SazzF

Konghead - Stiff gearbox

I've put the gearbox together on my Konghead and with a dry run, with none of the supplied Tamiya grease, it turned over fine.  Now all of the gears are greased there is an awful lot of friction. I was careful applying the grease, making sure i didnt apply too much.

Anybody else come across this problem?

I was wondering about removing all the supplied grease and trying the Tamiya ceramic grease which appears less viscous? Any thoughts on this?

Appreciate any help 😀

When I manually turned the outdrives once mine was together, I thought they were tough to turn (my 9 year old built it so I would check things after every couple of steps). I double checked screw tightness, etc. After the tires were on and everything was together and running, I wasn't worried any longer. There are a lot of gears so I just chalked it up to that.

Aye, grease is sticky stuff, and the more gears there are, the more this stickiness will affect the drivetrain. And the Konghead isn't exactly short on gears!

Once you run it and most of it flings off I am sure it will free up.

yes should run in ok

I always use Tamiya ceramic grease, applied using a toothpick to get a nice thin layer in-between the gears, it took ages on the Kong!

gearbox loosened up on first run