StrokerBoy

Tamiya Honda Gyro (Dancing Rider)

It's quirky, it's Tamiya, I'm getting one, end of.

Disclaimer - unless it's more than £100!

Fusion hobbies in the UK its £99 before discount, so ok price, i'll be getting one! :D

On 10/11/2017 at 12:20 PM, GooneyBird said:

And that probably means the EU will have an ESC as well. Where did you get this information from?

Same here! They look like so much fun. Heck, I might toss one + cheap radio in the back of the work van, so I can take my Willy out in public and show it to everyone. (*snicker*) :D

It was from TamiyaUK on their Twitter / fb feed 

I'm guessing a little 2s lipo would work without being too powerful for the electronics.

You could make you own too, the Tamiya pack is just two tube type cells in shrinkwrap with a balance lead. They were even kind enough to tell us the brand of the cells.

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1208601-a123-systems-18650-lifepo4-1200mah-high-discharge

Slightly cheaper!

They look like even more fun at speed! A race series of these things would be fantastic, as the custom racing colour schemes that would ensue.

If you told me Tamiya had a 3-wheeled 1:8 scale offering coming out, I would have gotten all excited about the B2B Racing Sidecar :P

Ooh, thanks for that manual.  

Looking at the manual, a couple things stand out. 

1) Interesting differential, I wonder what's holding the planetary gears in place. The Planetary gears will want to spread apart. But no pins to hold them in place.  I guess the diff case has to hold them.  Since the tread is narrow, it may work.  Also there is no bolt holding two plates together either.  The gearbox would have to hold them together.  Definitely not a heavy-duty design. 

diff.jpg.7d3cd246f0fae452adcceac4f83035e7.jpg

2) Front forks have caster backwards, because the forks are not turning but the whole body leans.  I had hoped that there was some linkage that turned the forks and leaned the body also.  This explains the weird body-falling-first, then turning thing.  

There is a weak spring that allows some rotation, probably to absorb some road bump while leaning, rather than assisting the steering in some active way.  

fork.thumb.jpg.e36e9997b3b8bade6670f1f9b96ed16d.jpg

3) There are dog-bones inside the rigid axle!  Why make dog bones at all?  Shaft and pin like Grasshopper would have been simpler (and stronger).  Does Tamiya plan on some other vehicle with similar design?  Perhaps Tamiya might make an off-road version next and maybe that will have proper dog bones?  (But the drive cups sit too deep for the gearbox to be useful for anything other than a rigid axle...) 

4) The worst part is that the other end of the dog bone is just a metal shaft going into a plastic sleeve.  I doubt that it could take the power of a 540 motor (if upgradable).  Even with a 370 motor, I wonder if "B6" would last... I am very curious as to why there is such a fail-prone design, when there is proper metal cup they could use (even at the extra cost of a couple more dollars).  Some Tamtech has proper universals. 

I am an avid Tamiya fan.  I like the trike idea, and it looks good.  Maybe I'll wait for a used one years down the road...

5a32b9a980687_dogbone2.thumb.jpg.a09ed642ccfb39a095e3227235e3e35e.jpg

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

More kits coming?

There's a separate manual for the bodyshell, that suggests the chassis will be used again :)

The bearings sure are interesting. I've never seen them on a sprue. I wonder what size they are, and if you could stuff ball bearings in there?

Schermafbeelding 2017-12-15 om 10.05.37.png

sizes are mentioned in a comment on tamiyablog apparently

here's a screenshot

needs confirming by others as well before we all start buying!

wp_ss_20171215_0001.png

• Like 2

I got one today, however the parts for using AA batteries (D part and its components, I think) are not included. I guess that parts seem to be available only in Japan.
As for the sizes of bearings, now I asked it the shop I bought the kit from. I'm waiting for their answer.
Anyway, hard to believe Tamiya didn't write the sizes on the manual. I'm curious if any other reason is there about the missing.:unsure:

3 hours ago, gpgp01 said:

I got one today, however the parts for using AA batteries (D part and its components, I think) are not included. I guess that parts seem to be available only in Japan.
As for the sizes of bearings, now I asked it the shop I bought the kit from. I'm waiting for their answer.
Anyway, hard to believe Tamiya didn't write the sizes on the manual. I'm curious if any other reason is there about the missing.:unsure:

Sweet! Congrats!

Could you measure the size of the bushings on the G-sprue, just to confirm the measurements of the ball bearings needed?

On 14.12.2017 at 7:42 PM, Juggular said:

Ooh, thanks for that manual.  

Looking at the manual, a couple things stand out. 

1) Interesting differential, I wonder what's holding the planetary gears in place. The Planetary gears will want to spread apart. But no pins to hold them in place.  I guess the diff case has to hold them.  Since the tread is narrow, it may work.  Also there is no bolt holding two plates together either.  The gearbox would have to hold them together.  Definitely not a heavy-duty design. 

diff.jpg.7d3cd246f0fae452adcceac4f83035e7.jpg

2) Front forks have caster backwards, because the forks are not turning but the whole body leans.  I had hoped that there was some linkage that turned the forks and leaned the body also.  This explains the weird body-falling-first, then turning thing.  

There is a weak spring that allows some rotation, probably to absorb some road bump while leaning, rather than assisting the steering in some active way.  

fork.thumb.jpg.e36e9997b3b8bade6670f1f9b96ed16d.jpg

3) There are dog-bones inside the rigid axle!  Why make dog bones at all?  Shaft and pin like Grasshopper would have been simpler (and stronger).  Does Tamiya plan on some other vehicle with similar design?  Perhaps Tamiya might make an off-road version next and maybe that will have proper dog bones?  (But the drive cups sit too deep for the gearbox to be useful for anything other than a rigid axle...) 

4) The worst part is that the other end of the dog bone is just a metal shaft going into a plastic sleeve.  I doubt that it could take the power of a 540 motor (if upgradable).  Even with a 370 motor, I wonder if "B6" would last... I am very curious as to why there is such a fail-prone design, when there is proper metal cup they could use (even at the extra cost of a couple more dollars).  Some Tamtech has proper universals. 

I am an avid Tamiya fan.  I like the trike idea, and it looks good.  Maybe I'll wait for a used one years down the road...

5a32b9a980687_dogbone2.thumb.jpg.a09ed642ccfb39a095e3227235e3e35e.jpg

Hello all,

I think the reason for the unusual design of the rear axle is that the TS-03's gearbox internal parts may be a reuse of the star-unit cars. Also there is the kit number in a row with the star-unit cars and ther is a sticker on Willys helmet that says Star-unit.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/starunit/kit57401.htm

I have not found a Star-unit manual until now to validate my guesses, so maybe a member of TC can have a look into one of those manuals.

• Like 2

i downloaded a star unit manual, not easy to get, kits not really available in uk, I'll take a look

the gear differential, motor, pinion and counter/spur is the same, as are the g bushings...

The star unit kit comes with gearbox pre-assembled, at the end of the manual tamiya has in brackets listed the bearing sizes....as follows

G1 = 1280

G2 = 1060

G3 = 630

3 hours ago, GooneyBird said:

Sweet! Congrats!

Could you measure the size of the bushings on the G-sprue, just to confirm the measurements of the ball bearings needed?

Thank you!

I received the answer message from the shop, also talked with them about it.

The ball bearings for this kit.

1280 (outer 12mm, inner 8mm, width 3.5mm) x2(quantity)
1060 (outer 10mm, inner 6mm, width 3mm) x8
630 (outer 6mm, inner 3mm, width 2.5mm) x4

I hope it helps.:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, a.w.k. said:

I think the reason for the unusual design of the rear axle is that the TS-03's gearbox internal parts may be a reuse of the star-unit cars.

Wow, another thing I learned today!  I had no idea star-unit cars existed.  I guess they are a step down (or replacement) of Tamtech cars?  

20 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Wow, another thing I learned today!  I had no idea star-unit cars existed.  I guess they are a step down (or replacement) of Tamtech cars?  

I think they're more meant as a step up from the Tamiya Mini 4WD cars. Sort of RC versions of those.

6.jpeg

Interestingly enough, on Tamiya Japan's Star Unit page, the Dancing Rider is mentioned in the same line-up.

• Like 1