Mad Ax

Landfreeder Matte Black Special

No mention of this so far?

https://tamiyablog.com/2017/08/first-photos-of-tamiya-47361-landfreeder-matte-black-sp-painted-body-cc01/

Image shamelessly stolen from Tamiyablog:

Tamiya-47361-Landfreeder-Matte-Black-Sp.

What say you?

The Landfreeder was always a parts-bin special, but it was one of T's better ones, IMO.  A good-looking shell on the popular CC01 chassis, and rarely for a Tamiya scale truck, the drivetrain matches that of the late-80s pickups that the body closely resembles.

So does the Matte Black Special offer anything new?  Well, I guess only if you don't like painting bodies, or you're in too much of a rush to hit the trails.

I've never used Tamiya's matte finish paint on any off-roader before, and I'm not sure how it holds up to scratches and creases.  Perhaps this one is better assembled and put on a shelf for posterity?  Or given that Limited item number, maybe it's a special treat for those collectors who like owning unopened boxes.

Gotta say - I love it.  Always liked the Landfreeder, and I often regret using my shell on another project where it didn't look so good.  This latest photo makes me wish I'd not only kept it for the CC01 (still in box, unbuilt) but painted it black instead of white.  With those wheels and those low-profile tyres, I think it's a stunner.

Any thoughts?

• Like 3

Dang! I just got a regular Landfreeder yesterday. I would have held out for this one, especially since I planned to paint mine black. :(

This one also comes with chrome parts and barrel springs. I don't think the normal Landfreeder comes with those.

Based off the 89-91 era Ford F150, it's a really accurate shell.

If the Bush Devil hadn't gone with the full on late 80s early 90s fluro lycra dance video pink colour scheme, and Tamiya hadn't lost the official ford licensing off its trucks; I reckon we would have seen more variants over the years. 

I will buy that one for sure. 

1991_ford_f-150_2_dr_xlt_lariat_4wd_standard_cab_sb-pic-7738392524866978321-1600x1200.jpeg

• Like 1

apart from the silly name, its not a bad effort, Tamiya USA has priced it less than the konghead which hopefully means £150 ish?

I may look to get one of these!

I'd imagine it will be sprayed inside as normal with the flat clear on top, so durability should be fine

1 hour ago, Prescient said:

yes - the "missing" F150 from the family tree.  Only thing that doesn't look right is the extra light lenses beneath the headlights, but easily cut off if you wanted a more accurate replica.

1 hour ago, taffer said:

I'd imagine it will be sprayed inside as normal with the flat clear on top, so durability should be fine

How well does the flat clear coating stand up to punishment?  I bought some but never used it.  I usually achieve a matt finish by painting with PS paints on the outside, but it doesn't stand up to hard use for the same reason I expect the flat clear not to stand up to it.

it stands up great, after scratches its just a simple manner of doing another matt top coat (just be mindful of the chrome stickers of the landfreeder!)

2 hours ago, Prescient said:

If the Bush Devil hadn't gone with the full on late 80s early 90s fluro lycra dance video pink colour scheme, and Tamiya hadn't lost the official ford licensing off its trucks; I reckon we would have seen more variants over the years. 

I will buy that one for sure. 

1991_ford_f-150_2_dr_xlt_lariat_4wd_standard_cab_sb-pic-7738392524866978321-1600x1200.jpeg

I always thought that the Landfreeder was a late '80s, early '90s Ford Ranger.

restored5.jpg

I mean, even the gas cap location matches up. The only thing that's different are the turn indicators. On the LF they're white extra lights, and on the Ranger they're turn indicators.

• Like 2

Yup, definitely a post-facelift Ranger, and not an F-series. And some of them did come with Tamiya-worthy graphics from the factory:

92114091991405.jpg

Not a bad-looking variant of the CC01, and I do like that chassis. Not crazy about the wheels; I think 1.55" wheels would be better suited to it than 1.9s. But other than that, yeah, not bad.

• Like 1

I have to agree. The Landfreeder is based on the Ranger. The only thing it's missing is the I-beam front suspension. 

51 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Yup, definitely a post-facelift Ranger, and not an F-series. And some of them did come with Tamiya-worthy graphics from the factory:

92114091991405.jpg

Not a bad-looking variant of the CC01, and I do like that chassis. Not crazy about the wheels; I think 1.55" wheels would be better suited to it than 1.9s. But other than that, yeah, not bad.

Oh man, I can just feel the '90sness flowing off of it! Totally radical!

*turns up Aerosmith*

Man!!! Always wanted the landfreeder but never pulled the trigger... looks like I am now!

Ah, of course, it's a Ranger!  You know, up until now, I'd always thought the Ranger had always been an F-series trim option.  I didn't know they'd split it out into a smaller truck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

Ah, of course, it's a Ranger!  You know, up until now, I'd always thought the Ranger had always been an F-series trim option.  I didn't know they'd split it out into a smaller truck.

I get confused over this, I'm pretty sure I have called it a ranger before but they all look alike to me anyway, plus we only get occasional imports in the UK. 

It is confusing if you don't see them in person all the time, but yeah, a 1983+ Ranger is about half the size of an F150. Fantastic little trucks, especially with the basic slow-but-indestructible 2.3 liter four.

57 minutes ago, markbt73 said:

Fantastic little trucks, especially with the basic slow-but-indestructible 2.3 liter four.

Having owned 3 of them (two with the 2.3), I have to agree about them being fantastic little trucks. My daily driver is a '96 with the 2.3. Slow and indestructible is right. I have to turn the AC off to get up overpasses, but i'm coming up on 375k miles.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Having owned 3 of them (two with the 2.3), I have to agree about them being fantastic little trucks. My daily driver is a '96 with the 2.3. Slow and indestructible is right. I have to turn the AC off to get up overpasses, but i'm coming up on 375k miles.

I've never owned one, but I've worked two places that used them as work trucks. 2.3 automatic, loaded down with tools and ladders, was a little scary merging on to LA freeways...

6 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I've never owned one, but I've worked two places that used them as work trucks. 2.3 automatic, loaded down with tools and ladders, was a little scary merging on to LA freeways...

I can imagine. I've had mine loaded down with around 800lbs of dirt a couple times. I chose not to get on the freeway, lol.

OK, I am definitely getting one of these kits.

Already ordered a few hop-ups in anticipation:

Tamiya CC-01 Aluminum Steering Crank Full Set/BK (Square)

Tamiya CC-01 Clamp Type Aluminum Wheel Hub (84429)

Tamiya 54541 RC Truck CC-01 Aluminum Oil Shock Damper (4pcs)

Tamiya 54665 RC CC-01 Aluminum Motor Mount

and I already have ball bearings.

Now, I want to get a better quality driveshaft than stock.  There are many choices, but I like this one the most:

TTF37VF Steel Center U Joints Drive Shaft 107-142mm by Hot Racing

The telescoping range is a bit extreme, but the stock driveshaft seems to be 125-132mm, so this will definitely work.

Any recommendations or ones to stay away from (is the one I linked good quality?)  Note that I'm generally not a fan of GPM parts from past experiences so trying to avoid them for this build.

I'm curious as to why one would change out the driveshaft for the stock one? The one that comes in the kit seems pretty good from my experience so far, though I haven't had it that long.

The same driveshaft design is used in the Bruiser and Mountaineer.   It is a cheap design and very wobbly/imprecise which aids in its self-destruction over time, especially in heavier models.  Many years ago I sheared the stock universal joint in half on my Mountaineer after a while, so I avoid using the stock driveshaft whenever I can.

I ended up getting Hardened Universal Shaft for Tamiya CC01 (Junfac)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Champ85 said:

The same driveshaft design is used in the Bruiser and Mountaineer.   It is a cheap design and very wobbly/imprecise which aids in its self-destruction over time, especially in heavier models.  Many years ago I sheared the stock universal joint in half on my Mountaineer after a while, so I avoid using the stock driveshaft whenever I can.

I ended up getting Hardened Universal Shaft for Tamiya CC01 (Junfac)

Thanks for the info. When I start to see signs of wear on mine, i'll be sure to have a replacement ready. Have you ever used the Junfac driveshaft before on a previous build? I see it comes with joint grease. I'd be concerned about greasing up the driveshaft since it's pretty much going to be dragged through dirt, which the grease would collect.