Sign in to follow this  
El Dougo

419x and 13.5t blinky gearing help

I'm going 13.5T blinky racing with the shiny thing and need some advise on what size spurs and pinions would be worth having at my disposal.  It's a small black carpet track and you can run with any rubber tyres, they also race 17.5t in the same heats and apparently there is little difference in lap times!

I have a metal chassis and different top deck that came with the 419x which is supposedly better for high grip surfaces, is it worth swapping them over?  

Any general blinky racing hint's or 419 advice would also be much appreciated.

Thanks

mmmmmm  shiny thing :)

20170523_17303520170711_183145

20170711_183203

I'd check that there's no fdr restrictions in the clubs rules, most blinky series tend to use them to keep the playing field as level as possible. If I remember rightly when I raced blinky tc I used an fdr of about 7.5:1 and it was plenty quick. 

As far as setup is concerned I'd run the car the way it is and see how it works around the track before you make any changes. Then change one thing at a time so you can see what difference it has on the cars behavior. It really is just a balancing act because everything you change will affect just about everything else, you want to get the car as neutral as possible and to be as easy to drive as possible. There's also a lot of great setups on the petit rc site so you could always look at those and see if any of them are useful to you. I'd look for one that's close to the conditions you'll be racing in and adapt it to suit your needs. 

As far as driving is concerned don't focus on going as fast as you can instead focus on driving as consistently as you can and making as few mistakes as possible. An average crash will cost you about 6 seconds per incident and they soon start to add up. Remember you're not racing the other cars, you're racing the clock. 

The best advice I can give you is to relax and enjoy yourself if you take it too seriously you'll come away from the track in a foul mood and won't enjoy it. At the end of the day we're just grown men playing with toy cars and those people who want to stress about it will do so but never forget it's all about fun. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check www.thercracer.com it has lots of set-ups and detailed race info for Tamiya cars including the TRF419X.

gearing is really about your track layout and size. As a rough guide you want to use a spur /pinion combo that mounts the motor so it is in the middle of the motor holes (it handles best there). (Basically both the spur and pinion teeth need to add up to 148-9 ish)

if it's high grip (which black carpet usually is) then the alloy chassis will make the car easier to drive. 

I run on a very small technical track and run a 41t pinion and 108t spur (4.87 FDR)

Use 64dp gears. 48dp are for trucks or dirt cars. 64dp is smooth and gives you finer gearing adjustments.

The best thing is to ask what FDR the drivers are running there. They will all share this. You can then get the right pinion / spur combo. Buy some opinions that are a couple of teeth smaller and larger to give you a little bit of tuning when you start running it.

• Thanks 1