15 minutes ago, jackdaripper said:

Thanks Man1c M0nk3y I like your dt03 build 😁

Cheers. Not quite the same level of details as this build mind! 

Definitely going to pinch the o-ring on the ball joints trick though for the DT03. 

• Like 1

On 2017-10-22 at 8:57 PM, jackdaripper said:

Did i jinx myself lol with the gpm part they look the same getuserimage.asp?t=n&id=img43481_8320177

But as you can see there's a gap between the plastic and the metal part.  This makes a gap where the diff is held in causeing it to wobble about either I got a bum part (never happened to me before  with a gpm part) that was taken out of the cnc machine to early leaveing 1mm too much on the skid plate.  Or this is a variation between the red gearbox of the ta01 or ta02 and the top force either way I can't use this as it will funk up my front gear box if i do:( even with tight screws .

getuserimage.asp?t=n&id=img43481_8320177

That GPM piece is nice, but the level of quality is so-so. Mine is equally bad. I wouldn't even attempt to run with it - I'd rather load up a few spares and simply replace the plastic part whenever it breaks. It's still pretty tough and can take a beating.

Hi there well it's been over a year since I started this build and I finally bit the bullet and fitted a slipper clutch. Thanks to Ann3x for pointing me in the right direction. I have also fabricated a rear shock brace from left over top force parts and the odd spare which I'm quite pleased with I hope it fits under the body shell as I'm yet to fit it as I'm waiting on some ceramic grease for my gear box. Lol I will explain later.

Test fitted the shell and it seems to clear ok might need a little nibble out where the bar passes the shell but nothing drastic.

Ok lets start with the brace . I wanted to construct something that would support the evo rear shock tower but useing the leftover parts from the kit  making it an easy build and not having to make a special bracket to suit. So I came up with this. Kontemax is probably due credit here as I believe I probably got the idea from his rw mantaray brace. 

You will need 

top force threaded shaft me3 @42 mmm

3 tamiya plastic 5mm  ball conectors mb8

3 tamiya 5mm ball nuts mb3

two md12 damper mounts

1x 6mm ball no thread with a plastic conector any brand will do as long as it fits over the threaded shaft but a 6mm ball works great

2x m3 screws @10mm

1x m3 screw @ 8mm

All layed out this what it should look like. (it should be noted that you won't need a washer on the 8mm screw and the 6mm ball nut and connector was swapped with a 5mm ball nut and connector) as the ball nut was too high for the shaft to pass under the body mount and the plastic connector was too short for a threaded bar ( this is a work in progress)

img43481_1020201841252_2.jpg

Here  below are the parts for the rear t bar these are all correct but missing the 6mm plastic ball connector.

img43481_1020201841252_3.jpg

Assemble like this

img43481_1020201841252_5.jpg

It should end up like this

img43481_1020201841252_6.jpg

Next put a ball nut and screw through the hole next to the rear wing mount (one either side)

img43481_1020201841252_8.jpg

And put the assembled t bar on the ball nuts like this I couldnt believe that it is an exact fit either lol :lol:.

img43481_1020201841252_9.jpg

Next put the other 4.2mm threaded shaft into the the 6mm ball conector and on the other end put a 5mm ball connector this image shows a 6mm ball connector and ball nut but im shure you get the idea (no need for the washer underneath either)img43481_1020201841252_7.jpg

Put the 8mm screw through the middle hole on the plastic brace part above the motor (you will probably need to take the motor out for this) and screw on the ball nut  and snap on the connector and your done. you may need to take a small notch out of the body shell where the body sits on the bar but its much better than buying rear shock mounts all the time due to it only being fixed on two screws . it ends up sitting like this img43481_1020201841252_11.jpg

• Like 1

The pinion slipper

Again many thanks to ann3x for the idea for this. The slipper pinion set is a carisma M40b slipper pinion set.

I have looked all over the internet for  an assembly diagram for this set and all I could find was a badly printed exploded diagram for it which is for a pre assembled car. I had put it together a different way to the final assembly but looking at how the brake pad touched the side of the spur gear while examining the gear meshing (with the top of the gear box off) I had to re assemble it heres my final procedure. resizer.aspx?uid=43481&w=1100&h=&pic=img

There is an indentation on the pinion itself which covers the bottom brake disk shown in this picture (below) I had put it at the top for the top brake disk assembly to stop it moveing around but decided it was better suited to cover the bottom disc from connecting with the spur gear   resizer.aspx?uid=43481&w=1100&h=&pic=img

The slipper pinion assembled should look like this the preliminary setting I have used was to tighten it all the way then undo the nut about half a turn so its not to tight and not too lose ideally we want it not to slip when pulling of at full throttle but slip to avoid damage to the spur or gearing resizer.aspx?uid=43481&w=1100&h=&pic=img

With the original pinion you use the tamiya plastic spacer to work out the spaceing on the motor shaft but with this pinion we cannot do this due to the different dimentions so measuring the top position of the pinion is needed a ruler would be better but I just used a bit of paper and a pen high tec lol:D

img43481_1020201841252_10.jpg

swaped with the slipper the pinion it should be in the same place  img43481_1020201841252_15.jpg

Now would have been the ideal time to realine the motor mount holes from a 19t pinion to a 20t pinion but I did not this resulted in drilling a bigger hole than I perhaps needed as it was set at the incorect setting but at least I have plenty of room around the pinion for different sized pinions and settings and for free movement of the slipper spring and  washers  away from the gear caseing lol  :lol:getuserimage.asp?t=&id=img43481_10202018

I think it is in the 20t position here now. On to the drilling I recomend takeing the gears out of the gear box for this as you dont want to get any crap in the gear box or on the gears it will be necessary to clean out the gear box after to avoid contamination of grease and gears its alot easyer than trying to cheat and block up the spur gear hole with cotton wool as you can see I tried to in the next pic and in the result is visable in some of the background of the above pic:wacko:

img43481_1020201841252_16_1100_.jpg

You can see the indentation on the gear box caseing above secured in a vice and useing safety gogles and a dust mask (you do not want to breathe this stuff in)  I started with a 2mm drill bit on a dremmel. After I drilled the pilot hole I cleared off the swarf (melted plastic) with a grey stone the kind used for sharpening knives that tapers from 10mm to a small round tip   and repeated this useing a bigger drill bit each time clearing up as I went with the dremmel stone all the way up to a 10.5 bit attached to a dewalt cordless drill its important you take your time drilling here to avoid cracking the gear box so I recomend makeing the hole bigger in stages .With the hole drilled a quick polish with the stone to clean up the hole  and make shure that none of the slipper pinion or the washers is fouling the gear box caseing   and youre done . img43481_1020201841252_17.jpg

Clean the gear box out of any debris (three times in my case) I did it three times to make sure it was free from dust etc and to avoid it mixing with the gears and grease and cause any premature ware. pop the motor and the gears back in and you can see in the pic above you should have a nice mesh between the pinion and the spur gear if you have not check the motor mount position is correct and the pinion is set at the right height. img43481_1020201841252_11.jpg WIth the gear box lid placed  back on I  noticed that the bar was fouling the bodyshell post so I cut a slight grove in the bottom so the threadded shaft passed under it without putting a kink in the part where the ball connector connects to the threaded bar.

The slipper cover

After completing the slipper pinion mod I wanted to put a cover over the newly drilled gear caseing to prevent the ingress of dust and debris into the gear box. My initial thought was to put a polycarbonate cover fixed to the motor mount screws. But That would involve taking the motor off every time I wanted to tweak the slipper so I offered up an old cigar tube bettween the screw mounts and it was a pretty good fit heres the cigar tube I usedimg43481_1020201873730_1.jpg

SO out with the dremmel dust mask and goggles and I set about cutting the domed end off.img43481_1020201873730_2.jpg I used the diamond wheel to chop it off and flattened it out useing some fine sand paper flat on the table and polished it till it was smooth here is what I ended up with img43481_1020201873730_3_1100_.jpg

I then cut a small strip of douple sided licence plate adhesive (its strong I have  had my plate on my car fixed for 6 years and it  has not fallen off yet ) and ran it along the edge of the dome and here was the result .img43481_1020201873730_4.jpg

Stuck on and it was more difficult to remove than I thought but it sticks nicely and i doubt it will fall off  without giveing it a yank img43481_1020201873730_5.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/19/2018 at 5:54 PM, jackdaripper said:

img43481_1020201841252_11.jpg

I'm sorry to say that this brace is beautiful but it will not work properly.
With a serious hit the 3 mm bar will bent, the top central uniball will go inside the shock plate hole end your shock tower mount will break.
It just needs a very little flexion to break.
The brace must be directly connected with the shock plate or your horizontal bar must be thicker, 4mm or better 5 mm.

Max

Sorry kontemax I forgot that you probably were the first to do the brace mod on your rw mantaray I have credited you in the build I am yet to test it out but I think that this is still better than nothing on the back. Perhaps it can be made to work a little better. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 3:51 PM, jackdaripper said:

Sorry kontemax I forgot that you probably were the first to do the brace mod on your rw mantaray I have credited you in the build I am yet to test it out but I think that this is still better than nothing on the back. Perhaps it can be made to work a little better. 

Hi Jack, don't worry about the mention.
As I already said you I had the same problem with this brace.
I directly screwed the brace on the shock tower for just only one reason, because my shock tower were not original and have not the inner hole.
Anyway, as you said a brace is anyway always better than no brace.

Max

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2018 at 8:39 PM, Ann3x said:

If you want a slipper you could look into a slipper pinion, I spent months fabbing a slipper for my top force then found these - so much easier!

The link for the slipper pinion used is here just click on the (slipper pinion)

Ok as kontemax has correctly pointed out the 6mm ball would pass through the hole in the shock tower at heavy impact so perhaps this will help by blocking the hole and reinforceing  the top bar on the shock tower where the wing is fixed. It is  a suspension arm  brace that lines up with the wing mount holes I (will have to dig out the card for it to identifiy who makes it etc) with the addition of 12mm screws to compensate the thickness of the plate .img43481_1020201873730_7_1100_.jpgresizer.aspx?uid=43481&w=1100&h=&pic=imgimg43481_1020201873730_6.jpg

• Like 2

I guess if you break the 3mm shaft on the brace it could be viewed as a decent sacrifice - kinda a crumple zone. Better than breaking the gearbox.

This is turning into a great build. Kudos.

• Like 1

Camlocks and more mods :D

img43481_18201931251_1.jpg

Happy new year :) a few more mods to the top force lol. I recently bought an old thundershot which had no wheels and while playing around with various wheel combos one of which being the the top force wheel set i thout id try my avante cam locks on it and they fit :) they also match the colour scheme. they are tamiya avante wheels with egress tires and schumacher (tubby) tire inserts i think they look good.I also wanted some universals for the thundershot and as the top force / manta ray stole them from it originally I descided to take them of this and put them on the thundershot . i replaced them with the yeah raceing modern equvalent the df01 and df03 universals they are both the same it was just what was available at the time .they sit well in the hubs of the top force and dont leave the universal joint as exposed as with the thundershot universals . Surpriseingly enough the thunder shot universals are not as exposed when fitted in the thundershot hubs either I found that fitted to the top force they soon became a grass collector as they sat out of the hubs so the result was win win really .

I also spotted that rc jaz had got some front and rear alloy gear box covers on ebay which looked alot more like the top force plastic ones than the blue ta01/ta02 gpm ones i had tried to fit  in previous posts  (they didnt fit ) but the jaz rider /rc jaz ones were at a reasonable price also a friend had reported a cracked front gearbox cover so i thought i would give them a go img43481_18201931251_2.jpg

They come in several different colours annodised im told i would have liked them to be silver but as that was not a option I went for black and im pleased to say they fit well . The front gear box cover has the right kick angle on it and isnt too thick a little thinner actually and the rear one looks simular to the original plastic one and also has 3 threaded holes for adding a mantaray or ta rear bumper so with them fitting and price im quite pleased . i just have to wait untill the spring now so i can get a few laps in :(

• Like 2

The manobet Tamiya Top force front shock support j10and special rear gearbox brace  which incorprates the screw that holds the rear shock tower :)img43481_327201951617_1_1100_.jpg
 I have admired manobets rc parts for a while now and admired the the top force parts he has made for other people which you may have seen around ( he has a page on facebook) .I  asked manobet if it was possible to modifiy his design for his gear box lid brace I sent him a load of drawings and emails he sent me some back :) .Then I measured the crap out of the rear gearbox moulding then drew up a diagram of the proposed part and  sent him it. this was the final proposed drawing. img43481_327201951617_7_1100_.jpg 

Being  the engineering genius that he is said yes I can make that and this is the result img43481_327201951617_2_1100_.jpgimg43481_327201951617_3_1100_.jpgI have also got his alloy j10 front tower support which is not only beautifull it fits greatimg43481_327201951617_4_1100_.jpg . I love his work and he is a really nice guy too a pleasure to work with thanks manobet :)

When I first got the special brace cover I only filed  the chamfer on the front of the lid brace  to make shure it was down as far as possible and did not hit the curved section of the gearbox caseing if it flexed  (the curved bit of plastic that envelopes the  motor) . I did find that I should have put the gear box lid screw in first and not the shock tower screw  this causes the lid brace to lift off the gear box slightly as the thread pulls the gearbox  cover and brace  towards the tower .
So basically put the gear box lid  screw in 1st.(m3 aprox 22mm)   Then the screw  from the shock tower into the lid brace  2nd( again a m3 aprox 22mm)😊 this prevents any risk of losing thread on the gear box caseing or leaveing a gap between the lid and the special brace so I probably did not need to file the tip img43481_327201951617_5_1100_.jpg

you can see the gap I filed for the curve on the left of the lid  brace. haveing done this I thought I may as well make a curve on the other end to match the curve of the plastic on the shock tower fixing this was the result.img43481_327201951617_6_1100_.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2017 at 4:36 PM, jackdaripper said:

Put it all together and this is the result 596f7ad0b64f3_DSC_0411reduced.thumb.jpg.0ed754d6671dc3555c103d7636d83682.jpg

I'm also replacing all  the brass bearings with rubber sealed ball bearings as in the picture. The manual says to secure the gear box joints with rubber cement. So I robbed some from a puncture repair kit and put some on this resulted in zero securing lol so I put some of the kit supplied ag  (only on the splined shaft) and the result was a little better 

What’s ‘ag’?

Lookin really good so far, especially with the manobet aluninum parts!:)

I have to say a big thank you for the info on the slipper pinion! I purchased 2 and put one in my Vanquish runner, as it is 20 tooth, 0,6 module. Fits perfect using the original Vanquish steel motor brace. Had to shorten the drive shaft of my 13,5t brushless motor slightly with the Dremel, but no worries on a 20€ engine. I wanted it as an "overload protection", and it perfectly did it. Drove the car in June at the Tamiya raceway track in Germany, doing jumps, tables etc.. It worked perfectly all day long. Also no loosening of the centre diff. It fits totally inside the gear box, I just cut a slight edge with a knive to avoid contact of the adjusting nut. Real sleeper mod.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, ruebiracer said:

Thanks ruebiracer im glad that you have got the pinion to work on your vanquish and it helps breed some new life into a great carB)  and of course keep it running for years to come . I have a egress and this reasures me that it will work in this too as they have the same pitched pinion and little a little less modification as they have a sealed gear box ie no cigar tube thanks for reading :D

• Like 1

Hello  all I have received and  just fitted another custom part for the top force . It's  a brace for the gear box to help keep the lid from poping up under power from the drive train its called a Large gear box brace by custom.rc.part he's a really nice guy and a pleasure to deal with and his parts are not only well made but beautifull too   :) 
He also makes a brace for the other side and a motor brace which I sadly can't use due to the slipper mod but all equally beautifull. Really pleased with the quality and design I would assume they fit the ta and other cars in this group too. I think they are available in black red blue and silver they are made to order so there may be a waiting time but you can contact him here custom.rc.part@gmail.I had to change the screws for longer ones re useing the nylock nuts but I used m3 hex head blots 18mm on the back and 22mm on the front .

img43481_821201932436_1_1100_.jpg The part fitted  img43481_821201932436_2_1100_.jpg It blends in nicely with all the other types of silver on the car and a great fit :)   img43481_821201932436_3_1100_.jpg The top  img43481_821201932436_4_1100_.jpg Under side  img43481_821201932436_5_1100_.jpg

• Like 2