graemevw

Tomahawk restoration

Picked this up, unexpected next project.

Not 100% sure how to tackle it.

It is mostly there, just needs some cleaning and attention.

Issues known so far...

1 rear shock missing

Body split a little and not trimmed brilliantly

Decals tatty

driver figure brittle and very cracked

Tyres hard, fronts show cracks when squeezed

Dog bones missing

Gearbox seems seized.

What im unsure about is if I should just chuck a load of re re parts at it or keep as much as possible. Im tempted to strip and repair the driver/body, repaint and keep original decals.

Might get some re re wheels and tyres so I can run it, I dont think I will get the originals off in one piece. They are too good to destroy but not good enough to use. 

Are the re re shocks identical? Decals the same? Dogbones the same length?

Also, can anyone tell me the angle the chassis rails are supposed to be bent. Not sure if these are tweaked. 

Seems to have 35mhz radio and some add on voltage reducer.

Any advice of this would be appreciated.

It doesnt have to end up mint, but nice and usable would be good.

20170908_125133.jpg

20170908_125150.jpg

20170908_125210.jpg

20170908_125221.jpg

Im not sure now which shock im missing. Manual isnt clear. I have 2 longer body shocks with longer, thinner springs (rear?) And 1 shorter body shock with a short stiff spring (front?)

And its stripped.

A nicely built car. I like the needle bearings in the rear!

It doesnt seem to have had much use at all. All scews underneath are un worn, doesnt look like its ever been apart either. Gears are all perfect.

Diff had seized solid with grime but its all free and lovely now.

20170908_162435.jpg

20170908_162349.jpg

I cant use the reciever, but the servos I might.

They are sanwa sm421 and sm422.

They seem smaller than normal but fit perfectly. Not sure my other servos will even fit in the top plate.

They have big plugs though. Before I go chopping wiring, are these servos rubbish? Or maybe even collectable  (I doubt it).

The car wont be run much so it doesnt need great servos.

Been cleaning parts and sorting the body.

Driver figure was very brittle and  smashed. I stripped what was left of the paint with nitro. The paint had clouded the lexan badly apart from the blue areas. I have glued it back together using plastex. Its nice and strong again but will need painting on the outside.

The body was the same blue that hadnt clouded the driver so I stripped that too. I will make my own white decals and then just find a few sponsor decals. Body sets are available, but id like to limit the amount of re release parts on this.

I got the tyres off the rims, I think ill clean them up and glue them back on nicely.  They are fine for display. Ill get new wheels and tyres to run it on.

Does anyone know if the re re dog bones will fit? Anyone got a tomohawk they can measure?

Finding a shock is looking impossible, may have to fit new ones :(

20170910_171012.jpg

20170910_171023.jpg

20170910_171057.jpg

Chassis is pretty much done apart from shocks and driveshafts.

Lots of parts have been ordered.

In the mean time, driver is done. Not too bad considering the trodden on, smashed up thing I had to start with!

Body has been painted, just need to sort out some decals. 

The body has some splits but is ok. I dont want to put new decals on it as they would be wasted on this shell, so ill make some up. 

20170914_191317.jpg

I decided not to cut the windows as the shells main split is just at the base of the windscreen bar pillar. If I can reinforce the body well enough I might cut the windows later.

20170914_192034.jpg

Its been a while, I was waiting for some parts from japan which never arrived.

Granddad Stinky provided some more decals so it looks a little more complete.

It only really needs rear drive shafts and one front shock. Hard to find though!

This is how it sits, tormenting me with how close I am to running it.

20171028_113114.jpg

20171028_112524.jpg

• Like 2

Good job restoring this one, @graemevw  Get in touch with me via my site sometime with a list of the original parts you need as I may be able to help.

Though dimensions may be close, I doubt that any of the physical parts of the remake are identical, since the remake was largely remolded in Taiwan. The decals are definitely not the same.

Nice that it has the original embossed Goodyear tyres as well, as those are very rare!

• Thanks 1