My TT02B truck build has made me a lot more interested in the high-rise thing. Please edumacate me.

Why pick a TXT? Which models use a TXT?

Thanks. 👍

The TXT-1 was the first 'TXT' but it took the axles (and, I think, gearbox) from the Juggernaut 2 which was an improvement to the Jugg 1 (the original Jugg axles had reliability issues and were updated via a 'care package')
There's also the newest variant, the Agrios which has the same axles as the Jugg2 and TXT but a new chassis

Juggernaut

Juggernaut 2

TXT-1

TXT-2 Agrios

• Like 3

@TWINSET Thank you for that. Had been meaning to dig this out for myself, but not yet gotten around to it!

• Like 1

TXT. That's an impressive bit of kit. I presume the LB and MP use the same underwear? 

22 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

TXT. That's an impressive bit of kit. I presume the LB and MP use the same underwear? 

No, apart from a few screws I doubt there's any common components

LB rear axle is similar (if not same as) Grasshopper etc.

Closest comparison shot I could find is below

Truck on left is Lunchbox, truck on right is a Clodbuster - Whilst not sharing much with the TXT, it uses the same tyres and is a similar size to a TXT

index.jpg

Here's a Clodbuster/TXT comparison

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like my learning curve has gone vertical. How would you choose between a LB and a MP.

Apparently, my collection won't be complete without one of them, and I'm selling off some of my smaller boats.

The LB and MP are the same chassis just the bodies and wheel colour are different - Deciding between them is personal preference

I prefer the MP body, never really been a fan of the one-piece chrome lump on the front of the LB

img169_16082009183302_1_1100_.jpg

3 hours ago, TWINSET said:
3 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

No, apart from a few screws I doubt there's any common components

1 hour ago, TWINSET said:

The LB and MP are the same chassis just the bodies and wheel colour are different - Deciding between them is personal preference

I prefer the MP body, never really been a fan of the one-piece chrome lump on the front of the LB

I'm a little confused now. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Looks like my learning curve has gone vertical. How would you choose between a LB and a MP.

Apparently, my collection won't be complete without one of them, and I'm selling off some of my smaller boats.

I wouldn't choose between a LB or MP, I'd go for a TXT-1 if you can find at a reasonable price, or the more readily available clod. Personal preference, but feel a Monster truck isn't a monster truck if it isn't 4wd.

This is my version of a Lunch Box ;)

img33435_792017111756_2.jpg

img33435_792017111756_3.jpg

• Like 2

Now THAT is more like an engineers model. Superb! Can you disable the four wheel steering?

I think you'll approve of my truck build when it's done.

I'm biased but the clod is a workhorse. It's got a large network support outside of Tamiya, a cultural following and with a few tweeks and a bit of creative thinking you can do alsorts. The box clod is almost a red herring as this thing cries out to be made into something it's far more natural at. It's like Tamiya designed the base truck as a joke and like old computer games, required a "hack" or "secret" to access its sweet spot

IMG_0243.JPG

Might be a while until I can afford that kind of dosh. So it really is worth the outlay?

15 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Might be a while until I can afford that kind of dosh. So it really is worth the outlay?

What the dosh on a clod? The stock truck was about 220-240 ish I think. But if you stray from the path and want to  mod, clods can run to £££ or not cost that much extra. Depends on what you've already got in your spares bin and imagination. I did spend a fair wack. A lot of that was to convert it to double lipo, double esc and double servo steering. Plus I had to buy the tools necessary for some of the engineering and spares I wanted to do to lower it. But tools are an investment and that project was just mine and I managed the outlay poorly. Most people run box clods and love them. For me I had in my minds eye a clod number 1 project and I simply couldn't stick with stock.

Is it worth it? Well it's my favourite. I look at that truck and I'm instantly in love. My family all think it whizzes all over my others ha. It's the only one where people go "blimey that's big", or "isn't it cute with those big wheels". And I know I can beach it or run it along the thick grass in a garden. I can't say if it's worth it for you. That comes from if something lights a fire inside project wise. For me i saw mod trucks on the internet and watched a lot of "risky concepts rc" on YouTube and knew I wanted a proper truck. If you're only half cocked, it can be a lot of money and leaving you feeling flat. But if you're really into them, it's worth it. I found solid axle monsters trucks with big tyres can get you a little bit hooked.

• Like 1

I had no interest until I started my Tt02b project. It already has larger wheels than I planned, all the ground clearance I can possibly engineer into it. 

Then I thought, I'll pop into the Truck forum bit and have a quick browse. Here I am chatting trucks, that wasn't on the menu this morning. I'll have to see how much my boats make, you never know what might happen. 

I spent my life in engineering, a lot of R+D in the MOD and a long spell at British Aerospace. I have a small lathe with milling attachment, any small parts i can see, I can usually duplicate. Hop ups shouldn't be a problem. I'm currently trying a billet wheel from a bit of scrap.

Oh, thanks for the advice Mr Jam, I appreciate it. 😁

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I had no interest until I started my Tt02b project. It already has larger wheels than I planned, all the ground clearance I can possibly engineer into it. 

Then I thought, I'll pop into the Truck forum bit and have a quick browse. Here I am chatting trucks, that wasn't on the menu this morning. I'll have to see how much my boats make, you never know what might happen. 

I spent my life in engineering, a lot of R+D in the MOD and a long spell at British Aerospace. I have a small lathe with milling attachment, any small parts i can see, I can usually duplicate. Hop ups shouldn't be a problem. I'm currently trying a billet wheel from a bit of scrap.

I have a tt02b! It got me back into the hobby. I decided to adopt the Donald Campbell approach. In that my tt02b was bluebird and it would go faster by stages of development until it went into orbit or destructed into oblivion along the test track. It's in the shop needing a complete rebuild but has a castle 57 in it.

I hate to pour petrol on your burning embers of interest and lead you further down a path, but with your engineering background, mod clods or any "proper" big tyre monster trucks would be like catnip to those skills ;-). 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Buggyjam said:

I have a tt02b! It got me back into the hobby. I decided to adopt the Donald Campbell approach. In that my tt02b was bluebird and it would go faster by stages of development until it went into orbit or destructed into oblivion along the test track. It's in the shop needing a complete rebuild but has a castle 57 in it.

I hate to pour petrol on your burning embers of interest and lead you further down a path, but with your engineering background, mod clods or any "proper" big tyre monster trucks would be like catnip to those skills ;-). 

Have you seen this?

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/83038-granddad-stinkys-first-custom-build/&

I was on Photobucket but I've shifted to imgur. There's an update towards the end with pics.

7 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

You can still pick up second hand clod busters on Ebay for around the £70-£90 mark, you have a much more 'engineering' background than me, and I built this from a £60 clod and some scrap aluminium, and I'd say there isn't anything on there you wouldn't be able to make.

img33435_12062010155632_9.jpg

img33435_12062010155632_3.jpg

img33435_12062010155632_5.jpg

• Like 1

I'm currently sitting at my desk using it as an anvil for my head. Not very many days ago, someone, on the danish equivalent of Craigslist, listed a Clod and a TXT-1 in the same ad - for £150. Old. Cracked tires. As I already have 2 x Clod and a Jugg2 - I didn't think I needed them. He who snoozes etc.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MadInventor said:

You can still pick up second hand clod busters on Ebay for around the £70-£90 mark, you have a much more 'engineering' background than me, and I built this from a £60 clod and some scrap aluminium, and I'd say there isn't anything on there you wouldn't be able to make.

img33435_12062010155632_9.jpg

img33435_12062010155632_3.jpg

img33435_12062010155632_5.jpg

That's a great piece of work. Is there anything left of the original?

43 minutes ago, Granddad Stinky said:

That's a great piece of work. Is there anything left of the original?

Axle/gearbox housing at least ;)

11 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

I was on Photobucket but I've shifted to imgur. There's an update towards the end with pics.

Got it, that's a cool project I like it! 

With access to machine tools and your skillset you could easily pick up a donor or pair of second hand axles and wheels with good tyres and make the rest. Crawford engineering manufacture lots of clod race style and retro chassis. Good for inspiration. Then you make your links. Clods tend to be standard 4 link running from the axles or "race link" running 2 from the top of the trans housing. Add a body and some shocks and you're there. Say £60 for donor axles/tyres, £40 for body, £40-50 for shocks and then £50 for raw materials. You could probably fab a mod clod up for less than the price of a kit that way minus the electrics.

Other outlay would depend if you wanted dual escs and steering etc, but if you've a pair of escs and spare servos already the expense would be minimal as all you've need would be some y leads, a reverser lead and to make your own mounting plates and links for the servos.

clodtalk forum is good for ideas, not just clods but all big trucks and modding.

• Like 1