TheMidnight Pumpkin

What was the first RC that you ever purchased?

I started with a Revell 1/8 th scale go-kart, must have been around '83 or '84 I think. Got it as a present from my parents as we did not go on a holiday that summer. 

Few years later they got me my first Tamiya for my birthday: the iconic Wild Willy M38. Not stopped by any knowledge about maintenance or anything, I almost drove it to pieces. Then the period came where there were so much distractions from RC and it got stored.

A few years ago I re-entered the hobby as my son got interested. Since then, the collection has grown with a Reely RTR 1/10th buggy, a TT01R type E with two bodies, a Lunchbox (my son's) and a micro crawler from HK which I am currently modding to take a RC4WD 1/18 Landrover body.

And the vintage cars: they will be kept as runners because that's what they were made for, though only mildly as spare parts are scarce. Both cars now have a new 2.4GHz radio system, ESC and lipo batteries. The plan is to redo the WW, already got a repro decall set. 

Still on my wish list is a rally car, either a modified touring car chassis (like a TT01 or TT02) or a typical rally chassis (e.g. XV01). Now I have to convince my wife I "need"  them. But it will be a Tamiya, as other brands are not really my kind of thing, although I do like the RC4WD Gelande.

First one was a Traxxas Stampede when I was a kid.. Now 31, I got a Lunchbox from my Dad last Xmas and the first I bought was a Dt03 Racing Fighter. Since I have bought an original Blackfoot that's in pieces and an HPI Wheely King. 

My favorite is still the Lunchbox which regularly makes 28-30mph.

I am starting to Jones for a SCT after driving my brothers' ECX Torment 4wd. Amazing truck in a loose dirt/sand situation which is generally what we run on.

My first two hobby grade r/c's were a Clodbuster and Kyosho Raider ARR, but both were gifts. The first kit I saved for and purchased on my own was a Kyosho Big Boss.

Swapped a US1 Trucking slot car set for a Jet Hopper that had the wing broken off and had been brush painted blue. Then in '88 I bought a boomerang and porsche 959 (both in bits) for $50.

First NIB was a Lunchbox in about 91, swapped my Nissan King Cab for it at Bill Leckies RC car shop.

• Like 1

Nikko Venus, then Kyosho Big Brute, then Traxxas Blue Eagle LS!  Left (surface) RC for many years, now I'm back trying to pick up examples of the cars I wanted/liked as a kid.  Blackfoot, Monster Beetle, Clod, etc.  Have already picked up a variety of Nikko Venus/Turbo Aero, as well as Big Brutes.

Hornet that is now sold to @KEV THE REV

I never did see the attraction to them after the first drive so i monsterised it and let the kids play. 

Plenty more Tamiya after that but only about a 50% completion rate so far

TBH my first rc was an inflateable robot on a platform with wheels . You blew up the robot and then stuffed his feet into the wheeled platform . I think we had more fun using it as puchbag  :lol: , then came my Scorcher -ahh, bliss :wub:

My first RC was a DT03 after some years of mini4wd, But my first rc ever is this beauty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2017 at 2:30 PM, TeaMonster said:

My first proper rc was a grasshopper, I can remember going to the shop and drooling over the frog and salesman showing my parents how the suspension works by dropping from head height to the floor😀

My first car was a Grasshopper, too. I showed how the suspension on mine worked by driving it out of an upstairs window on to a concrete patio. Apart from the battery cover coming off, it survived the excursion completely unscathed. Despite the punishment I dished out to it before I started racing, I loved that car and I really shouldn't have sold it. By the time it got sold it was about as evolved as you could make a Grasshopper back in those days, before people started making double wishbone set-ups for the front and brushless motors were a thing.

On 7/10/2017 at 8:55 AM, moffman said:

My first RC was a thing called R101 it looked amazing but was rubbish really!

Latest in a long line, clearly.

1008987004_R101Before.jpg.6048416006c3eb75c8904994751d279c.jpg

1261601734_R101After.gif.5b5d28e27d3ae2cdc9cc295b9702c2d0.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tamiya Quick Drive Monster Beetle followed by a Tamiya Bearhawk... stuffed them both up and not being too bright back then about parts availability etc they got thrown out eventually :(

Mine was Porsche 956 in 1986 or so.  I raced a bit, but soon I moved onto the Grasshopper, and stayed off-road ever since.  Only a month ago I got my second on-road car, M06.  32 years was a long gap between two on-road cars...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vodka said:

My first RC was a DT03 after some years of mini4wd, But my first rc ever is this beauty:

Thats not RC, I had one of those, and also The Flex from Galoob.

First RC I purchased was the Astute (1990). But the money I spent was given to me. First one I purchased from my own hard-earned money was an FF01 (Renault Clio). Converted the chassis to FRP and changed all the turnbuckles. I still have the FF01 until now but with a Corolla WRC body. Unfortunately, I gave the Astute to a friend who promised to restore it. But I later learned that he sold it. Shouldn't have given that away.

The first RC car I bought was a small, full function, 1/24th scale Nikko Fiero. I wanted a Porsche 911 I had seen at KayBee toys for $60. My parents always felt RC would be some silly passing fad with me (none of my interest have ever been passing fads in 41 years but I digress) so asking for the Porsche for Christmas was out of the question. I saved and saved for a very long time. Finally the day came and I walked into the toy store ready to buy the Porsche. An employee there cautioned me that the Porsche had been, um, unreliable for other customers and steered me toward Nikko products. I wound up getting the Nikko Fiero as my father had purchased a first year '84 Fiero for his daily commuter. The Fiero was even less expensive! It never gave me any problems and made me a Nikko supporter until I graduated up to Tamiya.

• Thanks 1

The Hornet, in 1985. I have a video all about it in the YouTubed! thread lol.

Always wanted  Hornet when I was a lad, but was never able to get one.

Fast forward 10 yrs and I'm in the LHS buyng a Super Hornet. Thus began the slippery slope of RC!!!

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, berman said:

Thats not RC, I had one of those, and also The Flex from Galoob.

You are right... I did not remember well. :)

• Haha 1

First one I played with was a very tired Kyosho Eleck Peanuts (beach buggy) around 1978. 

First one I owned (bought by parents) was a used Mardave Mk4 1/8 circuit car with a Veco 19 engine & Sanwa GC2200 radio. This was also around 1978 after being taken to Lilford Park to watch the Euro Nats. 

First ones I remember actually buying brand new myself were a Kyosho Lazer ZX & a 1/12 Mardave Ministox (which I still own) but I can’t remember which came first. I raced them both in the 1990s but the Mini was by far the most successful, in my hands. 

Yes I’m old. 

Mine was a Sand Schorcher bought from Beatties in Bristol in 1981 I think!!! Followed by a Celicia ( original) and later rounded body one and a Brat. Then I strayed from the one true path, tried planes , couldn’t get the hang of them which gets expensive, then boats, still love them , then about 3 years ago I saw an advert for a Defender. That was the start of a long rapid descent into Tamiya acquisition syndrome. I think 15 models later I’m still in a downward spiral. Just ordered a re re Brat and plan next year to get an SS to complete the circle. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Busdriver said:

Mine was a Sand Schorcher bought from Beatties in Bristol in 1981 I think!!! Followed by a Celicia ( original) and later rounded body one and a Brat. Then I strayed from the one true path, tried planes , couldn’t get the hang of them which gets expensive, then boats, still love them , then about 3 years ago I saw an advert for a Defender. That was the start of a long rapid descent into Tamiya acquisition syndrome. I think 15 models later I’m still in a downward spiral. Just ordered a re re Brat and plan next year to get an SS to complete the circle. 

Those are impressive entry points into r/c and Tamiya 💥

Mine was some very modest toy grade r/c secondhand from Wealdstone market 😂