gizard

TRF Screws

Can you buy TRF screws to replace the self tappers on kits like DT03 TT02 etc. in bulk? if so where in the UK.

thanks

G.

1 minute ago, gizard said:

Can you buy TRF screws to replace the self tappers on kits like DT03 TT02 etc. in bulk? if so where in the UK.

thanks

G.

Meant to say these are BA5 3x10mm BA4 3x12mm and BA3 3x15mm etc. is there a specific upgrade kit etc.?

Do you mean the titanium hop up screws or the black steel hex screws?

Titanium screw sets can be bought for the TT02 S and I think the DF03 on eBay.

The black hex steel screws can be found but they are the 49*** limited edition.

ahh didn't realise there where two sorts. What I'm after is a finer thread that will stand up to being removed and replaced more often - or rather the plastic it screws into will last longer!

that's just "machine thread" vs "selftapping" thread

i replace everything to machine thread, get stainless in flathead or buttonhead

Not sure where you are gizard but I've been using RC Screwz stainless steel screw kits for my TT-02 builds.  They have kits for just about every model out there.

http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info.php/p/tam169-tamiya-tt-02-4wd-rtr-stainless-screws/products_id/4937?SID

http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info.php/p/tam176-tamiya-aqroshot-dt-03t-stainless-screw-kit/products_id/5200

07.06.2017-13.00.png

• Like 1

ah thanks unfortunately I am in the UK, but thanks for the info.

Funny this would come up, as this ad from Banggood just popped up, you know how they stalk you once you've been to their site once? Anyway, would something like this work as it has heaps, at least initially until you run out of the common ones. Or will they be made of the same cheese that Tamiya make their aluminium pinions out of, just shiny and called stainless steel?

https://www.banggood.com/Suleve-M3SSH2-M3M4M5-A2-Stainless-Steel-Hex-Allen-Socket-Button-Screws-Bolts-Assorted-Kit-270Pcs-p-1146906.html?rmmds=search

6 hours ago, gizard said:

ah thanks unfortunately I am in the UK, but thanks for the info.

SS screws I usually stock up a fair few on hand always, can't ever have too many.

M3 x 8mm (20%), 10mm (60%) & 12mm (10%) are the main staples for 1/10... a bag of 100pcs M3x10 might only cover 1 car barely 2 :)

Usually just end up buying off fleaBay, sometimes there are sellers from Sheffield England at ok prices not just China... often RoyalPost arrives quicker than ChinaPost too

i change to hex heads not Philips/pozi

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Funny this would come up, as this ad from Banggood just popped up, you know how they stalk you once you've been to their site once? Anyway, would something like this work as it has heaps, at least initially until you run out of the common ones. Or will they be made of the same cheese that Tamiya make their aluminium pinions out of, just shiny and called stainless steel?

https://www.banggood.com/Suleve-M3SSH2-M3M4M5-A2-Stainless-Steel-Hex-Allen-Socket-Button-Screws-Bolts-Assorted-Kit-270Pcs-p-1146906.html?rmmds=search

most SS hardware would be 304 to 316 rated, if you trust the rater... raw material is cheap enough, negligible 'savings' to be made trying to find subpar steel so most are usable, you shouldn't be too hamfisted with small fasteners anyway. 

T has various lightweight screws made from Alu & titanium, if you want cheesier software than their usual kit screws

Banggood set not cheap though. 

Might as well just order alacarte off fleaBay. 

I picked up 10.9 m3 steel machined screws (cap, button, flat) of all sizes for about $5-10USD per 50pcs on eBay

I spent about $50USD and got all the screws and nuts for my TXT-1 with plenty to spare for other kits.

If you need stronger screws, just look for 12.9 steel. Titanium/aluminum are nice but  not as durable. I only use those for racing instead of bashing around. 

Ended up ordering the following from the site I found above coming to just under 60 pounds which will cover my existing models (self taping screws) and then some:

100 x Nyloc Nut Type T (Thin) M3 in A2 Stainless
50 x Machine Screw Phillips Pan M2 x 8mm in A2 Stainless
50 x Machine Screw Phillips Pan M2 x 12mm in A2 Stainless
50 x Machine Screw Phillips Pan M2.5 x 10mm in A2 Stainless
50 x Socket Head Button (Dome) Screw M3 x 8mm in A2 Stainless
200 x Socket Head Button (Dome) Screw M3 x 10mm in A2 Stainless
200 x Socket Head Button (Dome) Screw M3 x 12mm in A2 Stainless
50 x Socket Head Button (Dome) Screw M3 x 16mm in A2 Stainless
20 x Socket Head Button (Dome) Screw M3 x 20mm in A2 Stainless
50 x Socket Head Button (Dome) Screw M4 x 12mm in A2 Stainless
20 x Socket Head Button Flange Screw M3 x 10mm in A2 Stainless
50 x Socket Head Countersunk Screw M3 x 8mm in A2 Stainless
50 x Socket Head Countersunk Screw M3 x 10mm in A2 Stainless
50 x Socket Head Countersunk Screw M3 x 12mm in A2 Stainless
200 x For Cheesehead Washer M3 in A2 Stainless
200 x Form A Washer M3 in A2 Stainless
200 x DIN 9021 Washer M3 in A2 Stainless

I ordered a few washers and nuts for m3 sized bolts just in case.

That's a decent starting stock. Now go buy a tacklebox to organise it all :)

M2s very rarely used, unless you're doing 3pc wheels. 

M2.5 is an oddity... T seems to use M2.6 :P

For washers I've never found anything better than genuine T items, although I've got a big choice of steel & brass/copper washers on hand so I don't useup Ts when I don't have to.

The only iconic item of hardware that cannot be replicated is T's flanged serrated nut, most common in M3 sometimes in M4. There is usually nothing better wherever it's used, a nyloc isn't comparable. This icon I've stocked up big time on genuines :D

wow this lot arrived today - impressed with the free delivery speed!