Sign in to follow this  
Tamiyabigstuff

1/14 trailer with 40ft container - painting

Just wondering if anyone has built one of the Maersk or NYK 40ft containers ?

How many cans of Tamiya TS paint are needed to paint the container ?

1 hour ago, Ad Lav said:

Many cans I should think!

Photos! :)

'Many' cans is what I was thinking / fearing too :o - those 100ml can don't go far on large models :(

I was considering having a look for some aerosol car paint is as near a colour match as I can find to the proper Tamiya colour to use as a base and then just topcoat with the Tamiya paint.

£6 - £7 for 100ml of T paint vs £6 or £7 for 300ml - 400ml car paint.

Need to find another pic hosting site due to PB wanting money...

Pretty sure I used four, and one and a half cans of flat clear and two cans of primer. I could be wrong though. That was outside only. The tractor and skeleton were what made me broke though 😳

• Like 1

i have stopped useing tamiya paint in in favour for a 400ml can for rufly £10 to £12 a can + del . 

i used one can on my mec truck and got 2 coats out of it but i did paint all the plastics so in my eyes that works out cheaper than buying tamiya cans.IMG_20170705_163858.thumb.jpg.e31975f3c52902c1b8fa4cf043b8d589.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, topforcein said:

i have stopped useing tamiya paint in in favour for a 400ml can for rufly £10 to £12 a can + del . 

i used one can on my mec truck and got 2 coats out of it but i did paint all the plastics so in my eyes that works out cheaper than buying tamiya cans.IMG_20170705_163858.thumb.jpg.e31975f3c52902c1b8fa4cf043b8d589.jpg

Looks very nice !

Agree - T paints are a bit pricey - especially for the larger models where 'many' cans are needed.

I'm going to take a few T spray can caps along to Halfords or similar & see if I can get some close matches.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tamiyabigstuff said:

Looks very nice !

Agree - T paints are a bit pricey - especially for the larger models where 'many' cans are needed.

I'm going to take a few T spray can caps along to Halfords or similar & see if I can get some close matches.

thanks very much i love the colour and the wife does also and my phone camera don't do the true colour any justice at all.

tbh go and look at the site where i got my paint from the prices are cheap i  even used them for the paint on my pontiac shell and it was still cheaper as i used flip paint and at £11 for a 400 ml can that is cheap esp compared to the tamiya flip paint one that come out around a tenna.  

Well, having done a bit of research, the TS-15 paint for the container has been found to be an almost identical match for Ford Rimini blue.