Sign in to follow this  
IronSights

Just bought me a Tamiya 56340 1/14 Freightliner Cascadia Evolution

So I just bought one and it will be here Tuesday.

Any suggestions?

I have owned a King Hauler before.

• Like 1

Think about adding ballraces and a 55 turn crawler motor.. ?

What about a trailer??          (You cant have a truck without a trailer....lol.)

• Like 1

and if you can aford it then the mfu is a def must and that shell can take a killer paint job also so have a think about also plus take a look on the box at the options available for it

• Like 1

Have a look around and pick a theme to go with. There must be a few fleet trucks passing through in and around your area so would be easy to replicate a 1:1 Cascadia. Just don't go with Swift, otherwise you will have to put a heap of dents in it and drive recklessly 😆

Certainly a slower motor, ball bearings, and a light and sound unit, and a trailer to go with your chosen theme. Chose what you want before you start building, you dont want to be changing things afterwards.

On 21/08/2017 at 9:30 AM, berman said:

Chose what you want before you start building, you dont want to be changing things afterwards.

This is too true - there's a host of different options for light and sound which are largely not compatible with one another.  Choose what you want based on budget and functionality - if you buy into the (expensive) Tamiya MFC then you've got buckets of plug-and-play functionality but not much scope to expand and no option to change sounds (which is a shame as the stock Tamiya sounds don't quite match any of the trucks they're supposed to fit in).  Beier and Servonaut offer more possibilities to expand later, but while they can be cheaper to get started, they can get astronomical if you keep adding functions.

Note that you can get wireless lights for the MFC - SS-Tronix aren't making their infra-red system any more but you can get an OB1 bluetooth system that works with the MFC-01 or MFC-03.  Dead simple installation, I set mine up in about 20 mins last week.

It's also a good idea to seek out a local trucking club.  They'll have lots of advice and members are usually happy to show you their installs.  You might get ideas for a colour / paint scheme too, and maybe ideas for a trailer (or a fleet of trailers).  Paint scheme and trailers go hand in hand: no point painting an urban haulage scheme and towing a logging trailer ;)  Hercules Hobby trailers are very similar to Tamiya trailers but much cheaper.  Nice build and they come with full bearings.

If you're in a club then you can drive on the club's layout, which is way more fun than going backwards and forwards in your lounge.  Because trucks are fairly impressive things, clubs often get invited to put on a display at local shows: my local club recently had a display at a local model engineering expo, and at a local full-size truck show, with free entry for all club members who are displaying/driving on the display.

There's a good summary of common multi-function options in this thread:

• Like 2