Wooders28

Modernise an Ultima

I'm planning on modernising a classic Ultima and had a quick look on Google images for ideas and this popped up

4e965faf25265baa94b7343b3e08bce0--slot-c

Looks to be from a build thread @SHY69 has done! 👍

Any more info on it mate, ie shocks and roll bars ? 

Also, has anyone had any luck with rit dye, I've a set of (pink) sandmaster wheels I could try, as I'm not sure I'd want to try the nip Ultima wheels!! 

*Edit* Having a further dig about, the , Kyosho Ultima Special,credit goes to @Dante77 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=100401

Annoyingly ,the parts list is alot of stuff I've sold on and seemingly hard to find! 😯

That looks pretty nice, I'd also look at the turbo ultima and the Ultima Pro, for any other vintage upgrades. The rear motor guard is a good idea if you can find one, as it helps prevent the pinion mesh being squeezed tight should you reverse into anything, and the Ultima Pro shock towers allow you to use longer travel shock absorbers. I also seems to remember there being a carbon fibre / FRP top deck available, which was a lot stronger than the stock item, which had a tendency to disintegrate when a head on impact occurred.

• Like 1

I've a box of Ultima bits I've collected over the years, but I do prefer the original, although I'm going to try and go for Ultima pro front tyres (cant remember the part number) and Schumacher rears, better grip on carpet, without spoiling the vintage look with aweful 2.2" 

Yeah, the top deck always used to break at the slightest nudge, when the chassis bent up,I've seen an aluminium one on eBay that maybe worth a punt.

Wondering if shooting for RB5 /6 shocks and get them re anodized, would.be an option, cost depending though.

Want to try and get the lipo as far forward as possible, maybe run the steering servo at the rear of the car, already got a pinion slipper to get to fit and a 6.5t brushless, should give it some good legs without backflips! 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Granddad Stinky said:

Following with great interest! 😁

Don't follow to closely, projects have been known to suddenly stop dead! 😂

@Granddad Stinky , what are the new shocks on the re re optima like for actual shockness? Worth £70 a set?? (If you can find them). I want the Ultima to see track time, so need shocks that look right as well as work right. For that price I can get Schumacher or rb6 ones and try and get them anodized.

They are very well made and work at the correct end of the damping spectrum, thin oil and small damper holes. The damper plates are thick ones like Absimas and I would say they fit the bores a bit better than proper CVAs. If the aftermarket kit is the same as the car kit, you get a good selection of different bits to tune them.

However, if you were to ask me if they're worth the money, I'd put them on, just because they're Kyosho and I'm a fan.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback.

The trouble I have is ,£70 is alot of money, and, are they going to be as good as rb5 or rb6 ones?. As you know, I've an rb5 I could borrow shocks (and other bits 🤔) from and there's some rb6 fronts (maybe to be used as rears?) on eBay for £15 ish which I would then still be faithful to the kyosho/Ultima roots too.

Link to shocks 

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/262354/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlbjCjf6D1gIVjZztCh30ZQ6CEAQYASABEgIOrPD_BwE

Forgot to add, the original shocks that are on it are actually mint, taken many Ultima and raider purchases to get a full set and without broken collars! 

Just for modernising reasons I'd want replacements. 

Wondering now if I could nail an RB5 gearbox onto the original chassis, that would solve the slipper , gearbox strength issue.....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Forgot to add, the original shocks that are on it are actually mint, taken many Ultima and raider purchases to get a full set and without broken collars! 

Just for modernising reasons I'd want replacements. 

Wondering now if I could nail an RB5 gearbox onto the original chassis, that would solve the slipper , gearbox strength issue.....

What's wrong with gaffer tape?

• Haha 1

Managed to get a bit of time in work and happened to have bits and bobs in the boot so....

First tried the front Schumacher big bore shocks on the rear,

20170913_190955.jpg

Not bad tbh,

On the front, not so good, very little actual suspension travel (but looking at the 'Ultima special' above, that's not alot either) 

20170913_191532.jpg

Pulled a front shock from the RB5, tried on the rear, 

20170913_191459.jpg

Looks like we have a winner, anodized red and black springs and that would look the business 👍

On the front, same story as the Schumacher's 

20170913_191147.jpg

20170913_191922.jpg

Just to show how times have changed, a more modern (RB5 is actually an old chassis now!) buggy front shock, is bigger than an old rear shock!

Think I will dig out the spare shocks I've got for a Schumacher fusion and see how they fair.

Next, RB5 gearbox, surely that'll fit?

20170913_194856.jpg

Maybe? May need to modify the shock tower to slot the front of the gearbox support in, but the gearbox won't move all the way forward as the motor hits the rear axle stopper plate.

20170913_194938.jpg

Meaning the driveshafts aren't the best angle.

20170913_194845.jpg

Not sure what to do re gearbox, still the slipper pinion and stock gearbox option or raise the RB5 gearbox 🤔

32 minutes ago, Champ85 said:

If you want to run modern front 12mm hex wheels and 2.2 tires

Oh, no no no no no

Personally I think the 2.2" are just wrong on a vintage and spoil the classic look, maybe I'm just not with the donk style! 🙄😁

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Champ85 said:

But at some point, you're just making an RB5 out of parts. :)

I plan on using as little as possible off the RB5, but not sure how much the stock gearbox will take, and would really like a slipper to stop the back flips with a 6.5t brushless motor, so there's the slipper pinion, but with only a small contact patch, my prove to be problematic! 

• Like 1

Following this with interest. Whats the endgame for the car? A shelfer or will you race it? And a 6.5T motor? Guys here run those in 4wd mod and they are mental. Or is there a wheelstand class in Scotland or something?!

• Haha 1

I want to race it, how comparative it'll be, I don't know, I'm not one just to have it look pretty on the shelf! 

Saying that, if it was full blown I want to win, I'd put longer arms on and 2.2" to get the benefit of fresh rubber, but that'll ruin it.

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

is there a wheelstand class in Scotland or something?!

Its what ive got in my toy box! 🙄

I'm hoping I can get the RB5 box nailed on somehow, which will give me the slipper and ball diff, plus if i can get the weight further forward, I've a fighting chance of not shooting to the moon 🚀

• Like 1

Can you get a spacer plate under the gearbox to raise the unit and motor up enough for clearance ?

Not exactly ideal moving centre of gravity upwards but if it means going forward 15mm then it might be a price worth paying.

• Like 1

That's an option,and as the RB5 box isn't flat at the bottom, maybe a good one. I may trim a bit off the wishbone to enable that to move back a bit too, reduce the strength a bit though, but I'm sure I've seen aluminium arms somewhere, which painted/anodized black may work.

Kind of drifting away from originality, but these arrived today, hoping to test fit soon.

20170926_164653.jpg

(Plus a replacement shock tower for the mid custom)

• Like 2

Managed to have a rummage through the loft, looking like I have more Ultima stock than I remember, result! 😁

20170927_150302.jpg

Bit of progress!

Found a servo horn with the lug in the correct orientation, to enable a low pro servo to sit width way, need to cut the lugs off and use servo/ reg plate tape to hold it in position, going to use the RB5 linkage.

20170929_230144.jpg

Got the new carbon shock towers fitted, and tried the Schumacher big bore shocks, and I don't know what you guys think, but i dont like them,(look wise, fantastic shocks though)

20170929_235647.jpg

I think the RB5 shocks look more at home? (Need anodized cherry red though)

20170930_002649.jpg

One downside of the (ultima pro) carbon towers, is too much neg camber, so I'm going to have to either drill a hole on the shock tower further in, or fit adjustable turnbuckle.

20170930_002736.jpg

Decided to go for the spacer option, to lift the RB5 gearbox slightly, to get it to not obstruct anything and looking for something suitable 🤔

20170930_015046.jpg

So I quick chop, and the original (actually a new spare), gearbox plate from the RB5 is getting utilised, it'll sit flat and gives a template for bolt holes too! 👍

20170930_015101.jpg

Wth a little modification to the shock mount,

20170930_022438.jpg

Plus a few new holes in the chassis 

20170930_035329.jpg

It fits!!! 👍😀😎

20170930_035342.jpg

With the driveshafts lining up much better,

20170930_035310.jpg

The only issue, is that , with the RB5 gearbox being thinner, the driveshafts are too short, and fall out, 😔

So, out of interest, tried the RB5 ones, they fit!??! 😎 

(Need to get a spacer to move the UJ in board to stop it catching, but thatll be enough to take the slack out too) 

20170930_045048.jpg

Sitting low at the rear, I'm hoping that's because of no radio gear or lipo fitted, something that can be sorted out later.

20170930_045105.jpg

So that's were I am upto.

A modernised Ultima, or a retro-fied RB5????? 🤔

• Like 2

Managed to get a bit of a chance to get a servo and elecs nailed in , slipper set and take it for a spin! 😁

Need to fettle the servo position and re think the linkage, but I'm happy,she's alive!! 

• Like 2

Hard to say whether thats a modernise early one or retro rb5...looks quick tho! I like the old style too, so definitely an improved rb5 if it counts as rb5

• Thanks 1