfifmdqp.jpg

was going to show them installed but then found out that the Spektrum servo output shaft thingy is too large for the Tamiya hi torque servo saver pieces that came with the kit. I guess that Futaba is too small even for the Spektrum servo so I have to now order another servo........... anyone got a cheap MG servo lying around?

well, its standing on its own...... i ordered two sets of wheels but the seller decided to send only half the order on top of taking their time to send them off...... so here's how it sits now. Its not bad, but not as nice as

IMG_2622_zps26nuy1n9.jpg

IMG_2620_zpsrvvrcdwl.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/15/2017 at 4:44 AM, TwistedxSlayer said:

Getting there :-)

slowly but surely..... So it looks like the LB hacking is going to be way more than I originally thought...... but dont get confused, its gonna happen!!!!

Here's how one body sits on it..

IMG_2633_zps9k6afqzx.jpg

I thought it was going to be a simple hack and glue...... NOPE!! If you notice, the moon roof falls just over the rear tire so I gotta do a little extra cutting to get to where I can get the fenders to line up....

like this....

Untitled_zpskqcnsdhj.jpg

the red will be removed, that will then shorten the LB body so the rear wheel well will line up with the center wheels..... and let me simply cut the rear off and slap on the rear quarter to get it all lined up

I thought about just slapping it all together and making one long fender to cover the wheels.......... but then the body lines wont really match up and Im anal like that so.......... go big or go home!!!

I got in the servo for the rear steer so its all ready to go and because of that I think Im gonna pull the Konghead body of Zeebay and paint it up in the same color scheme as I will be rolling with this truck just so I can drive it cause running it in my office with 4WS was TOO COOL!!! I gotta drive it at least a little bit!

EDIT** Oh yeah, and my other set of yellow wheels came in GO ME!!

• Like 2

A quick run through photoshop. Is this your plan? 

36083527415_ed1751e19a_b.jpg

If so, then let the pic serve as inspiration to continue forward with your idea.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

A quick run through photoshop. Is this your plan? 

36083527415_ed1751e19a_b.jpg

If so, then let the pic serve as inspiration to continue forward with your idea.

Hah, yup that's the plan!! 

• Like 3

Does anyone think I can do this with a Sand Scorcher shell ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????   :) 

• Like 1

Probably worth trying with a cheap Kamtec one first...

2 hours ago, SRB Bloke said:

Does anyone think I can do this with a Sand Scorcher shell ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????   :) 

No doubts at all. Build thread with lots of pics please... ;) 

• Like 1

Ok, so still haven't gotten around to making the LB body... in the mean time I have gone ahead and painted the KH body and used the LB theme.... turned out pretty good for a temp body albeit a little more yellow than I anticipated.

IMG_2680_zps3t3cipii.jpg

IMG_2681_zpsppnfimls.jpg

IMG_2682_zpscizmagqu.jpg

• Like 9

Nice! I think blue may have been the wrong color for the Konghead boxart. This looks great!

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

That looks great! Better than box-art IMO!

53 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Nice! I think blue may have been the wrong color for the Konghead boxart. This looks great!

Thanks guys!! I like it, but I think the stretched LB body will look even better!!

Personally, I wouldnt cut it that way.

I would cut down about a short bit behind the doors then cut back along the body swage and down in front of the rear arch. I would then slide the rear section back to line up rear arches.

Then put in a u section of roof in the top and fill in the gaps in the lower sides with arch sections.

Stronger, easier to line up, far easier to get all the arches in the right place and no horrible top to bottom seams to fix.

10 hours ago, graemevw said:

Personally, I wouldnt cut it that way.

I would cut down about a short bit behind the doors then cut back along the body swage and down in front of the rear arch. I would then slide the rear section back to line up rear arches.

Then put in a u section of roof in the top and fill in the gaps in the lower sides with arch sections.

Stronger, easier to line up, far easier to get all the arches in the right place and no horrible top to bottom seams to fix.

Draw it out cause IR dumb.....

I wouldn't even know how to start. I use my phone, it also seems to have stopped letting me save pics. Even if it did, I have no idea how to draw lines on in.

ill see if I can rustle up some old school paper and pen style action.

Ok, no effort given. But shows the idea. As long as you have enough room to stretch. Hopefully with a reasonable overlap. Then cut the top roof U section and arches from the second shell.

Needs measuring to make sure this method is doable.

There is obviously scale issues with my blueprint.

20170812_001559.jpg