On 7/29/2017 at 1:37 AM, Peter_B said:

When I was investigating what servo is fitted, I did notice there was a metal plate beneath the servo, inside the tub.

Is that the brace you are talking about?

Yep, you are good. But with Clods you never know until you check. Because they are sitting as new old stock in RC shops everywhere.

On 29/07/2017 at 8:35 AM, Peter_B said:

Ah right. So I'm good there then.

That Tamiya Bracing is pretty effective, you shouldn't have problems in that area of the super clod running stock.

When giving you advice re going faster I should've clarified I don't run the chassis as is. Don't want to lead you down a garden path, Forgive me, it's been a minute and to be honest I'd forgotten. Stock chassis is a bit weak torsionally with the heavy axles at either end. Fine stock, but start going too fast over lumps and bumps and it'll prob show some issues. You'll be alright going a little bit faster but don't go mad I'd say.  I ended up mucking about with some alu framing to make it stiff. To be fair I had made it weaker by cutting holes in the floor of it. Tough as old boots now and doesn't flex at all. It seems to take a kicking and handle speed. Don't doubt it it'll prob crack somewhere at some point. Mind you at one point I half hoped it might crack so I could justify another chassis I fleetingly looked at, but it's stubbornly taken the most bizarre abuse without issue the last year so see how it goes. Chassis stock def has limitations to going faster.

@Buggyjam thanks for that.

To be fair at the moment I'm not too fussed about making it go faster. I was just really asking about mods that need to/could be done to a stock Clod to make it work properly/better.

Stuff like the servo horn mod for example.

However some of those aluminium chassis do look nice. Something about the Clodzilla II takes my fancy. But a lot of the ones I've seen don't seem to be available anymore.

Have seen some racing oriented ones but I'm not going to be racing it. Am just intrigued by the idea. An aluminium equivalent-ish of the stock chassis might be tempting.

5 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

@Buggyjam thanks for that.

To be fair at the moment I'm not too fussed about making it go faster. I was just really asking about mods that need to/could be done to a stock Clod to make it work properly/better.

Stuff like the servo horn mod for example.

However some of those aluminium chassis do look nice. Something about the Clodzilla II takes my fancy. But a lot of the ones I've seen don't seem to be available anymore.

Have seen some racing oriented ones but I'm not going to be racing it. Am just intrigued by the idea. An aluminium equivalent-ish of the stock chassis might be tempting.

Yeah the full modded clods can make up a fast truck that, for a truck handle well at speed. Low cg decent suspension, alu or carbon chassis etc. But they're actually not really clods, just use clod axles and the basic clod platform. More bespoke builds and can get pricey. You see the chassis on eBay from time to time. I got an old flashback chassis second hand. Still a few new chassis out new,  If you're not into the bespoke side there's prob cheaper out of the box options for faster solid axle trucks. I'm always curious.

id say you're doing the right thing enjoy running it stock. They're really cool bouncing about :-)

The guy I bought the Clod from got in touch earlier to ask if I was interested in a set of 8 shocks from a TXT-2 for £25 posted.

Seemed a good deal to me so I said yes.

@Peter_B

Cracking deal that, I have seen those sets go for a lot more. Nice light spring tension on those too. 

Talking of TXTs I reckon a used but mint TXT-1 or 2 off eBay for circa £200 will give you the truck performance you are hankering after plus you get the benefit of another truck that way too. 

The stock Clod does retro scale monster trucking better than anything else ever. It bounces along like it's 1987 and oil dampers do tame that a bit but vastly improve the ride. With the TXT-2 shocks you can use all 8 as well since it won't over damp/spring; so it looks awesome :D

It's designed to do a scale speed of circa 8mph (80mph 1:1 scale) so 12-15mph on 3s Lipo and Silvercans with the dampers feels really fast unless you are in a boring open field.

The TXT offers a big saving on modding as you can run a single brushless and battery and cap one motor hole off.

@Prescient good to hear the shocks are a good deal.

Had a decent run with the Clod earlier. You're right, it is very much like the monster trucks I used to see on TV as a kid.

I think I do want a TXT at some point (if somebody stops buying them all :P). I presume a TXT-2 can have TXT-1 or Clod wheels fitted to make it more monster rather than stadium truck?

I didn't know you could just run 1 motor in a TXT. That's handy as, like you said, you can easily go brushless etc.

Hopefully the TXT shocks will be here in a couple of days.

Is an aluminium horn for the steering servo worthwhile?

29 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

@Prescient

Is an aluminium horn for the steering servo worthwhile?

No need, the plastic / frp ones are fine and probably less likely to break.

You can fit TXT-1 / Clod tyres on the TXT-2 but you need the TXT-1 rims. New sets come up on eBay periodically. 

I would definitely consider getting 2 sets of these to keep in stock as they are at a really great price so £30 for all 4 is £15-20 less than I have ever managed to pay. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-TXT-1-Chrome-Plated-Wheel-Set-0555103-1-Pair-/222596133867?epid=1450784037&hash=item33d3c373eb%3Ag%3AGtAAAOSwCQZZJc-5&_trkparms=pageci%3A789588e3-7562-11e7-8807-74dbd180c002%7Cparentrq%3A951ac0de15d0ab10b5e71b92fffdca14%7Ciid%3A21

41 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

@Prescient can those wheels be fitted to a Clod?

No only a TXT due to larger lock nubs in the opposite way Clod wheels can't ideally be used on a TXT. Tyres fit though. 

They are one of those that if you ever get a TXT-2 and wish you had some or get a used TXT-1 and want to replace the rims you will be glad you have in a box somewhere.

17 hours ago, Buggyjam said:

Yeah the full modded clods can make up a fast truck that, for a truck handle well at speed. Low cg decent suspension, alu or carbon chassis etc. But they're actually not really clods, just use clod axles and the basic clod platform. More bespoke builds and can get pricey. You see the chassis on eBay from time to time. I got an old flashback chassis second hand. Still a few new chassis out new,  If you're not into the bespoke side there's prob cheaper out of the box options for faster solid axle trucks. I'm always curious.

id say you're doing the right thing enjoy running it stock. They're really cool bouncing about :-)

Here's a current picture of my modded Bullhead, and my stock Clod. I can't say one is more fun than the other. I can say they are (obviously) completely different animals. The Bullhead is a complete overkill beast. Stupid power and size, with 4WS, and locked 4WD via all steel gears, and larger diameter pulling axles. The Clod is completely stock. It bounces everywhere it goes. It like comparing apples with a chain saw. There's a connection, but not really depending on how you look at it....

IMG_20170730_224206.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheMidnight Pumpkin said:

Here's a current picture of my modded Bullhead, and my stock Clod. I can't say one is more fun than the other. I can say they are (obviously) completely different animals. The Bullhead is a complete overkill beast. Stupid power and size, with 4WS, and locked 4WD via all steel gears, and larger diameter pulling axles. The Clod is completely stock. It bounces everywhere it goes. It like comparing apples with a chain saw. There's a connection, but not really depending on how you look at it....

IMG_20170730_224206.jpg

What rims are the jumbo kings on? Are they mounted Clod axles? Are they after market tubes, or is the whole axle after market?

You can float a Clod with Jumbo Kong's on if you seal up the rims so not semi pneumatic with a thin bead of silicon sealant round the rims / tyre bead and holes....

7 hours ago, Buggyjam said:

What rims are the jumbo kings on? Are they mounted Clod axles? Are they after market tubes, or is the whole axle after market?

Depending on where you buy them, Kongs mostly come with the rims. But you can buy just the tires if you shop around. You also need offset spacer hexes to mount them.The axles are larger diameter made by Imex, in cnc cut aluminum housings. Yes they do sell the whole axles in aluminum. But some gear sets won't clear them. I kept the stock center housings on the axles to clear the steel gears, since the aluminum housings wouldn't clear. One thing you will find is that there are a giant amount of Clods parts. But not every part directly works with the other brands. So there's always a bit of trial and error.

6 hours ago, Prescient said:

You can float a Clod with Jumbo Kong's on if you seal up the rims so not semi pneumatic with a thin bead of silicon sealant round the rims / tyre bead and holes....

I floated my Bullhead back when it was stock. Well without the body. (I always hated the ugly Bullhead body.) As long as you don't hammer the throttle, it will float in water. But nailing the gas can make it flip over. I never sealed anything on it, I just set it in the water. I've never tried the Kongs. But l assume they would float better.