Hi all. I've recently painted 2 shells for my dark impact although what I've learnt I feel can be applied to most if not all lexan window masking. Although I have only painted 2 shells I found what I believe the easiest and most accurate way of getting window masking right first time.

On the first shell I cut lots of strips of tamiya masking tamiya which not only took ages but also found it wasn't particularly accurate.

On the second shell I decided a different approach using the following steps:

1)  I got myself a sheet of tamiya masking tape (part no. 87130)

2)  Cut the windows out from the bodyshell sticker kit

3)  Leaving the backing on the stickers, I rolled a small piece of regular sticky tape onto itself and sandwiched it between the backing of the window sticker and the non adhesive (yellow) side of the masking tape

4)  I then cut out around the windows using them as a template and using a scalpel 

5)  Once all 3 were cut I could remove the undamaged window stickers (if I decided to use them at a later date). I was then left with perfect fit window masks to stick on the inside of the lexan

Sadly I didn't think to take pictures of the process but if people want pics I can take some when I do my next shell. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to do the above and gave much better results.

• Like 3

^^^ Both of those methods are great.  I've also stuck wide blue 3M painter's tape on the inside of the shell and used an Xacto blade to cut against the ridges of the Lexan shell.  Works well for headlight and tail light masks most of the time too.

• Like 1

I've never tried sticking it on and cutting it after because I was always worried about either slipping with the knife or cutting too deep.