NielsVV

Do it all rc car

Hi,

I am looking for a 'do it all' rc car. In the weekends, me and my wife do a lot of hiking with our dog in the forest, in the countryside...
Its usual between 10 to 20km (=6 to 12mile). My wife take the dog and I my rc car to follow. I have tried this with several different cars but none of them did it hassle free.

I tried it with my :

* Holiday Buggy (Dt-02) => 2wd and far too little Ground clearance. Unable to drive through grass. My favorite buggy of all time!
* Blitzer Beetle & fav => same problems as my holiday Buggy
* Rc4WD Defender D90 => To slow and to fragile bodywork. Difficult to change batteries in the field
* Losi Dbxl-e => Batteries are to expensive to buy a lot of.

I am thinking that a CR-01 will be my ideal companion for this? I don't have any favor for a particular brand, but I like Tamiya...
Max speed I prefer is 20 to 30km/h (12 tot 20mph) and a very long runtime (lipo compatible chassis).
With the cars mentioned above, I have driven a lot of kilometers without any mechanical failure. The gears are still in great condition and runs very smooth.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Niels

I'd look at the cc-01, it's got plenty of ground clearance with 1.9 wheels and tyres, handles grass and rough ground with ease, the battery is a doddle to change in the field and will be plenty fast enough on either a silvercan motor or something like a 35t crawler motor. I'd say it's the best and most versatile chassis tamiya have ever produced. 

• Like 1

I also do a fair amount of walking and take a car with me for "exercise"

I'd agree with the CC-01 excellent for footpaths. But also have a look at the DF-01 Racing Lancer or Porsche Cayenne. I've had lots of fun and success taking my Lancer on Footpaths.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58421

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radio-control-kits-30/trucks-36500/rc-cayenne-s-transsyberia-2007-58406

• Like 1

As someone who also hikes and from experience I know that the "paths" aren't always paths, I know the CC01 is pretty popular but stock it's ground clearance isn't much more than the blitzer beetle and it's steering is crap.... if you want to go that route you'll need to spend some loot in getting it where you want it. As for the DF01....... just no..... think of it as a short armed manta ray with smaller tires. I'm going to say for you to stick with your CR01 plan it's a larger truck but can handle hiking trails much better in stock form

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NielsVV said:

I am looking for a 'do it all' rc car. 

One persons 'do it all' is different to another's :)    

For me it would be a Losi TEN SCTE running 3s and a 4 pole 4-5000kv sensored motor.  It's rock solid, can crawl but most importantly it can fly :ph34r:   I slapped the GPS on my 2.0 running a 4 pole Hobbying 4000kv, it hits 62Mph and lifts the front wheels slightly under full load.    

EDIT: Ignore my ramblings, I should have read your post properly!  Max 20-30Kmh, maybe a CC01 is what your after :) 

• Like 1

My first thought was "SCX10 II" but then I saw you have the RC4WD defender, which is kinda like a luxury version of the same thing.  There again, if the Defender is too slow and too fragile, and you don't fancy fitting a faster motor and changing for a more bash-worthy body, then the SCX10 II or the Vaterra Ascender are still good options.  The CR-01 might not be a bad buy either, although it's considered by many to be one of Tamiya's quirky over-engineered under-performing designs rather than a really capable crawler.  That said - it depends on what you want.  If you want some Tamiya joy just for walks then the CR-01 will probably do just fine.

If you want something different to what you've already got then consider an Axial Wraith or RR10, or Kyosho Twin Hammers - I've seen these at scaler meets and they are plenty faster than our SCX10s, Ascenders, CR-01s and the like, but typically tough and capable of soaking up the terrain.

CC01 has advantages in being smaller, so lighter to lug around and easier to stow when getting to your walking routes. It's also more scale, so should look prettier doing it. However it's never going to have the greatest clearance as @iluvmudsays. I'm in the process of preparing a CC01 for trail driving at the moment, assembling articulation hop ups etc. However my walks are going to be much shorter and less challenging, as they'll be aimed at a 2.5 year old participant. 

I have a CR01, and it's a fun build and a capable vehicle, it's a bit too monster truck for my liking, though your thread has made me dig it out and try a Unimog shell on it, so that might change. 

Overall I'd agree with @Mad Axon the SCX10 II option.  I was very tempted with one of those, they seem to rate very highly on other boards. Lots of hop ups, lots of customisations and lots of choices in bodies. The delay this year in obtaining them however, and the fact my chosen body (Silverado honcho) doesn't seem to be coming in to stock, has meant my attention has wandered to the CC01.

Id recommend a rock racer. A Yeti, Twin Hammers or a Rock Rey.

Half way between a crawler and a buggy and many have high/low gearings.

I have a Twin Hammers and its great, except for the battery access!

• Like 1

@NielsVV 

There can be only one......The Super Clod Buster.

You don't even need to mod it, stock is perfectly good. Not only will this go over anything including CC01s and SCX10s but on the standard silvercans with a Hobbywing Quicrun 860 ESC you can run a single 2s Lipo (7-9mph) or 3s Lipo (12-15mph) or even a standard 7.2v NiMH stick pack (6-8mph). It also looks epic. 

A 4000mAh-5000mAh battery will give you 30+ mins run time. 

• Like 4

I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but I'd avoid the CC01.  I finally sold it after trying to fix the crappy steering including trying to fit the GPM steering upgrade which never worked properly.  Even with the upgraded servo mount, there servo horn (stock) would contact the inside of the chassis.  Had a 55T motor in it and it was still fairly fast as a scale crawler.  Had my CR01 much longer and enjoyed the build more and running it more.  It's far more capable as a crawler and a trail rig IMHO.

• Like 1

Just checked and my stock DF01 Lancer, has (within a couple of mm's) the same ground clearance as my CC-01. Although the CC-01 is hopped-up to improve it's off roading. It does have shorter arms than the Manta-ray (and longer than TA-01) but geometry gives good ride height.

Granted articulation of the CC-01 will be better.

31 minutes ago, Ann3x said:

Yetis are a lot of fun, but I'd not recommend one for trail walking. Mine isn't that hot, but it's still way quicker than the 20-30 km/h target. I'm sure it would scare the bejesus out of the dog :D , it scares me sometimes in tight spaces

• Like 1

Some good suggestions, thanks for that.

I looked before to a cc-01, but there are to many upgrades necessary to make this a good and reliable car. That's why I bought the rc4wd.

What about a lunch box or a WR-02 Wild Willy 2 chassis?

6 minutes ago, NielsVV said:

I looked before to a cc-01, but there are to many upgrades necessary to make this a good and reliable car. That's why I bought the rc4wd.

They get stuck surprisingly easily on long grass and large gravely/small rocky terrain as they are quite small vehicles at 1/12 (more like 1/16) but are good fun.

Seriously from Tamiya the Super Clod is the best option.

I think the CR 01 would be a good choice, they can get over rough ground well, have a reasonable top speed, they are fun to drive and mine has been really reliable 

20170809_195444.jpg

I have both a CC01 and a CR01. The CR01 is much better if you do hikes that involve going off the beaten track whereas the CC01 is more fun at trail  scale stuff (I think it's slightly reduced capabilities make it more realistic than a lot of others). But when going really off road the CR01 is better, and with a pickup / light lexan shell it looks the part as well. I've had one since they were released, popped in a 35t and it have never broken a thing.

I also agree that the CR-01 is the truck for you. I love mine and what you describe is perfect work for the CR-01.

If " I " was to take an RC car out while trail walking, it would be my Axial SCX10.. The only problem is that my SCX10 only does a fast walking pace, so it doesn't really meet your 30Km/h speed requirement..

My second choice would be a ClodBuster.. In addition to the standard Ballraces and Steel pinion gears upgrades, the only mod that I would do is to do a servo on axle conversion..(I would also mod the battery tray to take square sided LiPo's as they are more common, but that's just me)..

My Third choice would be a Twin Detonator.. Still 4wd, Twin motor, but a little smaller and lighter than a ClodBuster.. (Again upgraded with ballraces and steel pinion gears and maybe some oil shocks)..

On the CC01.. I have a CC01 setup as a crawler, and I rarely use it.. The Axial SCX10 out performs it in every way..

4 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

Yetis are a lot of fun, but I'd not recommend one for trail walking. Mine isn't that hot, but it's still way quicker than the 20-30 km/h target. I'm sure it would scare the bejesus out of the dog :D , it scares me sometimes in tight spaces

My twin hammers with a 17t brushless on 2s does about 20 in low gear, 30 in high..... 

Exactly the range he said. Dunno about the yeti, maybe geared higher? 

5 hours ago, Prescient said:

5 hours ago, NielsVV said:

Biggest issue with Lunchbox and the like is going to be the combination of 2WD and diff. All too easy to end up with one wheel spinning in the air and the other doing nothing. If you lock the diff they do a lot better but 4wd makes better sense still.

7 hours ago, Ann3x said:

I think these are good suggestions.

I would have even said one of those Twin hammers clones like the FY03, I've been amazed with mine for the price I paid but the stock battery is puny at 1500mah and would need addressing to get good run times, mine has a 4200mah shorty pack now.

I have taken mine on hikes several times though and it really does have an "all rounder" feel to it and despite being cheap as dirt nothing has broken. I doubt it would hold up as well as a Yeti over time though but then it only cost me £34!

Anything with that crawler/buggy hybrid style should do well though, they are about as good as off roaders get besides dedicated crawlers but they have a good turn of speed too.

I've been really impressed with my wt01n amarok off road. I'm crazy right? Ha ha but seriously it's good on and off road in my opinion. It's all to do with what u want 

I did a lot of reading about the WR-01/WT-01 when considering my first RC, and very nearly bought one - it made it onto the final shortlist, and was only beaten by the Mad Bull due to cost considerations. By all accounts an excellent chassis, very tough, very versatile and significantly cheaper than a CR-01, it would be my choice as a trail companion.

Set it up with 4WD, a locked rear diff, slowed front diff, GPM towers and 95mm shocks coupled with 4WS and it has great offroad ability - I know this as I had a go with my mate's one and it was pretty unstoppable.

One of those truggy types would be good. Buggy with big wheels. Or a faster crawler. i took a clod on a walk with the misses but felt too self conscious as the path ended up full of joggers and families. It's too big to fit in a rucksack and quite heavy and awkward to carry comfortably so it was out the whole walk. Maybe one of those crawlers made faster or a truggy type. You could sneak it in and out of a backpack then :-). Only if you get self conscious like me :-)

• Like 1