Blista

Blista's M-07 Concept Chassis Kit Build

13 hours ago, martinjpayne said:

What is the pitch of the cross brace? Will it fit on non M series touring cars?

It should be 70mm from center of the body post to the other.  It is too wide for my XV01 and fits the front of my FF03 but not the rear.  So it may be hit and miss depending on the chassis.

I would assume Tamiya body posts are all the same thickness, 6mm, but I can't say for sure either.

Hope that helps!

The Shapeways plug for the servo screw hole has arrived.  It's designed by LeafSpringMafia and only costs US$5.

It's quite an unusual feeling plastic.  It feels like it should be brittle, but it is actually flexible and strong.  Must be the grainy surface.

nyUVV6Nl.jpg

Here's the hole.  Note that one side of the plug is slightly larger than the other so install it the right way.

P5lgWy6l.jpg

I had to give it a firm push but it fits well.

EXVEmT6l.jpg

The downside to it is that it is now the lowest part of the chassis.  It sticks out about a 1mm from the chassis, which is otherwise quite flat.  You could probably sand it to give a smooth beveled edge that would be less likely to catch if you're concerned.

I'll wait and see how things work in practice but I don't see it being a problem.

2o4U1gsl.jpg

• Like 1

Nice build. I would love to have an M07 to add to the collection. I wonder how different it is to drive compared to an M03/5.

I've seen the little plug come by a couple of times here at Shapeways. Indeed it sits quite low, but specially on carpet I don't think it will be much of an issue. If you want, the material can be sanded nice and smooth. Under the grainy surface it's just solid nylon.

On 9/6/2017 at 7:44 PM, Tizer said:

Nice build. I would love to have an M07 to add to the collection. I wonder how different it is to drive compared to an M03/5.

I've seen the little plug come by a couple of times here at Shapeways. Indeed it sits quite low, but specially on carpet I don't think it will be much of an issue. If you want, the material can be sanded nice and smooth. Under the grainy surface it's just solid nylon.

Thanks.  I didn't get enough experience with my M05 before I sold it so I won't really be able to compare the two unfortunately.  I've just finished installing all the radio gear today and hopefully the rain will stop long enough for me to give the car a run this weekend.

I was browsing this site for M-07 builds after running mine for the first time this weekend.  I was surprised to have seen my chassis plug make it to this site and all the way to New Zealand.  Yes, that design is mine.  Thank you for sharing that! :D

The plug is the lowest point on the chassis, but I didn't foresee that being a problem.  The chassis should only bottom out under hard hits and if it does that often you have suspension setup issues.  You could sand it for sure, but I designed the lip to be 1mm for some strength.  If that lip was too thin the plug would just break when trying to pry it out.

I ran mine this weekend with the plug on a rough parking lot that had way more gravel than anybody realized.  We also used cones and garden hose for the track barrier.  More than once I jumped that hose.  At some point during the day the plug got knocked out.  I'm still shocked it happened because I designed it to be a very tight fit.  But my chassis got a beating.  I won't run on rough surfaces like this again and I'm sure most people don't either.  When my plug popped out pebbles got into the transmission.  One pebble stuck in the gears and chewed up the plastic.  I was able to salvage everything after cleaning it out, but I ordered spare gears in case.  It was unfortunate that I lost the plug, but it did prove to me that it is a necessary addition.

As I stated, I don't foresee the plug popping out being a common issue.  If anybody else experiences this, please let me know.

4 hours ago, JatoTheRipper said:

I was browsing this site for M-07 builds after running mine for the first time this weekend.  I was surprised to have seen my chassis plug make it to this site and all the way to New Zealand.  Yes, that design is mine.  Thank you for sharing that! :D

The plug is the lowest point on the chassis, but I didn't foresee that being a problem.  The chassis should only bottom out under hard hits and if it does that often you have suspension setup issues.  You could sand it for sure, but I designed the lip to be 1mm for some strength.  If that lip was too thin the plug would just break when trying to pry it out.

I ran mine this weekend with the plug on a rough parking lot that had way more gravel than anybody realized.  We also used cones and garden hose for the track barrier.  More than once I jumped that hose.  At some point during the day the plug got knocked out.  I'm still shocked it happened because I designed it to be a very tight fit.  But my chassis got a beating.  I won't run on rough surfaces like this again and I'm sure most people don't either.  When my plug popped out pebbles got into the transmission.  One pebble stuck in the gears and chewed up the plastic.  I was able to salvage everything after cleaning it out, but I ordered spare gears in case.  It was unfortunate that I lost the plug, but it did prove to me that it is a necessary addition.

As I stated, I don't foresee the plug popping out being a common issue.  If anybody else experiences this, please let me know.

Its a really great little part.  I haven't yet had a chance to run the M07, thanks to wet weather every weekend since I built it, but If anything I'm more confident about running the car outside thanks to the plug.  Tamiya telling people to put tape on the outside seems like a bad idea on anything but a perfect carpet track and I wasn't too happy to put tape inside either, so the plug solved that problem for me.  I had been debating filling the hole with hot glue and just removing the motor to change the pinion.  The plug is a much better idea.  :lol:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blista said:

Its a really great little part.  I haven't yet had a chance to run the M07, thanks to wet weather every weekend since I built it, but If anything I'm more confident about running the car outside thanks to the plug.  Tamiya telling people to put tape on the outside seems like a bad idea on anything but a perfect carpet track and I wasn't too happy to put tape inside either, so the plug solved that problem for me.  I had been debating filling the hole with hot glue and just removing the motor to change the pinion.  The plug is a much better idea.  :lol:

Thank you for the kind words!  I like the plug as well, but I'm biased. LOL

After running the plug and using it a bit more please feel free to give me your input.  I appreciate any feedback.

Really enjoying this thread... thanks for sharing.

Do you or anyone have experience of using Lipo batteries in the M-07?

I have just built my M-07 and I am wondering which Lipo batteries will fit - any advice or recommendations, especially web links to batteries that will definitely fit would be very welcome.

5 hours ago, Bluecat68 said:

Really enjoying this thread... thanks for sharing.

Do you or anyone have experience of using Lipo batteries in the M-07?

I have just built my M-07 and I am wondering which Lipo batteries will fit - any advice or recommendations, especially web links to batteries that will definitely fit would be very welcome.

I measured up the battery compartment dimensions:

Length measures 138mm but there's enough flexibility to squeeze in something slightly longer.

Height measures 26mm.

Width measures 47mm.

If you've got a local hobby shop just take the chassis there and ask for something that fits. Otherwise check HobbyKing as they have lots of batteries with their measurements listed.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries/rc-car-battery-packs.html

Hello all,

the M07 takes every standard 2S hardcase LiPo for cars.

e.g. http://www.efra.ws/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/2017 EFRA 2S Stick LiPo List (14-17) v2 pdf1c.pdf

also takes shorties, then you have to turn one battery holder around and a little piece of foam to fix the battery tightly.

And takes supershorties, then you turn both battery holders around and a little piece of foam to fix battery tightly.

Cheers for the battery info guys - I have ordered some from Hobbyking - will post some pics up of my M-07 soon!

• Like 1

Nice Body, BlueCat68.

Have you considered taking the fan off of the esc thus being able to place the latter on the lower deck? With this small car the max10 should be fine without a fan (I have one, too) and it would lower the cg considerably. Of course you should then check if the temperature of the esc stays bearable when heated driving occurs. It has been reported to happen ;>).

Hi, yes the esc will have to be relocated at the lower level, I was racing last night and had to just sort of get it on the track as it was - it ran well for a first attempt (I am a bad and old driver but did not break anything) picked up a few set up tips last night and I must get myself some additive for my tyres.

It's a great car - there were quite a few M-07's wizzing around last night - great fun.

Did a bit of reconfiguration of the set up, lost the fan and relocated the esc to the lower level, had to resolder just one plug and replace it at an angle (orange wire) also swapped sides with the receiver... some pics below... need to think about the oil used in the diff as the car is coming to a halt to quickly when the radio stick is released to neutral - it's not too sharp a stop but it would be better if the car coasted for a bit longer to make cornering easier - I have checked the pinion and spur and it's not too tight - there is no binding and I have checked the esc config and that seems in order (I have zero drag brake set) so I can only imagine that the diff oil is too thick? I used the oil that came with the kit and it was really thick! Any ideas of what oil to use carpet racing would be welcome...

P1040313 (Large).JPG

P1040314 (Large).JPG

P1040317 (Large).JPG

P1040318 (Large).JPG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bluecat68 said:

Any ideas of what oil to use carpet racing would be welcome...

I don't think there's many people on TC racing the M07 and mine has only been used on concrete so far.  You could try posting in the M07 thread in the general forum or the racing forum where more people might see it.  Best place to look might be the RCTech thread.  Tonnes of information there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Man1c M0nk3y said:

Great build and read. 

Keep seeing this chassis and the mk1 golf body and I’m tempted. Must resist!

Thanks.  I'm tempted to buy the Mk1 Golf myself.  Promised to buy an M06 first though!

1 hour ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Nicely detailed build thread, Blista!  Nice job!

Cheers!

Absolutely top notch build thread Blista, thank you.

This sort of  thread is absolute gold dust for beginners (it was for me when I started), it’s so well documented and being broken down by the stages is really useful.

To document the process this clearly is a great skill, and an additional workload over the top of actually building the car at the same time, so to keeping it all cool, calm and collected and ending up with a great car and a great thread - much kudos!

15 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Absolutely top notch build thread Blista, thank you.

This sort of  thread is absolute gold dust for beginners (it was for me when I started), it’s so well documented and being broken down by the stages is really useful.

To document the process this clearly is a great skill, and an additional workload over the top of actually building the car at the same time, so to keeping it all cool, calm and collected and ending up with a great car and a great thread - much kudos!

Thanks for the kind words.

So many people put time and effort into helping others and documenting their builds, I just hoped I could help someone else out too.

A good read this - I've been going through it in preparation for building the M-07 I am hoping Santa will be bringing in a few days' time...

• Like 1

Very good build thread with all the Detail pictures! M07 is just a joy to build, quite as an TB03 R with the carbon reinforced plastics. :) It really drives like a small FF03, it is definitely fun, fun, fun. O.k., I am addicted to Mini racing, so I am not the reference Driver.:lol: Really appreciate seeing more M07 on TC, they are so cool and well equipped right out of the box. And a perfect beginner´s car, even for kids.  I race mine now for 2 seasons, and everything is still fine. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

A good read this - I've been going through it in preparation for building the M-07 I am hoping Santa will be bringing in a few days' time...

Thanks.  I'm sure you'll be very happy with Santa.  It's a great little kit.

4 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Very good build thread with all the Detail pictures! M07 is just a joy to build, quite as an TB03 R with the carbon reinforced plastics. :) It really drives like a small FF03, it is definitely fun, fun, fun. O.k., I am addicted to Mini racing, so I am not the reference Driver.:lol: Really appreciate seeing more M07 on TC, they are so cool and well equipped right out of the box. And a perfect beginner´s car, even for kids.  I race mine now for 2 seasons, and everything is still fine. 

I really like my M07 too.  Such a fun build and it drives well too.  I expected to update this build thread with adding hop-ups but it works so well in stock setup I haven't needed any, although I haven't entered any races with it of course.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Blista said:

I don't think there's many people on TC racing the M07 and mine has only been used on concrete so far.  You could try posting in the M07 thread in the general forum or the racing forum where more people might see it.  Best place to look might be the RCTech thread.  Tonnes of information there.

Totally right, not many here. But RC Tech also went down the last year. Many complain, that a lot of guys moved to Facebook instead. But as im not a member there, I cannot check what is going on there. But feel free to PM me about setup problems, I got some experience after 2 years running the M07, and I have an M06, too. Compared also my M05 Pro V2 in the beginning with same spec on the track to my M07, to really get an Impression myself about the differences. And some of my race buddies tested out many hop-ups, just to return in the end to nearly kit spec.  I changed to aluminum 3 Racing knuckles for durability in crashes, they are cheap on rc mart, black and reliable. TRF dampers I moved on from my M05. From the batteryside, we have an 18€ Lipo (Zippy 4000 flightmax) as spec together with the Carson dragster 3 16t brushless Combo, which worked the last year without flaws, even in a wet race. For the diffoil I think the 100.000 kit filling is very good for carpet racing, outdoors I also built me a second diff with 50.000 oil, depending on the layout of the tracks.

Here 2 pics of my M07, hope Blista doesn´t mind posting it here: 

IMG_20181125_112830.jpg

IMG_20181125_112842.jpg

• Like 3