Granddad Stinky

Oh! Photobucket.

Photo bucket has cut me off. I didn't realise that I wasn't supposed to do third party hosting unless you pay for it.

Have you reached a storage limit? I've been using it for a few years without issue (other than pop up ads that render it unusable on an iphone).

4 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Can anyone see my build thread photos? I get a picture of a clock, telling me to upgrade.

No all I see is the gas gauge saying to upgrade. I figure they changed their policy and expect everyone to pay now. So that means I'll be closing my photo bucket account!

Happened to me, too. This is not due to bandwidth (10 GB bandwidth was included in the free account), but due to a recent change in terms of service on 26 June 2017:

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

• Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
  • Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
  • Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
  • Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).

Source: http://photobucket.com/terms

Is this for reals?  Literally 2 weeks ago I got really annoyed with Photobucket's incessant advertising causing horrific access speeds when trying to administer my library, so I decided up sticks and go to another provider.  Except I couldn't find any other provider that made it easy to remote-link images, even paid ones, so I decided to spend the $2.49 a month to get rid of ads.  The difference has been astounding.  I'd say "well worth it" if it wasn't for the fact that Photobucket effectively ransomed me into paying for it.  I even went to the effort of setting up auto-backups off my phone so I never have to worry about getting stuff into my library and I can post updates from anywhere in the world.

I can't believe PB would drop support for remote hosting, that's pretty much the entire point of it, plus they provide a real easy button on the dash to do just that.

I've noticed that my linked photos still seem to be working (just checked PB and I wasn't logged in) but I also notice a lovely new updated terms of service agreement that does, indeed, state that remote linking isn't allowed on 'free' accounts.

I have to admit, life was a hundred times easier when I paid for server space on my domain name...  Wasn't cheap, tho.

I think I'll be investigating Flickr later and moving all my stuff off PB as soon as I have the time.

I dropped Photobucket 9 years ago and made the switch to Flickr. I liked Flickr so much, that I have never once thought about going back to Photobucket.

Same as the rest of the interwebs. A lot of build threads at the PB forum has gone Empty Gas gauge as well.

This is sneaky beyond government levels. They can't possibly expect everyone to fork out a fee, I guess the advertising isn't swelling the pockets of the owners enough. 😕

25 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

This is sneaky beyond government levels. They can't possibly expect everyone to fork out a fee, I guess the advertising isn't swelling the pockets of the owners enough. 😕

CEO needed a new yacht...

• Like 2

Yea happened to me too. Am I right is it $399 a year they want if so that's mental. I've been using photobucket for atleast 11 or 12 years. I have a lot of photos on there but I've downloaded flickr too I'll see how I get on with that.

I use TCPhotos for photo hosting all the stuff I put on the forum, free if you're a TamiyaClub subscriber ;)

• Like 2

A 20 year's old passion, over than 2000 picture hosted, a lot of thread in a lot of sites and forums. All my writings are without photos, now. Thank you photobucket for your kindly support.

• Like 1

I only post pictures on here. If I have to pay to do it, I know who's having my money.

PhotoBucket's loss is Tamiya Club's gain.

6 hours ago, MadInventor said:

I use TCPhotos for photo hosting all the stuff I put on the forum, free if you're a TamiyaClub subscriber ;)

That's me subscribed. £15 for a year? BARGAIN!

4 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

That's me subscribed. £15 for a year? BARGAIN!

How I thought it was a myth!

Been on here years and never worked out how you can! 

Beginning to think it was only if you knew the handshake 🤜🖖🤘👍

10 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I only post pictures on here. If I have to pay to do it, I know who's having my money.

PhotoBucket's loss is Tamiya Club's gain.

Well, I don't know how this kind of stuff works legally in First world countries, but what Photobucket has just done seems to be edgy to say the least. I've been using Photobucket for over a decade now, and I do remember I also used to have a Imageshack account but they took it from me when I refused to pay for their service which at first was obviously free. It is going to be the same with Photobucket now -I will not let them take my money by changing onesidedly the user agreement.

Now, about what you say about the TamiyaClub, for about nine years I used to be a paid up member, now not anymore. They got about 100GBP while I was a member and still they got some of my pictures lost. I was not expecting this and did not saved them myself, no way to recover them anymore. Well, contrary to my unfortunate experience in this Club/website, I can say in over a decade storing photos on Photobucket I never got a single picture or video lost. Now of course that doesn't mean I'm going to go ahead with whatever these guys want from me.

This is big news on a lot of forums, I personally have build threads for various things (1:1 cars, bikes etc) which now all need editing for rehosted pictures, ultimately who has the time for that :(

Photobucket have single handedly killed so many resources, how to guides, tutorials etc and it's another kick against forums when they are already heavily on the decline as people move to doing everything on social media :(

Personally, last night I removed all the photos and information from their site. In the end I closed my account. No going back.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, mastino said:

Personally, last night I removed all the photos and information from their site. In the end I closed my account. No going back.

I'll be following you on that mastino, as soon as I have the time to.

3 hours ago, Ian_Gsi16V said:

Photobucket have single handedly killed so many resources, how to guides, tutorials etc

There dead to me.  I will be closing my account also.

• Like 1