Sign in to follow this  
ybaryo

Figuring out pinion gear sizes

Hi everyone!

After a bunch of searching on Google and this forum, I couldn't figure out what kind of pinion/spur should I order for my soon to be TA02? I'm looking for a 25T/66T combo for a high powered b/l motor. I know Robinson Racing makes every imaginable pinion in steel, which is what I need, but I'm not sure about the pitch/bore I need.

Some places say the pinion has to be 0.4 metric, some say 48p, and others just state I need to match it to the spur.

What is correct?

Some introduction since this is my 1st post here:

I've been into cars since I was born, and a couple of months before getting my license I worked at an amateur toy/hobby store. We had some interesting 1/10 RTR and kits that we almost never sold, and some beaten up dummy TT01 to exhibit. One day I decided to ask the owner to have myself a kit and he agreed to sell it to me at what it cost him.

A few months later, I had 3 shells(LaFerrari, Z4M Racing, 997 GT3 Cup), a brushless 8.5T motor running on the lowest gearing possible on a TT-01, and lots of TT-01E and aftermarket alu hop ups too. And then I sold it.

Now, a couple of years later, having my own car and missing the whole building/driving a 1/10th scale RC car, I started searching and figured the best choice for me would be the 993 GT2 "TA02SW" by Tamiya. Now after getting some parts, although not the kit itself, I wanted to figure out what spur/pinion ratio I'm going to run. My current goal is either 4.5T or 3.5T motor, with 25/66 gearing.

I believe that the TA02 uses 0.6 Module pinion gears.. Tamiya often refers to 0.6 Module as "AV" pitch.. They should be the same gears that came in the kit of your TT-01

0.6 Module looks similar to 48dp, but the teeth are slightly larger on the 0.6 module gears, so 48dp gears will NOT fit/work...

Just to complicate matters, I have seen some (American) eBay sellers refer to 0.6 module or AV pitch gears as "Metric 48 pitch"...

Unfortunately Robinson Racing doesn't make a 25 tooth 0.6 module pinion..

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/one_eight_inch_bore_pinions.html#steel.6mod

However, it seems that RW racing make 0.6 module pinions all the way up to 30 teeth...

http://www.rwracing.co.uk/cars.html

EDIT--- I would expect that a 3.5 or 4.5 brushless motor may be a bit much for a TA02 chassis to handle, so you may be best off looking for a more modern TRF chassis (414 onwards) if you want to run a motor like that..

13 hours ago, Backlash said:

I believe that the TA02 uses 0.6 Module pinion gears.. Tamiya often refers to 0.6 Module as "AV" pitch.. They should be the same gears that came in the kit of your TT-01

0.6 Module looks similar to 48dp, but the teeth are slightly larger on the 0.6 module gears, so 48dp gears will NOT fit/work...

Just to complicate matters, I have seen some (American) eBay sellers refer to 0.6 module or AV pitch gears as "Metric 48 pitch"...

Unfortunately Robinson Racing doesn't make a 25 tooth 0.6 module pinion..

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/one_eight_inch_bore_pinions.html#steel.6mod

However, it seems that RW racing make 0.6 module pinions all the way up to 30 teeth...

http://www.rwracing.co.uk/cars.html

EDIT--- I would expect that a 3.5 or 4.5 brushless motor may be a bit much for a TA02 chassis to handle, so you may be best off looking for a more modern TRF chassis (414 onwards) if you want to run a motor like that..

Unfortunately I can't remember what kind of Pinion I ordered from Robinson back then, but I just thought about it - I am going to change the spur together anyway - why not have them match each other?

About the motor, I'm still not sure what system I'm going to put in but the general direction is an overkill. Regarding the TRF, I'm afraid it's way out of my budget. If it wasn't, is there any TRF chassis that will hold the Taisan body shell?

Thanks!

I don't think that you can change the spur in the TA02.. All you have are the options from Tamiya which are 0.6 module..

13 hours ago, Backlash said:

I don't think that you can change the spur in the TA02.. All you have are the options from Tamiya which are 0.6 module..

Okay then. Assuming I'll be going for a ~6000kv motor(haven't found a reasonable combo yet..), is there any other chassis that can hold that kind of power(I guess bearings, alu hop ups and steel pinion won't suffice?), AND carry a 993 GT2 shell?

The only reason I had to go for the old TA02SW is for the Porsche bodyshell.

Bumping

Does anyone know of a chassis that car carry the 993 GT2 shell(or even a longer chassis that can be somehow shortened)? I believe the wheelbase should be 236mm.