Delayar

Vanquish restored

Hi!

I want to present my restoration project. I had a Vanquish when I was a teenager (I think I got it at Christmas in 1989), but sold it a few years later and took a long break from RC cars.

In 2010, I bought a Tamiya Desert Gator to bash around in my graden. In a fit of nostalgia, I decided to buy an  old vanquish off eBay. When I received it, it was in a poor condition, but It was more or less complete and it did run. The body was seriously beaten up. But it was completely ball raced.

The first thing I did was to disassemble the whole car, clean the parts, order spares for the missing parts (like the front bumper), slap in an ESC and put it back together. However, the motor died after the first tests, so I bought a cheap motor.

To my regret, i didn't take pictures of how it looked like in the beginning, but here you can see the chassis of the first rebuild. The TBG body hadn't arrived yet, the wing is still the original one

Vanquish_1st_rebuild.jpg

I used the car as arunner, to bash around. The cheap motor died soon after, and i bought another one, replacing the tires with pin spike tires from the Egress.

The bodyshell remained without stickers. At that time, the TBG body set only included an Avante-style wing.

Vanquish_runner_01.jpg

Vanquish_runner_02.jpg

Vanquish_runner_03.jpg

It was great fun to run it, but then, 2 years ago, I had a crash where the front damper stay had acrack and got bent a little bit. I then realized how expensive spares had become and decided to restore the Vanquish as good as it gets to original specs and retire it.

I bought another TBG body (now with correct vanquish wing), MCI repro decals, new rims and correct tires (which were available thanks to the Super Shot re-release) and rebuilt it again. The silvercan is from the Desert Gator (which now has a BL motor), and I also mounted the original MSC.

I left the ball bearings, wheras the kit came with many metal and plastic bearings. I glued the front damper stay, because aspare would have been too expensive.

And here is my shelf queen Vanquish:

Vanquish_01.jpg

Vanquish_02.jpg

Vanquish_03.jpg

Vanquish_04.jpg

Vanquish_05.jpg

Vanquish_06.jpg

Vanquish_07.jpg

Vanquish_08.jpg

I still hope tamiya will re-release this nice buggy someday, so that I can run it again. In the meanwhile, I have my Desert Gator and a re-release Bigwig.

Cheers,

Markus

• Like 11

Nice one !

I had very much the same experiencd with my vanquish... bought it cheap and bashed up .... got it running....had fun and now it sits proudly on the shelf next to my egress and avante 2001. The vanquish is my favorite 4wd buggy for looks, it just looks so fast !

Hi!

I would like to run it again, because I really liked it. However, the other variants, like the Avante or Egress re-releases, are too expensive for me. I don't need the carbon fiber parts (although they look really good)

Markus

LOVE these, reckon they look better than the Avante, well done you. Would love one...

Brilliantly restored looks beautiful;) I think IMO the whole series of these buggies (avante, egress, vanquish and the re-re's etc) are all beautiful and way way ahead of there time and all of them should be re-released so the younger can enjoy them aswell as the likes of you can keep your prized original but have one to use:)!