Rb4276

Optima rere

So tonight i purchased one from tower. I am going to keep it stock as of now minus ordering universals for the front. Anyone who has one have any orher recommendations?

Yeah. Unless you're a genius with decals, spray it. The yellow at the back and blue in front of the rear wheels are a nightmare.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Yeah. Unless you're a genius with decals, spray it. The yellow at the back and blue in front of the rear wheels are a nightmare.

Ive read that the body and decals are really tough. I will start looking for a color to paint

• Like 1

Imalso,read on numerous boards the shocks are a problem with leaking. Can anyone confirm or give pointers?

Yeah. I did mine a few weeks ago, there is a knack!

With CVA shocks, you leave a little gap when you fill with oil, for the little rubber bellows thing.

With the red Optima shocks, do exactly the same, but....

Find a blunt object, I used a cheap biro, and sanded the "not writing end" nice and smooth.

Take the rounded thing and gently press the rubber bit down a bit further, so you get a little spurt of oil over your pinkies. Usually press down about 4-5mm. When you let go, the rubber thingy will be held in place by suction. Now screw the cap on before it can move.

It's all about the pressure difference inside the shock 

Oh, and don't screw the spring seat screw any tighter than you absolutely have to. Otherwise it'll stretch and you'll have to buy more. Aluminium collars are available at a price, or buy these. They're just the right size.

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Phobya-Hose-Clamp-Hexagonal-10-11mm-Red_33129.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4cLKBRCZmNTvyovvj-4BEiQAl_sgQh6D8180w3sqUKGQza8bAC81KGUvfk-P_ccJ1h_YlCAaApEk8P8HAQ

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

Ive read that the body and decals are really tough. I will start looking for a color to paint

Good move. Your nearest and dearest will love you for it, you can still cut out the words and numbers. 👍

Did you use the kit supplied shock oil? I heard it is very thin. I have tamiya medium and associated 30-50 weights instead. 

Tamiya yellow soft oil is around 400 cst. In my CVA's and Abismals I use 300 cst. If you compare the Kyosho 100 cst (approx 7.5 wt) it looks like water. Similarly, if you compare the holes in the damper pistons with CVAs, they are correspondingly smaller.

I did an experiment with one Kyosho Shock and Tamiya soft oil, it almost locked it up. With the shocks as per book, a drop test from 18" is perfect, as though I'd dropped it on Velcro. 

• Like 1

So i completed it last night. My left rear shock is leaking slightly and when compressed binds. The spring seems bent and doesnt fit right on the shock cylinder which is causing the rubbing, i think. Any suggestions to stop the leaking? Maybe try a little heavier oil? Associated green slime? Different O-rings?

IMG_0534.JPG

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rb4276 said:

So i completed it last night. My left rear shock is leaking slightly and when compressed binds. The spring seems bent and doesnt fit right on the shock cylinder which is causing the rubbing, i think. Any suggestions to stop the leaking? Maybe try a little heavier oil? Associated green slime? Different O-rings?

IMG_0534.JPG

That's a cool colour, that must really sparkle in the sunlight.

The only suggestion about the shocks is to make sure that the tiny gasket is seated properly. They're a real pain to get them into the groove. I'd need to see a better pic about the spring. 

(Your back wheel is on the wrong side. 🤐)

Thanks the color is tamiya metallic orange. It is very nice and something dofferent. I bet you its the last gasket i did. I had a real problem sliding it down and it was a big shock. I cant believe i did that with the rim after i seperated them. I just took it out to test it, rides really smooth and soaks up bumps. Its not that fast with the hpi 15t motor and 25t pinion but thats ok for now. Ill eventually get a brushless in it

Glad you're getting it sorted.

The 19t in mine gives a reasonable turn of speed but looks the part. If I go brushless, I'll treat it to an Orion set up but I'm not willing to risk turning it over yet. 🤷‍♂️