Bdongyface

Which cars are the modern classics?

I've been lurking on here for quite a while reading up on everything and learning as much as I could from you seasoned pros whilst I built my 2010 holiday buggy. I loved the build and even enjoyed painting the cowboy, much to my surprise, and am really pleased with the final result. Like many people on here I have had a good twenty odd years gap between my first and second cars, and this build has really ignited a passion for me. As a kid my dad drove the Ford Ranger XLT and when I was old enough I went for the King Cab. They are both still hiding in my parents house somewhere!

Now I've finished the holiday buggy I'm looking to expand my collection and I was wondering what are tamiyas modern classsics? The cars that are going to inspire the next generation to pick up the hobby and come back again? I love the looks of many of the re-released cars as these are the ones I grew up around, but I am aware that much of the design and technology is quite dated. Just wondering if there are modern equivalents to the Grasshoppers, blackfoots and lunchboxes that inspired so many of us to get building and outside driving. 

Are there any modern chassis that everyone should own or are the re-releases the future? 

A lot of people like the WR / WT / GF chassis, and it's easy to see why.  Mechanically they are robust, and you can get some interesting bodies on them.  Wild Willy 2000, Blackfoot Extreme III, and I would even say Heavy Dump Truck are all great modern models with character.

People love buggies too, and the DT and DF chassis get some love.  Sand Viper, Plasma Edge (I and II), Neo Scorcher, etc. are probably selling in enough volume that there will be a cult following in 20 years.

At the more expensive end I think the CR01 chassis is really quite nice and has a number of good bodies - Unimog 406 and Ford Bronco come to mind.  It hasn't achieved the status of Axial products, but it has the right level of over engineering to be a Tamiya.

I think the XV-01 is a modern classic. It's typical Tamiya design philosophy. Also, what Speedy said about the WR/WT/GF chassis and the CR-01. All of these are very Tamiya as in someone who's into RC would immediately know they were Tamiyas without needing to be told so. Kind of like some bands like The Grateful Dead, 311, The Clash, The Beastie Boys, etc. You hear a few notes and you instantly know who they are. 

• Like 1

I don't have one, but there seem to be a general consensus about the brilliance of the DB01. So much so that I wish Tamiya gave the RRR a proper body, a better name and some old school boxart and blisters. 

• Like 1

The wild willy 2 has caught my eye, and my sons! I think that having a driver really makes the car come alive and it gives it more character, the kids around us all love the look of the holiday buggy and especially the fact that a cowboy is driving it!

The problem that I have with the modern buggies is that to the un-trained eye they all do look rather similar and lack some of the character of the older cars. The XV-01 does look good and would be perfect for the large gravel track in our yard, finding a cool body and driver for it would be the challenge. I have limited storage space and funds for cars so I'm reluctant to buy anything too big at the moment. Are the M chassis just as solid as the full size ones, and could any of those be classed as must have cars, and can you fit a driver in?  

My mate has all the M-chassis from 1 to 6, and out of all of them, the most rugged seems to be the M-03. It is a very simple chassis, sharing a lot of DNA with the TL-01. The bumpers, suspension arms, diffs, axles, uprights, etc are interchangeable between them. And yes, you can fit a driver - I have seen several much projects over the years.

I think we need a definition of "classic" or rather what makes a car classic. Sales numbers? Are we talking the modern equivalent of the Hornet (which sold tons of units)? Are we talking interchangability (the Lego concept)? A lot of Tamiya vehicles today have swap-able parts to come up with something new. Flat out quirky-ness like the new Konghead? How about Tamiya's unique over engineering like the Avante had? The CR-01 definitely fits that bill. There's a bunch of roads to go down when considering an answer.

I'd say a modern classic is the TA03.  It genuinely sets the standard for what was to come.  Belt-drive touring cars.

For a currently produced chassis, I'd say the XV01.  Incredibly durable, flexible parts, sharp handling, and in a crash it just disassembles instead of breaks.

• Like 1

The m03 sounds interesting. The m03 chassis is available for 43€ or an xb swift for 69€ on tamico at the moment, which seems very reasonable to me. Thinking about setting one up as a rally car so me and my son can race on the gravel track together. Would it be possible to increase the ground clearance enough to be similar to my holiday buggy?  My son is currently driving a vintage nikko dingo, so I our "races" aren't quite fair! 

The ground clearance on the M-03 can be raised easily by fitting the raised F parts from the M-05RA, part number 51425.

It depends upon how you define the word classic!

My dad would say a classic car is a car which was desirable in its day like a Healy 3000 Ferrari GTO etc.

But if you didn't have much money any car would be desirable even a Ford Pop!

A classic chassis must have some defining qualities, unique and good performance.

A TA03 gets my vote.

sven

Like a few have already said, a tough question as whats the definition of classic. BUT if its like 1:1 cars then I would say the DT02/3 and TT01/2 and DF02/TT02B will be like a Ford Cortina is now, purely because they sell in large numbers and loads of people will remember them fondly.

Then I agree with @Robert5000 that the DB01 will be as so many people rave about how good it is, the Porsche 911 type classic.

I doubt the TRF cars will be remembered that fondly though as they just don't seem that popular with racers.

I also know nothing about the onroad/truck/crawlers though so can't comment but since I want one then the TA07 will be

I think half the problem now is that Tamiyas aren't sold the way they were.  It's hard to put a point on it exactly but TT01s, DT02s etc don't really have the same appeal as the old touring or buggy chassis because they've become too streamlined by evolution.  And yet, due to Tamiya's target market, careful budgeting and sometimes baffling marketing philosophy, they haven't become streamlined enough to actually compete with anything else on the market.  I'm not sure if it's cause or effect that Tamiya seem to occupy their own special market place with their meanstream releases.

A friend of mine put it quite accurately about vintage Tamiya when he said "every Tamiya has to have its flaw" - almost as if they deliberately engineered them in.  These days their deliberate engineering of flaws seems to stop at not including proper bearings or oil shocks when so many cheaper competitors are doing so.

The Konghead is Tamiya at their oldskool best - a radical chassis design that nobody asked for, nobody expected and everyone wants.  The body choice has split opinions but no doubt they'll be along with another body design soon.  I'm sure some people are already trying to modify it to make it perform like a proper any-terrain rig, but I doubt Tamiya ever intended it to be more than a slightly impressive toy with a "more wheels than thou" trump card.

If you're talking about "will be valuable in the future" then it's something not likely to be re-released.  Rover Mini Coopers sold in vast numbers (after all, who doesn't love a Mini Cooper?) but a sudden and unexpected argument with BMW over licencing has seen them all discontinued.  I had one on my want-list for years and hit BIN as soon as I found out they were disappearing.  Fortunately I got one for less than retail price (imported from Europe) so I won't be hit if there's a U-turn on licencing in the next few years, but if the current state endures then it can only go up in value.  I'll just have to refrain from building it.  Or not.  Like I say, I always wanted one, and if it turns out to have no value, it'll look great on my shelf.  Even with value, it's unlikely I'd sell it unless I desperately needed the money or the space.

• Like 1

Modern classic. For me gotta be the TB01. The Konghead will go down in history for reasons good and bad. Good - 6wd and 4ws. Bad - that god awful body.

I actually think there are very few true modern classics depending where you set your time period. Mainly because of the volume of production and sales and where there is a fine line between vintage, modern but vintage chassis based and modern.

In this context do you classify a TXT-1 or Blackfoot Xtreme as modern or vintage?

Kits like the Blitzer Beetle, Stadium Thunder may have been reissued but don't feel that vintage.

Given the Lunchbox has been going again since the mid 00s is that vintage or modern? For many it's probably their modern classic having never experienced it first time round. 

The Super Clod Buster is in the same position.

I would say at this stage, the 3 Speed High Lifts and CC01s are modern classics and soon to be joined by the Konghead.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Modern classic. For me gotta be the TB01.......

I've got to agree with this. Over-engineered to a ludicrous degree, even for Tamiya, probably because of it's nitro roots. Fantastic rally chassis.

Also as I've recently discovered, a fantastic car to learn with on an indoor carpet track. Boards? What boards? Nothing bent, nothing broken, after 2 years with dopey here at the controls. :)

• Like 1

Depends whether we are refering to modern design, or modern as in timeframe. I see people here are suggesting WW2's and TA-03's, which are both approching 20ish years and counting in age, and then we have design, which a lot of Tamiya base models (MF-01X, WT-01, GF-01 etc) are all similar designs which have been the same basic layout since the late 80's/early 90's along the lines of your TL-01's.

So for me, I think XV-01's, CR-01's and the like, which are pioneering new design trends (stuff you don't expect to see) are modern and possibly destined to be classics much along the lines of say, the Avante. And then there is modern versions of older designs, a little quirky, left of centre, like the konghead, dump truck etc

Im struggling with this a bit, as the resurgence of re release means the modern classic could be the hornet , lunchbox etc.

I think classic and nostalgic go hand in hand, fond memories of hauling said car to school in your bag, just for a 10 min run around the playground after school with your mates etc (do kids even do that now?) 

Saying that, even though I've never owned one,driven one,and even seen one(!?!), the madbull might be in with a shout. Cheap enough for Santa, solid enough to be jumped,bashed and just have general fun with.

5 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

I think classic and nostalgic go hand in hand, fond memories of hauling said car to school in your bag, just for a 10 min run around the playground after school with your mates etc (do kids even do that now?) 

No, kiddies aren't allowed to be left unsupervised even for a splitsecond anymore. If you dare even blink with both eyes shut, the council workers come breaking down your door to take kiddies off you unfit negligent parents. 

Many yrs ago many ppl used to bring balls, bikes & RCs to play on school ovals. These days everybody who's not enrolled in afterschool care program is kicked out of school grounds 15mins after last bell rings. 

Lately I hear helicopter parents are now arranging formal RC playdates for their 10-12yo sons, progressing to RC-based birthday parties where you BYO RC.

(must suck if your daddy ain't into RC with a big fleet you can borrow from hehehe)

• Like 2