Sign in to follow this  
julastray

Motor and battery for Sand Scorcher

Hello

Some time ago, I posted here the restoration of my vintage Sand Scorcher

The point is that the battery is dead and the motor broke some time ago, so I need to buy replacement

Can you recomend me some options? The battery was a Turnigy 4200mah LIPO hard case and I would like something similar but I would prefer a smaller one, even if it has less capacity.

About the motor, I had a RS-540 Torque Tuned if I am not wrong, I would like something similar, better if its cheaper.

I would appreciate any help, I am a bit lost now.

Thank you and sorry if I made some mistakes, English is not mi mother language

If you are wanting another LiPo battery, then have a look at the "Shorty" hard case LiPo's, as I understand that they will fit in the Sand Scorchers radio box.. You should also be able to use them in other cars that were designed to take the old "hump pack" style NiCd battery..

Example.. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-shorty-4200mah-2s2p-65-130c-hardcase-lipo-pack-roar-approved.html

As for a motor, I have a feeling that the newer type motors will not fit into an original Sand Scorchers gearbox.. If you have a new 540 silver can type motor, try it to see if it fits in your Scorcher gearbox before you buy something else..

1 hour ago, Backlash said:

If you are wanting another LiPo battery, then have a look at the "Shorty" hard case LiPo's, as I understand that they will fit in the Sand Scorchers radio box.. You should also be able to use them in other cars that were designed to take the old "hump pack" style NiCd battery..

Example.. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-shorty-4200mah-2s2p-65-130c-hardcase-lipo-pack-roar-approved.html

As for a motor, I have a feeling that the newer type motors will not fit into an original Sand Scorchers gearbox.. If you have a new 540 silver can type motor, try it to see if it fits in your Scorcher gearbox before you buy something else..

Thank you for the answer!

That was exactly the battery I had, but I was thinking about buying something smaller and try to fit everything inside the radio box because now I have to keep the receiver out of the box, maybe the only solution is to buy a new receiver...

About the motor, the one I had was a new Mabuchi RS-540 Torque tuned which I bought maybe two years ago and I had to made a little modificatio but at the end it fitted so I would like something like that but maybe cheaper because I dont use it a lot

I believe that the Shorty LiPo that I posted should fit across the radio box in the Scorcher just like the original "hump pack" style NiCd battery did.. 

I don't understand why you cant fit everything in the radio box with that shorty LiPo when you could fit everything in when using a hump pack NiCd.. 

Personally, I think that the SRB's are plenty fast enough with the stock 540 "silver can" motor that comes with the kit.. If you want to go a bit faster, then have a look at another Torque tuned motor or even a Sports tuned motor..

• Like 1

On 11/7/2017 at 7:17 AM, Backlash said:

I believe that the Shorty LiPo that I posted should fit across the radio box in the Scorcher just like the original "hump pack" style NiCd battery did.. 

I don't understand why you cant fit everything in the radio box with that shorty LiPo when you could fit everything in when using a hump pack NiCd.. 

Personally, I think that the SRB's are plenty fast enough with the stock 540 "silver can" motor that comes with the kit.. If you want to go a bit faster, then have a look at another Torque tuned motor or even a Sports tuned motor..

The problem I have is the receiver, is huge and I can't find a way to fit everything inside the box.

I will ho for the stándar or the Torque tuned then.

Thank you 

Your receiver should fit into the receiver compartment at the front of the radio box - the old 227 was big so most receivers should fit in there ;)

15 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Your receiver should fit into the receiver compartment at the front of the radio box - the old 227 was big so most receivers should fit in there ;)

I promise it doesnt fit...

Anyway maybe I can try a different distribution son everything would fit inside, because there is so much empty space in the box...

I think I found a way if I placer the receiver at the back of the case were the ON/OFF switcher should be.

When I receive the battery I wil try, I hope it fit

19 hours ago, julastray said:

I promise it doesnt fit...

Anyway maybe I can try a different distribution son everything would fit inside, because there is so much empty space in the box...

I think I found a way if I placer the receiver at the back of the case were the ON/OFF switcher should be.

When I receive the battery I wil try, I hope it fit

What receiver are you using?

Have you got any photos of the receiver in the car?