Mad Ax

Landfreeder Matte Black Special

It's an '80s Ranger? This wouldn't be all we're getting in the way of a Ranger reissue would it?

I've heard people say the Ranger 150XLT shouldn't really have been on the SRB chassis. So now you've got me worried that Tamiya agree, and this is it.:o

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking truck and the CC01 seems pretty cool, but I do want my Ranger rere, or I might have to sell the cat and get a vintage one.

11 minutes ago, Fuijo said:

It's an '80s Ranger? This wouldn't be all we're getting in the way of a Ranger reissue would it?

I've heard people say the Ranger 150XLT shouldn't really have been on the SRB chassis. So now you've got me worried that Tamiya agree, and this is it.:o

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking truck and the CC01 seems pretty cool, but I do want my Ranger rere, or I might have to sell the cat and get a vintage one.

Just wanted to verify that you know that the Ford F150 Ranger and Ford Ranger are two different vehicles. The F150 Ranger was the full size truck, and later they dropped that trim line and built the mid-size pickup just called the Ford Ranger while continuing the F150 as a full size truck. So, if there's going to be a F150 Ranger reissue, this CC01 isn't it.

20 minutes ago, Kingfisher said:

Just wanted to verify that you know that the Ford F150 Ranger and Ford Ranger are two different vehicles. The F150 Ranger was the full size truck, and later they dropped that trim line and built the mid-size pickup just called the Ford Ranger while continuing the F150 as a full size truck. So, if there's going to be a F150 Ranger reissue, this CC01 isn't it.

Phew! Thanks.

No, I'm not very up on the different types of Rangers, and I get confused when the Ford badges are missing.

I remember the F150 Ranger looked taller than the Landfreeder, but then I was shorter at the time. :)

Just a moment of panic there. .....And breathe.

• Like 1

Just to add pictures to go with text.

1981 Ford F150 Ranger.

1981_flareside.jpg

Tamiya F150 Ranger XLT

dsc05084.jpg

Ford didn't add the blue oval badge to the grill until 1982, which was the same time the Ranger name was dropped from the F150 line. 1983 was the first year of the midsize truck called Ford Ranger.

The Landfreeder is based off of the 1989 - 1992 Ranger models. If you go back a page, you'll see that's already been discussed with pics showing the real truck. 

• Like 1

Mmmm! Such a nice looking truck. I want one, both the Tamiya one and the full-size one. Thanks for the pics.

Matte black looks awesome when is it coming to the uk 🇬🇧 ?

On 9/8/2017 at 9:15 AM, Kingfisher said:

Thanks for the info. When I start to see signs of wear on mine, i'll be sure to have a replacement ready. Have you ever used the Junfac driveshaft before on a previous build? I see it comes with joint grease. I'd be concerned about greasing up the driveshaft since it's pretty much going to be dragged through dirt, which the grease would collect.

Well, the CC01 is a light vehicle, so the stock driveshaft will probably last quite a while.  I just have an aversion to stock things, sometimes. :)

I've never had a Junfac branded hop-up before, but it seems to be popular enough that I figured I'd give it a try.  It was cheaper than the other one I was looking at yet seemed to be pretty well made.

Not sure if the joint grease is for the CV joints, the sliding shafts, or both, but I agree with you.  Using a dry lube would be best for the exposed CV joints/pins.  Greasing the internal splines is probably OK.

Tower now has the matte black Landfreeder for pre-order:  http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGYJM&P=7

Given that the MSRP on TamiyaUSA is less ($254) than the stock Landfreeder ($278), this is being retail priced much higher than I'd like ($220 vs $180 for the stock Landfreeder), so no pre-order from me yet.  Hopefully it drops in price, as per Tower's normal behavior, as we approach the release date.

As of early-December.  I haven't back-ordered it, but I have it on email notification.  This'll make a nice sister rig to my Bronco.  My son'll have something to drive with me on the trails.

12.04.2017-21.30.png