Sign in to follow this  
sansoora

540 Speed Challenge

Hello!

I'll be shocked if this hasn't been discussed before. If we raced all of the Tamiya 1/10 buggys stock i.e. as they are designed to be built (BUT ALL RUNNING 540 Silvercans), what would be the fastest?? 

I always thought that the Avante/Egress would be the quickest. However, having recently run a Stadium Raider, I'm not sure. If there are any stats out there, I would be really interested.

Thanks!

Fastest/quickest in a straight line = Hornet, probably. Tall gears, low drag, light weight.

Fastest around a track, all things being equal (same driver and conditions)... hard to say.

Oh! You said buggies...

I once had a 2wd MadCap buggy and I can say that thing on straight line was super fast in stock fashion!

I would agree on the Hornet, too. Lightweight, simple transmission, straight solid axles instead of conventional dogbones & cups = we have a winner.

The Fox comprehensively beat a Grasshopper with a 540 installed BITD, so I say the Fox is faster than a Hornet.

Carl.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I'm surprised with the Hornet. I would have thought that it would have been a 4wd buggy.

I have a Madcap but have never run it....I'm tempted now.

Are there any official speed stats?

Well, a lot is down to gearing and tire size (rollout, to be more specific). If the Hornet's the fastest in stock form, theoretically the Mad Bull should be quicker due to larger tires (assuming the gear ratio is kept the same for both buggies). 

If we're talking laptimes around a track I'd say something like a DB01RRR, or TRF201. When setup correctly, any high-end modern buggy should be able to tackle any track at decent speed, and their light weight means that the silver can doesn't have to push much around.

I have personally proven this theory with a homebuilt pan car based around an F103 front with an F104 rear pod. The thing weighs nothing (it's literally an FRP plate with bits bolted to it), has all the traction it could ever want due to foam tires, and is motivated by a silver can. 

IMG_1634.jpg

Here in F1 trim. If I change out the front wing with a bumper with two body posts on there, and take off the rear wing, it becomes a 200mm wide LWB Le Mans car. Move the rear pod forward, and replace the wide rear wheels with narrow ones and the front suspension with an F104 setup it becomes a 190mm wide TC-wheelbase car. I love having a versatile car. :D 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sansoora said:

Blimey

That's impressive. What mph can that achieve?

Dunno. A-Bit-Too-Quick-For-Its-Own-Good MPH? ;)

In terms of speed: I'm also running a TRF419 with a 17.5t brushless motor in it (geared decently for a small/medium indoor track) and it's a bit quicker than that on the long straight. Not the best comparison ever, I know, but it's the only one I've got. 

In terms of lap times it's a bit slower than aformentioned TRF, btw. What you win in straightline speed you lose in the corners. Rear wheel drive means you can't really brake as late or hard as you can with 4WD, and open wheels mean you have to run a slightly more conservative line through the bends. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amfgio2pozqa8qc/16915594_1426839787339745_3026032320931954688_n.mp4

A short video shot at our indoor track. The purple and...err..also purple Le-Mans style car is that thing, running a silver can, and it's being chased by my wife running her F104X1 with a 17.5t brushless motor. Both cars are on foam (the exact same tires to be precise), and running 2S Lipo's. 

Edited by GooneyBird
  • Like 1

The Hornet would be the quickest until the battery door opens up and you're dragging your battery.

Not when it's packing a 3S lipo. The Hornet flies with a lightweight lipo as the car weighs ridiculously little :) and the door stays shut. Even with a 2S. :)