Here we go again,

Some of you may remember my brushless qd Monster beetle?, there is a thread somewhere,... I missed that little car, but they are getting expensive now.

I won a qd thunder dragon by accident and the project has started.

Done bearings in the 2speed gearbox, ordered more bearings for the front wheels.

Got a steering servo squeezed in there, ordered brushless motor.

Need some help with tyres,.. need something with roughly 63mm outer diameter, I am able to use 12mm hex wheels if needed, (the mad bull hex fits the splines on the qd) so just looking for ideas.

4 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

but they are getting expensive now.

Urgh tell me about it! I got back into RC a year ago and they were already getting pricey. I swear these things have stronger gearboxes than the full size version! It wouldn't surprise me, the company that made them made a lot of the better Radio shack branded RC stuff too right up to and including that amazing mattracks Hummer that was practically hobby grade that just happened to come off an assembly line, double wishbones all round, 550 motor, excellent! Even the cheaper stuff is a work of art inside compared to modern toy stuff. I have a Radio Shack hot machine that is 4wd with a clutch and clod style solid axles front and rear, it's a bit like a 4wd version of the monster QD chassis.

There's a Radio Shack truck that is just like the QD Midnight Pumpkin, same shell and everything but it isn't designed to accept bearings so easily and the servo is hard to swap to a hobby one. Although I like converting toy grade stuff it makes sense to hold out for a QD to avoid a lot of the hassle. Like you say though, they aren't getting any cheaper.

I once read that the same factory made the Tamiya QD, Kyosho FA and Marui FD lines which is believable. I have a Kyosho Sky Bomber FA and a Marui Ninja FD. The Marui is cool because it has a central pivot on the gearbox like a DT-01 and a 380 motor!

b90y26D.jpg

Looking forward to how this goes!

I have some pics but i used to use photobucket, got to find a new host.

nz1JMDi.jpg

This is the mad bull hex, was thinking M chassis rally blocks on the back, Or do I remember reading somewhere that the M chassis tyres fit straight on these wheels?

Edited by wolfdogstinkus
add picture

Don't need hex's now!, M chassis rally block tyres came and they fit, overall diameter is slightly smaller but they fit so it's all good.

Will get some pics up soon.

Waiting for motor now.

3 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Don't need hex's now!, M chassis rally block tyres came and they fit, overall diameter is slightly smaller but they fit so it's all good.

Will get some pics up soon.

Waiting for motor now.

Good to know, look forward to next update!

Been messing about with the steering servo tonight, ordered some 3mm threaded rod and 5mm adjusters, going to make up some steering links instead of using the coat-hanger wire ones that come with it.

Rally blocks work well on front as well, might have to get two more.

Motor is coming from China, due in 2 weeks but sometimes they surprise you.

Had it running tonight but don't think its fast enough for my 5 year old, lol ( It will be soon) but he is used to a brushless mad bull.

11 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Been messing about with the steering servo tonight, ordered some 3mm threaded rod and 5mm adjusters, going to make up some steering links instead of using the coat-hanger wire ones that come with it.

Rally blocks work well on front as well, might have to get two more.

Motor is coming from China, due in 2 weeks but sometimes they surprise you.

Had it running tonight but don't think its fast enough for my 5 year old, lol ( It will be soon) but he is used to a brushless mad bull.

Making your own links definitely tightens the steering up. I think there's 1 or 2 Tamiya sports tuned 370 motors but with brushless being so cheap now I'm not sure it makes sense to hunt them down.

Got rally blocks on front now as well. :D

Waiting for M2 screws for motor mounting, and the brushless combo (should be here soon)

Will get some more pics up soon.

Full bearings fitted. (8x 1150 metal shield).

3mm steering links with 5mm adjusters.  Metal gear servo.

Tamiya Rally blocks. (Now correctly fitted after the dog ate the first instructions!!. ( Luckily it didn't get to eat the tyres, but it was still upsetting for me, as the dog got to sniff the tyres before I did.)

2.4Ghz Flysky Gt2

Hobbywing 12T 7800Kv Brushless motor!!!.

1SFg3dL.jpg

13 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Full bearings fitted. (8x 1150 metal shield).

3mm steering links with 5mm adjusters.  Metal gear servo.

Tamiya Rally blocks. (Now correctly fitted after the dog ate the first instructions!!. ( Luckily it didn't get to eat the tyres, but it was still upsetting for me, as the dog got to sniff the tyres before I did.)

2.4Ghz Flysky Gt2

Hobbywing 12T 7800Kv Brushless motor!!!.

1SFg3dL.jpg

Can't wait to see it in action. I hope to put a brushless in my Kyosho Sky Bomber 14ex soon.

And I finally think I might have secured a QD beetle!

• Like 1

Had a quick test today, have to sort the steering servo saver, it is a bit loose.

Rally blocks are a good fit, slightly smaller diameter than the originals.

Had a 2s lipo tucked in electrics box, could fit receiver in there as well but would need serious mods to get it all inside, (or maybe a smaller battery.)

BKG3ar1.jpg

Strapped an old phone on the roof and reached 20mph. I was hoping for more, maybe we can have a new category in the speed challenge? Not going to make the top ten in the rear wheel drive category. :P 

Might be worth trying some Sanyo Eneloops in the original battery compartment, they are no lipo of course but in little cars like this they can often deliver enough amps. I have a couple of brushless Nikko buggies about the same size that run off Eneloop and they seem to do fine, they draw such low current that there isn't a significant difference with lipo You could just wire it up to use 6 instead of 8. The Ikea Ladda 2450mah are rebadged Eneloop pros but cheaper.

Just a thought, obviously not worth it if you don't already have an AA charger etc.

Lol, I just strapped a 3s to the bumper and tried that, it was a lot slower with all the weight on the front, couldn't get the power down at all. :D

1 minute ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Strapped an old phone on the roof and reached 20mph. I was hoping for more, maybe we can have a new category in the speed challenge? Not going to make the top ten in the rear wheel drive category. :P 

That's not bad for a QD!

I suppose you have to consider that the wheels and gears are a lot smaller than a 1/10 scale so top speed will be lower than a 1/10 with equivalent turn motor but acceleration should be superior, if you can get the power down.

It was only a brisk walking speed before so it's a vast improvement, like a little bullet. :D

I will get the mrs to record it tomorrow hopefully, if I can find somewhere flatter than my street.

I did think about larger rear wheels, even tried the originals for a extra few mm. every little helps. lol

Looking forward to the video 😆

Btw is there an online version of the QD beetle (or any other truck variant) manual anywhere? I picked up one cheap (runner) and would like to find some bits for it.

@berman . what do you need to know? I have a picture of the gearbox internals on my quickdrive beetle thread. The only instructions in the box, tell you where to place the stickers. Hope that helps.